News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES homebrew game, "Battle Kid" is out  (Read 67925 times)

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
Re: My NES homebrew game, "Battle Kid" is out
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2010, 08:19:24 pm »
I'm working on a game, it's designed for FCEU's palette, and looks worse in other emulators.  Oh well...
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2010, 08:49:02 pm »
I'm working on a game, it's designed for FCEU's palette, and looks worse in other emulators.  Oh well...

smu also looks best on FCEU.. on some emus the browns look like green.  my NES and the TV i had (before it died (the tv)) looked very similar to FCEU actually

twipley

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2010, 09:10:04 am »
I just wanted to reply back to add two things:

1) this looks like an awesome game. I have only played through the demo as of yet, though (recently gave away my system);

2) I have asked blargg, the author of the NTSC filter, that very question. With his permission, I am posting his own reply here, which I am judging to be both relevant and informative:

"I have fell on this great game, "Battle Kid" on the NES. Would you recommend one playing through RGB on the NES, even if it was not possible for a real NES to output RBG?"

"Heh, interesting question. What was the developer intention? Since it was developed in the past few years, it was probably tested a lot on an emulator. If that emulator was set for RGB display (no NTSC filter), then one could argue that it was developed with RGB in mind. On the other hand, it was developed for sale as a cartridge, and not for play on emulators, so maybe composite video is the real intention."

See, some people seem to prefer one setting, while others seem to prefer another. blargg seems to like the look of NES games played "in a setting part way between composite and s-video, that is, reduced artifacts and bleed, but not completely eliminated as in RGB." Of course, the personal preference may vary from game to game. This is why I here took the initiative to post here to see what was on the mind of "God," ahem, of the creator... the creator of the Battle Kid universe. Of an unique, self-existing world. Self-contained obstacles to salvation. Meaning, transcending the lurking perils characterizing that world one is found locked into.

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2010, 10:34:35 am »
Well, if you really need to know.  I used FCEUx as the primary emulator.  I did not use any filters and the palette I used was either BMF_Final3 or one of the Asquire ones.  I actually can't tell cause FCE doesn't even tell me what palette I have loaded and I don't want to just load them in again to see.  They should have that feature implemented actually...

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2010, 12:27:24 pm »
Here's one thing I found interesting: the cyclops boss. What was your inspiration for that one?

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2010, 10:25:02 pm »
Here's one thing I found interesting: the cyclops boss. What was your inspiration for that one?

Who???  o_O 

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
Battle Kid playthrough by me with commentary
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2011, 11:20:20 am »
Hey all. I did my own playthrough with commentary for the anniversary that's almost here. 80 minutes, 9 deaths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yne04hukuyc

messiaen

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2011, 07:55:09 pm »
Can't play the game since my NES doesn't work anymore, but I played the ROM demo and watched your previous videos.

I'm amazed how much content this game has, both as a indie and as a NES title. Nice variety of enemies, graphics and music. 

kokie

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2011, 11:44:47 pm »
Hi Sivak, Do you have famicom cassette for sell? I'm in Asia and I can only find Famicom console , Ebay an NES console cost too much for shipping.

If you have Famicom version of this game please PM me the price and your paypal , Thanks

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2011, 12:15:53 am »
How about a converter that allows NES games to be played on a FC console?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

kokie

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2011, 01:04:09 am »
How about a converter that allows NES games to be played on a FC console?

I've bought one from Ebay a long time ago and it's doesn't work and I'm not sure why.

Been looking for a new one ever since but all that is left is the one that allow you to play Famicom on NES (60-to-72pins) but not the other way around (72-to-60pins).

The other factor for wanting a famicom cart for me is I and pretty much everyone else in retro communities here only have famicom collections , one NES cart will stick out wierdly on shelf.

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2011, 01:18:26 am »
There's no Famicom version and we don't have the parts to even make a Famicom version.  Sorry.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »
http://stoneagegamer.com/ has converters to play NES games on a famicom. You can also look for the honeybee brand. They make adapters for the famicom and super famicom, but they are harder to find and its hard to beat the stonage deal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:23:17 am by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2011, 09:39:59 pm »
I ended up getting a converter in the package with a cheap clone system.
(though it turns out using a Genesis controller on the clone, because it fit, wasn't a good idea :P )
Not a big deal that I broke it now since I've since bought a real FC system.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2011, 12:23:58 am »
a direct link

http://stoneagegamer.com/nestofamicomconverter72-pinto60-pin.aspx

costs $9.99 USD with free shipping.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2011, 03:51:36 am »

Who???  o_O

I'm sorry. I thought the little goblin who floats and has flashing eyes just had one eye.

But what was your inspiration for him?

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2011, 02:29:53 pm »

I'm sorry. I thought the little goblin who floats and has flashing eyes just had one eye.

But what was your inspiration for him?

Are you referring to the 7th boss, Zedd?  It's really hard saying all the ideas there.  Just wanted someone who could stop time is all.

Proveaux

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2011, 02:45:07 pm »
Awesome job!

U-Said-It

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2011, 04:55:34 pm »
I just wanted to say thanks for creating this unique experience of a cartridge based nes release. Too often people think that because they can buy homebrew cd-roms for next to nothing that cartridges should be just as cheap. In reality I'm sure manufacturing these and distributing them is much more expensive. That or they simply don't understand why those yard sale nes games sell for under a buck is that they're 20+ years old, and were original $40-50 brand new.

I hope you continue to create new nes experiences, and maybe even feel compelled to release a full rom of BK eventually. This being said, I've already brought a certain thread on the 1emulation forums to the attention of the admins there, and the issue has been very sneakily circumvented twice. If they don't seriously want to be kept separate from other warez sites like snesorama, or emuparadise, then they should just remove their policies on no linking to such materials.

At it were, I've linked to my vocal contention at what happened in addition to the PMs I sent the staff. I like how either they let the problem repeat, or maybe that's there way of showing how they appreciate the work from people here at romhacking.net.
http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=33023&view=findpost&p=345301