News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Questions about tables. (I have tried google)  (Read 2678 times)

LusciousFox

• View Profile
Questions about tables. (I have tried google)
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:32 am »
I'm very new to Rom hacking but I can understand some of the fundamentals such as Binary, Hex and Decimal conversion and a bit of C++.
I have made a table of Pokemon yellow from a-z but I would like to completely dump all of it's font. What I mean is I want to build a table for new lines, 0-9, $!?, etc.

I read the old guides on table creation, checked out datacrystal and googled several things relating to table making for rom's but I didn't get far. I also checked out older posts here clicking whatever looked like it might help (do you guys have a search button somewhere?).

To try and get some of these more elusive entries I got tile layer pro and sifted through the tiles for the font. I'm not sure if I'm just a blind fool or the roms compressed but I couldn't find much relating to the font. What I did find however was a series of A~H or so tiles that had half the letter per tile.

arranged they would be like  T   but since one letter fits across two tiles I don't think they are the font but rather something else (like the pokemart sign I found).
                                              H
                                              I
                                              S

TL;DR
I am asking for help on building tables beyond the relative search method.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Questions about tables. (I have tried google)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:35:33 am »
Have you tried using the plus and minus keys to scroll by byte rather than tile? Graphics are under no obligation to be conveniently tile-aligned.

Also, try viewing the ROM in 1BPP mode. The font is purely monochrome - they might have tried to save space by storing it in 1BPP mode instead of 2BPP.

Alternately, if you're running BGB or a similarly well-featured emulator, try viewing VRAM while text is displayed on screen. Some games will copy only the character tiles they need to VRAM; others will copy the entire font and update the tilemap as necessary.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

LusciousFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:49:56 am »
Thanks, this answers my questions exactly.
I'll download BGB now since the emulator I use is just gpSP Kai, a PSP homebrew app.

EDIT:
BGB is working great thanks! I have mapped nearly all of the font.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:19:37 am by LusciousFox »

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:41:53 am »
By the way, the  search button is just on the center on top of the forum window...just below the date :p

LusciousFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:45:22 pm »
Hmm, yes sorry about that it turns out I need to log in to actually see the search button. Weird.