News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Battle Kid 2 - Trailer video, info, old demo videos, and demo ROM  (Read 20396 times)

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
On 7/9/12 I uploaded a trailer video.  Link to it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaK-RjiZedA

***OLD POST MATERIAL FOLLOWS***

Hey all.  I posted about my first homebrew project a while back, but I figured I'd talk about this one.  Yes, it's a sequel and another NES homebrew.  It'll have new features as well as some old returning.  I'm hoping it'll turn out better than the first one.

As of 8/16, there is now a demo ROM.  It contains the intro stage, first area, first boss, and part of the caves that follow.  It also includes a game engine demo stage that showcases the other elements of the game.

Demo ROM download link:  http://sivak.nintendoage.com/BK2-demo.zip

These are some videos I've put together.  Most recent is first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUb_P102SZ0 - Demo #6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AaC7-SjOb8 - Demo #5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBxmswDIiLk - Demo #4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl9CsEpZ9Xw - Demo #3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNrsYjvLp88 - Demo #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfqN92v7Xo - Demo #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBz4AX1tmsM - Rough game engine showcase (very old)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKey1_gjjls - AVGN holding the first game (OK, this isn't related, but he does indeed have the game)

I'll try to be active here for more updates.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:54:06 am by Sivak »

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
Re: Battle Kid 2 - info and demo videos
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
Hey, you're the guy who made Battle Kid? Nice job!

But um, why aren't you selling the rom instead of only selling cartridges?

I'd rather pay to download the rom and run it on an emulator

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 05:55:05 pm »
Most people want a cart to play it on real hardware. Some of those people want to play it on a CRT TV for an authentic experience.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:01:33 pm »
Most people want a cart to play it on real hardware. Some of those people want to play it on a CRT TV for an authentic experience.
OK, well just a thought/suggestion: sell your NES homebrews as downloads too, or just share the rom around to encourage people to buy the cart.

I'm gonna be taking an assembly course so maybe I'll be giving this homebrew thing a shot at some point

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:07:57 pm »
Great stuff as usual, Sivak.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

UglyJoe

• smoke and mirrors
    • View Profile
    • ximwix.net/xb
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:33:59 pm »
I like the wall-grab in the sewer level.

Gotta finish the first one at some point (stupid frogs!).

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 11:23:43 pm »
Nice work! The backgrounds have even more detail, good soundtrack, and it looks challenging.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 11:54:19 pm »
Problem with roms is they are easily duplicated, but more importantly it also allows people to cheat and save state, which seems to be against the point of the game.

To be honest, I want to see an emulator that does not contain save states or allows cheating.  Perhaps the game itself could be converted into an excecutable and run off it's own personal emulator.  That doesn't solve the part where it's easily distributed, but it would make it more accessable.  I worry that such a great game is impossible for me to play since I no longer have my NES, and can't get a new one.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »
So you offer a copy to James Rolfe, but not to NESDev people who actually helped you to make the game ?

Hopefully he'll review the game  :P (lots of insults ahead).

Other than that, the graphics seems pretty nice for a NES game, and the game looks ridiculously hard, like the original.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 02:01:05 pm »
To be honest, I want to see an emulator that does not contain save states or allows cheating.
Um... I just don't use these features, except to save when I want to stop and load when I come back.

As far as ROM pirating, this is my general philosophy: those who are going to pay are going to pay, and those who wont, wont. It may not be true in every single case, but it's a good rule of thumb. I'm not going to buy Battle Kid, but if I were going to, having a copy of the ROM would do nothing to change that.

Anyhow, the game seems cool in concept, but the actual game-play seems a bit unrefined. I'm impressed by what you've got, but when I play it I find the mechanics a bit aggravating and just can't get into it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 05:02:10 pm »
So you offer a copy to James Rolfe, but not to NESDev people who actually helped you to make the game ?
If he reviews it, it might inspire more sales.
I can't see why people would otherwise spend $8 or more on Jeckyll & Hyde. :P
(not that I'm comparing the two games directly, just that James' reviews really make people want to play the games, whether good or bad.
While Battle Kid does look fun and I'd like to play it, I don't know if I'm quite up for IWBTG-type challenge.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 02:54:40 pm »
Problem with roms is they are easily duplicated, but more importantly it also allows people to cheat and save state, which seems to be against the point of the game.

