News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Fire Emblem NES pointers  (Read 3975 times)

Quirino

• View Profile
Fire Emblem NES pointers
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:29:49 pm »
While I just about finished a translation patch for this game, but that doesn't mean I'm done with it yet. I tried to learn to repoint the text. I try this using this method, but it already goes wrong when I try to open up the PPU viewer: the font is not showed at the screen where it's displayed. Well, in a screen where it is showed, I wrote down the code and thus found it in my HEX editor.

But obviously, I also can't find the text in PPU viewer and worse: not in CPU viewer either. Is there a way for me to still find this text so I can find the pointer for it?
Fire Emblem translation romhacking topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10647.0.html

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem NES pointers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:38:41 pm »
I guess you're not going to be able to see the font because of the mapper.

It's normal for some games to switch CHR-ROM midframe. In that case, you'd just adjust the PPU/Nametable Viewer in FCEUX to display on any scanline where text is displayed.
But it looks like MMC4 is a special case (used only on Fire Emblem/Gaiden, Famicom Wars, and maybe Japanese Punch-Out). It allows them to use special tiles (FD and FE) to do CHR-ROM swaps mid-scanline. Unfortunately, FCEUX's viewers won't let you choose the horizontal position where the viewer windows are refreshed.
(meaning that whenever the PPU tries to draw the special tile numbers, it'll do a bankswap instead)
So, you're out of luck being able to view the font in this game. :(
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Quirino

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem NES pointers
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 04:00:35 pm »
OK, typical it's just used for this game... I heard this game's a hell to ASM hack, but it seems like this game does everything to not get ASM hacked. Thanks for the answer anyway. I guess I should give up on that idea :P

edit: OK, found how the game stores dialogue pointers. So never mind the previous question.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:17:39 am by Quirino »
Fire Emblem translation romhacking topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10647.0.html