News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Sumo Wrestling!

Started by Pennywise, February 02, 2011, 12:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pennywise

I guess I got kind of bored and I think this would be an interesting game to hack.

If anyone wants to create mockups for horizontal interfaces, I would welcome it. I think converting most of the text to read horizontally is a real possibility as long as hacking one screen doesn't affect another *crosses fingers*

DarknessSavior

Title: つっぱり大相撲
Slap! Great/Big Sumo

りきしのこころえをいれてください
Please enter the information about the sumo wrestler.

おやかた!へやをえらんでください
Coach, please select a room!

ここのかべや
The Nine Days Room
さすがのべや
The Clever Room
はだかのべや
The Bare Room (*Note: it's also the word for "naked", so it could be a pun)
あかん べや
The Terrible Room

The next screenshot has the names of the room, and I assume you're selecting wrestlers to use them, or something.:

0勝 - 0 Wins

I'm -totally- guessing on these names, since I have no idea how that whole "select the readings for names" thing works.

百勝山 - Mondo Kachiyama
小回山 - Sho Kaiyama
八九三海 - Yaku Miumi
勝勝山 - Kaji Katsuyama
五月竜 - No clue. >_>
黒天竜 - Kurosaki Tenryuu

The next screen has the character names on the side from before.

しっかりせんかい!
Keep it together, Senkai! (Senkai is a name).

すごいぞ、てくもべやにはいれるよ!
Awesome! You can get into the Tecmo room now!

Next one just has two signs:

西方         東方
West Side       East Side

The next one looks like a...naming screen of sorts:

一二三四五六七
八九十0海頭月
?場山千??里
?士竜大勝ノ?
天?楽小方?秋
?関黒所日結東
前目?代百雲?
手??光出?

And you can't make me touch the last one. Too many kanji I don't know. :P

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Pennywise

Thanks, I'm not even sure I'll end up translating the names. Might not be able to fit them all in 8 tiles. As for that last screen, not too sure what's going on in the middle. See there's 4 kanji for the first name and then up to 3 kanji for something else then back to 4 kanji for the name.

DarknessSavior

Quote from: Pennywise on February 02, 2011, 01:55:59 AM
Thanks, I'm not even sure I'll end up translating the names. Might not be able to fit them all in 8 tiles. As for that last screen, not too sure what's going on in the middle. See there's 4 kanji for the first name and then up to 3 kanji for something else then back to 4 kanji for the name.
Took me a sec to figure it out, once I recognized one of the kanji pairs. It's ranking. I don't know all of the terms, but, for example:

横綱 - Yokozuna (highest rank in sumo)
大関 - Oozeki (Second highest rank)

etc, etc.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

BRPXQZME

Quote from: DarknessSavior on February 02, 2011, 01:28:39 AM
おやかた!へやをえらんでください
Coach, please select a room!

ここのかべや
The Nine Days Room
さすがのべや
The Clever Room
はだかのべや
The Bare Room (*Note: it's also the word for "naked", so it could be a pun)
あかん べや
The Terrible Room
部屋 in the context should be translated "stable". Why? I dunno who decided it originally. But you wouldn't be likely to call some place a recording office, or an advertising bureau, or a law concern; the preferred terms are studio, agency, and firm, respectively. So it is with sumō stables.

The next screenshot has the names of the room, and I assume you're selecting wrestlers to use them, or something.:

百勝山 - Mondo Kachiyama
小回山 - Sho Kaiyama
八九三海 - Yaku Miumi
勝勝山 - Kaji Katsuyama
五月竜 - No clue. >_>
黒天竜 - Kurosaki Tenryuu
The only Japanese site that hazards guesses (which itself admits that they are guesses) says: Hyakushōsan, Omawarisan, Yakuzaumi, Kachikachiyama, Satsukiryū, Kokutenryū. Satsukiryū, at least, was the shikona of a real rikishi, and some of the names (like real sumō names) have positive connotations. Like a lot of these Tecmo sports games, some of them are whimsical puns (o-mawari-san means policeman; kachikachi-yama comes from a Japanese folktale; hyakushō could be "a hundred victories" like the kanji says, but with a different "shō" means "farmer").

一二三四五六七
八九十0海頭月
場山千富潮
士竜大勝ノ脇
西楽小方
関黒所日結東
前目代百雲
腹児光出
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Pennywise

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has any suggestions for creative ways to translate the title and so that this thread isn't eventually pruned because I plan on converting all of the vertical stuff to horizontal. Anyway, I've had several title screens designed for me and I might as well add another to the list.

Wait, I thought of something. Clash of the Sumos anyone?

Pennywise

I'm not actually working on this anymore. It got put on the backburner and I've never gotten back to it. Hard to say if I'll ever do anything significant with it.

i tried to get ahold of you 100 years ago to work on it with me

download my rom and look at it

Pennywise

No thank you. Locking topic as there is no point in continuing this discussion for a dead project.