Well I have been working and testing on this thing quite a bit the last few days. I finally balanced out unlimited time mode so that it is competitive with the other modes (Unlimited boost mode and normal), but so that the unlimited enemies in some areas cannot be abused infinitely due to you having no time limit. Now I am now working on tweaking how much of a life bonus you get based on the difficulty, as well as the unlockables.
I also implemented something that people that are into hardcore scoring games will like: Your difficulty is now shown in your high score (tens digits place), and if you used unlimited boost mode, a star appears next to your initials.
# of continues has always already been there (ones place in score) as has an indicator if you used unlimited time, so I didn't have to do those myself.
I also seem to have discovered a glitch that may be native to the game; apparently once you get the option to put on unlimited boosts, the game no longer gives you 100k per boost. Even if you have it set to normal boost mode (!). Apparently the code has it point to the address for "is boost option in the menu" instead of the one that determines "is unlimited boost on." I have fixed this now.Lastly, for anyone who is interested, here is a quick guide for the original strider 2.
[/size] Including all of the hidden items in it. Hopefully someone else here will enjoy using this as much as I enjoyed making it.
Secrets list: click on each link to see a pic of all invisible items from that area, as well as some easily missable or hard to reach item boxes, and unique ones (like the ones in stage 1-3 that only appear if you go forward then backtrack, etc.)
If there is no pic up for an area that means that there are no secrets in it. Please note that as far as the item bonus goes only 2 things affect it:
1)Number of boosts left (100k each)
2)# of blue "coins/disks" collected (small =1000 pts bonus, medium = 5000 point bonus, large = 20k point bonus. All are added on to the item bonus at the end of the stage)
In other words while collecting hidden items like spacemen, red coins, etc. will bring up score, they will not increase the item bonus.
Also, in some cases, items will change based on what difficulty you are on and also what order you take the stages in (in the case of invisible items this is VERY rare, but it happens). But there will always be an item in that spot regardless of order or difficulty.
For example: if you do stage 2 first, the 2nd hidden item in 2-3 will be a boost, instead of a spaceman.
1-6 (dragon boss): http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/Esco1979/stage1-6allsecrets.jpg
2-7 (Herzog Shlang boss): http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/Esco1979/stage2-7allsecrets.jpg
3-6 (kraken boss): http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/Esco1979/stage3-6allsecrets.jpg
4-5 (Reactor Core battle): http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/Esco1979/stage4-5allsecrets.jpg
5-5 (Grandmaster battle): http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/Esco1979/stage5-5allsecrets.jpg
RANK:: this is ONLY affected by 2 things:
1. Number of lives lost in a stage
And that is ALL!
The ranks go as follows:
* E RANK: 0 to 999,999 points
* D rank: 1 million to 1,199,999 points
* C Rank: 1,200,000 to 1,599,999 points
* B Rank: 1,600,000 to 1,999,999 points
* A Rank: 2 million to 2,499,999 points
* S rank: 2.5 million to 2,999,999 points
* SS rank: 3 million to 3,999,999 points
* STAR rank: 4 million points and up
However, every time you lose a life, your rank goes down one. So if you have an SS rank and lose 1 life, you go down to S. If you have a star rank and lose 5 lives, you go from STAR to SS to S to A to B to C rank.
Also if you lose a life, instead of getting 100k points per square of life left, you only get 10k. In other words while getting hit in the arcade version is not a big score loss, DYING IS!
END OF STAGE BONUSES: Here is how the bonuses at the end of the stage work (tested on arcade for all UNLESS listed; to be tested on psx later):
1. Score: how many points you got in the stage as you went through it.
2. Time Bonus: every second you spend in the stage depletes the time bonus by 1000 points, UNTIL the timer reaches ten minutes. At that time the bonus is dropped to zero. The bonus starts off at 1 million in each stage, and can go as low as 401k (1000 points per second * 599 seconds; which is 9 minutes and 59 seconds converted to seconds). It will NEVER go to 400k though because as SOON as as it hits 10 minutes, the bonus changes to zero.
3. Life Bonus: 100k points per green square of life if you did NOT lose a life; if you lose 1 or more lives, it is only 10k points per green square of life.
4. Item Bonus: you get 100k points for each boost unused. For every small blue coin you collect you get 1000 points added on here; the medium blue coins (worth 500 points) each add 5000 points; the huge ones (worth 10k points) add 20k points each here. And that is all; all life power ups, swords, hidden icons (cow, star, etc.), and ANY RED COINS do NOT give ANY POINTS HERE!
5. Special Bonus: if you do not die in a stage you get 300k points; on the psx this was increased to 1.8 MILLION points!
Here are the values of all hidden items, and a few other useful things too:
1. Small blue coin: 100 points
2. Medium Blue Coin: 500 points
3. Large Blue Coin: 10k points
4. Slashing something (includes F, F Slash move): 100 points
5. Sword Power up projectile hits something: 200 points
6. Savage Slash something: 300 points
7. Boost Wave hits something: 500 points
8. small Red Coin: 1000
8a. medium red coin: 5000 points
9. Barrel: 2000 points
10. Son Son (red monkey): 10k points
11. Star: 20K points
12. Spaceman: 30k points
13. Yaschichi: 50k points
14. Grab a sword, life, or boost power up when not needed (already have 5 boosts for example): 5000 points
15: grab a max life up with full life and 8 max hp already: 8000 points.
16: grab a RESTORE max life with full life (item only appears on easier modes, EXCEPT the hidden one in
stage zero): 10000 points
While it seems to most that the best way to get a high score is to run through a stage as fast as possible, get as many hidden points items as possible, and do not get hit, THIS IS NOT TRUE!. In truth, the best way is to not get hit, not use boost, get thru the stage in under 10 minutes, get as many hidden items worth 5k and up as you can, AND kill most enemies you come across when it can be done quickly. The reason is simple:
1 second=1000 points
The weakest enemy in the game that drops a blue coin (the little robots in stage 1) takes 1 hit, is worth 100 points and drops 1-2 blue coins. So if he was slashed and drop 1 coin that is 100+100+100+1000 (end of the stage) which is 1300.
So if you saw 3 of them and could kill them in 2 seconds (very easy to do) you would get a total of 3900 points which is 1450 points a second! And keep in mind, most enemies are worth more than 100 to kill and if they drop a SINGLE medium coin, that is 500+5000 (item bonus).
This also means that all small those enemies that do NOT drop blue coins (the skulls dullahan forms, the mines in stage 4, etc) are not even worth taking time killing. The same thing for those of you who like to attack the head of the second dragon when fighting Hien; you are throwing away points since it cannot be killed and you cannot do 1000 points worth of damage in a second except with a boost... and that is throwing away 100k that you will not recoup by using it.
.............now cadeucus (the last boss) "limbs" are a different story; they are each worth 5000 points when knocked out (!) and it only takes 3 hits to do so. Also the ones that grandmaster creates are worth 5000, 8000 (lightning fish) and 10k (the fire one) if killed + the coins they drop. These you DEFINITELY want to kill since they give HUGE bonuses.
As for hidden items, since a barrel is worth only 2000, if it takes more than a second to get, it is not worth getting. Even slashing and grabbing it takes more than a second, so the only time I can think of it being worth grabbing this is in stage 1 where there are 2 of them, right above each other. Otherwise, I just ignore them.
I also kill ANY red enemies I see; since they can drop an item worth 5000 (including sword power up), 30000, or even 100k (a boost item).