News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

A Gameboy Table File

Started by Me_Dave, January 10, 2011, 09:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me_Dave

This is dumb, but how do you make a table file for a gameboy rom. Like is there a certain emulator that can help find the hex locations of the font, or is there a document that covers making one for a specific game like Pokemon I can try that if there is one. Although I am not hacking Pokemon it could be a start if I knew what document it was covered in if at all. Please help.

Edit: I know how to make the table file, what I need to know is how to find the data that you put in the table file from inside the rom.
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

Lin

Normally, text characters are just tile indexes. For example, in Pokemon Red, 0x80 being A really just points to the tile 0x80, which has the graphical value of A.

Ryusui

Relative searching is the simplest "caveman" method. Assuming no black magic is involved with the text storage (compression, unusual table patterns, etc.), searching for string patterns using a tool like WindHex is an easy way to identify which hex bytes correspond to which characters. Make sure, of course, that you use like cases - i.e., either ALL UPPERCASE or all lowercase (i.e. if you're looking for the string "House", it may be constructive to search for just "ouse").
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Me_Dave

Thank you, I'll give relative searching a try. I did find that this emulator http://www.romhacking.net/utils/340/ can help some if there is no compression.
Kid Klown's KrazyNES

Sawakita

You could also use BGB's VRAM viewer to see what value correspond to each tile (or character).
I support GB hacking

Me_Dave

Thanks I'll give that a try. I was able to make one with search relative. 
Kid Klown's KrazyNES

Forbiddencreed

O_O thats a question i never thought i would ever hear from a sr member, by the way is there a emulator with a vram viewer for the psx?

Auryn

There is a program to view it by decompressing EpsxE save files

Forbiddencreed