News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Where are notes for games posted?  (Read 9179 times)

Zanerus

• View Profile
Where are notes for games posted?
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:51:42 am »
Hi I'm new, I joined to post notes I found on Sonic Advance 3 for the offsets and values of attack changing in that game. Since it is a fun game I thought the notes would be helpful. I however never finished simply cause sonic bores me in the game so I'm missing a few offsets.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Where are notes for games posted?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 12:27:34 pm »
There's always the "Wiki" link over to the left.  Alternatively, I reckon you could type up a short document and submit it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:31:51 pm »
Hmm I'll think about writing a document then. So with that in mind, what format should it be in?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:56:18 pm »
Most of the ones I've seen are just plain text files.  Maybe you'll get some ideas regarding style and such forth from browsing a few of them.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:07:53 pm »
I'll use rich text format, I like it more than notepad. As for guide style, I've written them before on TREZ so nothing new there.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:49:46 am »
Well, recommendation of format would depend on how your notes are organized.
Is it just text? Or do you have fancy stuff like tables and pictures.
I can't really see a reason to use RTF for that. (seemed like it was a pretty bloated format last I checked)
You can open plain text files with programs other than Notepad, by either by opening them within the program you like to use, or right-click and Open With.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:17:48 am »
I guess I'll save it in plain text than. Its more just wanting a clean format, since the notes are just text. If I knew how to make a table I would but I don't know how to do that.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 03:11:16 pm »
seemed like it was a pretty bloated format last I checked
RTF is actually pretty lightweight, especially compared to older Word formats or any format vaguely related to XML. Any text format in probably about the same zipped, anyways. I prefer RTF. Formatting can really help with readability.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 12:37:24 am »
I do recall someone posted a link awhile that was like a 20MB RTF, even though it was just a page of text and a few graphics that would've probably only been a few hundred KB as a zipped HTML document with JPG/PNG files. Even if they saved as bitmap, it was only like 3-4MB worth.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:44:54 pm »
RTF?  Surely there's no reason to resort to that over HTML anymore?

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:28:00 pm »
Is there a reason not to? To each his own, I suppose. I like to write things up with WordPad because it is very light-weight. I prefer to stay away from Word and FrontPage, which are the only programs I have that save HTML. RTF is old, but it ain't broke and it usually suits my needs.

As for the 20 meg RTF, I don't know what to tell you. I don't normally place pictures in RTF docs, but I wouldn't expect doing so to make an RTF stupid huge. It is entirely possible for the creator to do something silly that can bloat the file, but stupid is most certainly not restricted to the world of RTF.

The way I see it, WordPad/RTF is just NotePad/TXT with formatting. That's how I use it and it works great. HTML is fine too. TXT works. Just don't give me a PDF and we're cool.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 05:47:14 pm »
But all the cool OSes use PDF for their graphics layer.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 07:51:15 pm »
I'm kinda using word pad since the notes have no graphics in them at all. Also listing values is a pain, I should be done in a few days. Haven't had a chance to work on the notes in a neater format. (the notepad file I have is so unorganized.)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 10:05:18 pm »
Is there a reason not to? To each his own, I suppose. I like to write things up with WordPad because it is very light-weight. I prefer to stay away from Word and FrontPage, which are the only programs I have that save HTML. RTF is old, but it ain't broke and it usually suits my needs.

It's not relavent to the topic, but I also use RTF for almost all my writing (and it adds up to a fairly large pile) I use it because it's easy, "portable", and very light-weight. It has served me well over the years, and I will defend it to the death =p
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 05:42:00 am »
But all the cool OSes use PDF for their graphics layer.

This

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14:48 am »
1. URL 'http://www.mediafire.com/?cwyp2jtqddw05qa' is not valid! File URL's from domain 'mediafire.com' are not allowed because they are not direct links to the files which are required for automated processing. See the following url for our recommendations: http://www.romhacking.net/?&page=help&action=additionalhelp

2. Invalid File Extension in URL 'http://www.mediafire.com/?cwyp2jtqddw05qa' Allowed extensions are ZIP, RAR, 7ZP, TXT, HTML, TAR.GZ, DOC, DMG, and EXE.)

Any idea how to fix this?

EDIT: Issue fixed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:24:21 am by Zanerus »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:56 am »
Those aren't direct links, note the question mark in the url, it indicates the download request goes through a script of sorts. The url needs to end on on of the extensions named in the error message.

Didn't I just recommend Dropbox to you on IRC a few hours ago?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 10:40:49 am »
Hence the edit, and we discussed this at the same time I posted this post.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 10:41:56 am »
Oh I missed the edit, sorry. Nevermind then :-[
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:10 am »
Quite alright, the EDIT should have been in bold.