News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: One line from Ah! My Goddess  (Read 4417 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
One line from Ah! My Goddess
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:54:51 pm »
I'm getting into the grove on AMG but I'm disappointed by having had to skip one line right at the beginning. This is the very first establishing shot of Nekomi Tech's Motor Club and the gang are working on some motorcycle or something. I'm just not really sure what iifukeguai means. I can guess from the context but I'd love some input if someone is more familiar with the term.

;『 猫実工業大学・・ 』
Nekomi Institute of Technology

;『 二輪自動車部 部室 』
Motor Club Clubroom

;よ~し、いいフケ具合だ。
(???)

;田ちゃん、フレームのほうはどうだい?
Ta-chan, how's the frame?

;森里・・・っ!!
Morisato-!

;もっと力を入れろ・・・っ!!
Put more power into it-!

;かんべんしてくださいよ、先輩。
Cut me some slack sempai.

;ボルト締める位、機械でやりましょうよ。
Why don't we use a pneumatic wrench to tighten the bolts?

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: One line from Ah! My Goddess
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:37:33 pm »
吹け具合, translated obtusely, refers to the “condition of revving”.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 05:04:21 pm »
Sweet. Thanks. :) BTW: If you know a good place to look up auto terms like that please let me know.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:43:54 pm »
;かんべんしてくださいよ、先輩。
Minor note: The term せんぱい (senpai) means "senior (at work or school); superior; elder; older graduate; progenitor; old-timer". To my knowledge, I believe that it can also be used for a person who is one's (personal) mentor. Like a person who takes you under their wing so to speak.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:10:08 pm »
Sweet. Thanks. :) BTW: If you know a good place to look up auto terms like that please let me know.
I do not know of any, unfortunately. Of the zillion fields in which I am no expert, auto mechanics is one, and jargon is an incredibly difficult thing to find definitions for as it is. I usually figure these things out through the thorough application of Google.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:14:00 pm »
;かんべんしてくださいよ、先輩。
Minor note: The term せんぱい (senpai) means "senior (at work or school); superior; elder; older graduate; progenitor; old-timer". To my knowledge, I believe that it can also be used for a person who is one's (personal) mentor. Like a person who takes you under their wing so to speak.

Thanks. :) I'm just starting with this script so I'm still deciding on how I want to deal with honorifics and character relationships and stuff. I may just replace it with the character name but I don't know specifically to which character they are referring yet. I may just keep the sempai in there though. I think enough people who will play an Ah! My Goddess game will have heard it before.

I do not know of any, unfortunately. Of the zillion fields in which I am no expert, auto mechanics is one, and jargon is an incredibly difficult thing to find definitions for as it is. I usually figure these things out through the thorough application of Google.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Here's hoping I don't run into too much of it.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:14:26 am »
Those honorifics are indeed quite hard to properly translate sometimes. I've seen senpai translated in some anime/manga as "upperclassman". It also wouldn't be a bad idea to just keep the romaji as is (I've seen it being left as is in both professional and fan translations). Most fans are familiar with Japanese titles/honorifics, so I don't think that it would be that big of a problem.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)