To be honest, I want to see an emulator that does not contain save states or allows cheating.  Perhaps the game itself could be converted into an excecutable and run off it's own personal emulator.  That doesn't solve the part where it's easily distributed, but it would make it more accessable.  I worry that such a great game is impossible for me to play since I no longer have my NES, and can't get a new one.
Translation: The problem with books is that the telescreen does not allow Big Brother to know what page you're on, even when he controls all libraries and all bookstores.

Format nazi.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 03:35:23 pm »
$idiocy
Translation: The problem with books is that the telescreen does not allow Big Brother to know what page you're on, even when he controls all libraries and all bookstores.

Format nazi.

QFT and because RHDN lacks a 'like' button.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:51:09 pm by Kiyoshi Aman »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 03:56:45 pm »
I don't believe in savescumming or cheat codes, but 1. save states are a valuable anti-frustration feature for older games that either have no save feature or use a convoluted password scheme, and 2. cheat codes are handy when debugging hacks, translations and the like. Or just fixing glaring gameplay issues.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 04:14:36 pm »

Format nazi.

I don't think I appreciate being called an "anything" nazi, especially when what I was suggesting was a way to allow rom distribution while retaining the essence of what Battle Kid is supposed to be about.  Now I am all for save states and cheats and whatnot, it makes rom hacking alot easier.  However, being spoiled by save states and cheats also means more temptation to not play a game straight.  I could also lump the fast forward key in too.  A nerfed emulator would reduce such temptation and be a step towards enjoying things the old fashioned way.  It really isn't enough to just dicipline myself to not save, because it's an automatic learned responce.  You work on a computer and you learn to press the save button every 5 miniutes or so.  I am also not forcing anything, or saying the current way is bad or anything.  It was merely an idea.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »
If you lack the self-discipline to play a game the old-fashioned way, please go join the army.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 04:28:57 pm »
If you lack the self-discipline to play a game the old-fashioned way, please go join the army.

Is everybody afraid I'm going to come and steal all the save states or somthing?  I guess I'm now the Save State Grinch.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 06:01:57 pm »
Sorry for the extreme rhetoric without explanation. Perhaps I should clarify.

My only point is that the choice needs to be up to the individual, what they want to do. If they want to play games hardcore oldschool style using no cheats or save states or rewinds, emulators let them do that. And if they just want to see the nifty graphics and level designs and play through casually, emulators let them do that. And if they want to use the software they paid for on any device they choose, emulators let them do that. But such a scheme as you're suggesting takes the choice away from the people. Yes, using cheats or save states to lie to people interested in seeing legitimate speed-runs is despicable but taking away people's freedom to do what they want with their stuff once they've bought it is NOT the answer.

I play retro video games on my hacked PSP while listening to audiobooks or music. But I sometimes use cheats cause I just don't have the time in my life for a heavy time investment in each game.

Also I recall that Final Fantasy V has some hardware save points that can make the game unwinnable without cheats and I'm sure many other games have this too.

It's nearly impossible to make it through Mario AIR without all manner of save statery.

Don't fake speedruns! That's Wiitarded (TM)

Once you buy it, you own it! That's private property.

I want to encourage commercial homebrew development that sells legal ROMs as downloads to be used with emulators (including free and open source emulators) I don't want to encourage a distribution system that takes choices away from the customer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:10:58 pm by Nerd42 »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 06:58:43 pm »
ITT we cannot have nice things.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:01 pm »
Okay I see your point.  If somebody buys a game, it should be their right to play how they wish.  A built in emulator for Battle Kid to prevent cheating of any sort might be true to the intention of the game, but people hate being forced to do stuff one particular way.

The upside is it would prevent hacks called Battle Penis from being created.  I still like the idea of a special old school emulator that either does not include save states or frame skipping, or has a check that could disable them.  I also realize that one can choose their handicap.  A quick disable button can help to wean one off of states while allowing the option to go back when desired.

Besides, wasn't the point of emulators is to relive the old NES experience?  I think it would be one step closer to a more authentic experience that of course, one has the choice to make.(so yeah I ditched the manditory Battle Kid thing, which is fine since I didn't even make Battle Kid).