News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 486237 times)

niuus

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.3 & Source Code Released)
« Reply #1000 on: March 08, 2021, 12:48:14 am »
Thanks again G30FF for the quick and detailed help! Yes, I put the MMX3.sfc in the main folder, where is Asar MMX3.bat. As you said, I clicked Asar MMX3.bat. It gave me messages for each .asm file it applied, and then finally said press any key to continue, and close the command prompt. But the original MMX3.sfc was not modified as yours to a 4 MB file, it still had the same 2 MB and date 25-12-1996. I'm not sure why it isn't working, but it seems it not correcty detects or apply to the MMX3.sfc file. It seems easy following your detailed explanations. It's a shame, since the v4.4 seems to have a lot of bug fixes since the last ips release v4.1. Guess I'll have to wait until it's published in ips form here in romhacking. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!!
I'm having the same problem. The asar.exe is being reported as infected by the antivirus (HEUR/APC Cloud), so i can't go past to the Atlas step. I tried sourcing ASR 1.71 from SMWC, same problem.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 08, 2021, 04:33:51 pm »
I wonder if I typo'd in the instructions then.

The Mega Man X3 ROM should be renamed to "Base_ROM.sfc" as THAT gets copied by the .bat file and the copy gets renamed to MMX3.sfc. It'll then apply all the changes right after it's copied and renamed.

Edit: Yep, I wrote it wrong. It needs to be renamed to "Base_ROM.sfc" then run the .bat. That's my bad.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

RHZ

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 09, 2021, 09:50:26 am »
I wonder if I typo'd in the instructions then.

The Mega Man X3 ROM should be renamed to "Base_ROM.sfc" as THAT gets copied by the .bat file and the copy gets renamed to MMX3.sfc. It'll then apply all the changes right after it's copied and renamed.

Edit: Yep, I wrote it wrong. It needs to be renamed to "Base_ROM.sfc" then run the .bat. That's my bad.

Thanks for the info Justin3009, but I couln't get it work either. I copied the Mega Man X3 ROM into the main folder and I renamed it "Base_ROM.sfc". Now, when executing "Asar MMX3.bat" it seems to recognise the file and apparently copy it. But neither a new file is created in the same folder nor the original "Base_ROM.sfc" expanded to 4 MB as I understood it should.

Is this is the final release, have you any plans on creating an ips file and uploading to romhacking? Your ips file works perfectly but I read this new update v4.4 have a lot of bugfixes and improvements. Thank you!!

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 09, 2021, 10:53:50 am »
Could your antivirus software have blocked asar.exe?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 09, 2021, 03:33:16 pm »
I DID update the source just a tiny bit now and moved the ROM expansion to "MMX3_BlankCode.asm" as that gets run first before anything. That might've actually borked some things with where it was before.

Thanks for the info Justin3009, but I couln't get it work either. I copied the Mega Man X3 ROM into the main folder and I renamed it "Base_ROM.sfc". Now, when executing "Asar MMX3.bat" it seems to recognise the file and apparently copy it. But neither a new file is created in the same folder nor the original "Base_ROM.sfc" expanded to 4 MB as I understood it should.

Is this is the final release, have you any plans on creating an ips file and uploading to romhacking? Your ips file works perfectly but I read this new update v4.4 have a lot of bugfixes and improvements. Thank you!!

"Base_ROM.sfc" will not be expanded to 4MB. It'll copy and create "MMX3.sfc" and THAT'LL be expanded to 4MB. "Base_ROM.sfc" is just a clean ROM that can get updated if any of the source is changed so there's no conflicts or anything.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

RHZ

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 09, 2021, 05:28:44 pm »
It finally worked!! Comodo Antivirus was blocking Asar without notification, so the new MMX3.sfc file could not be created. I didn't think it was the antivirus because I didn't receive any message or notification when trying to do it and never had this problem before when applying rom patches.

So, just sharing the info as might help other users. I downloaded the last source code from GitHub and unziped it. I copied "Mega Man X3 (USA).sfc" into the main folder and changed its name to "Base_ROM.sfc". I executed "Asar MMX3.bat" and it automatically created the "MMX3.sfc" file with 4 MB instead of the original 2 MB. I copied this new "MMX3.sfc" file to the Atlas folder and executed "Atlas.exe - X3 (Everything).bat". The file "MMX3.sfc" was changed again with the Zero Project hack applied. I tried to play the game using Snes9x and, despite working correctly, it showed [bad checksum], but I solved it quickly with the "IpsAndSum" program to get a [checksum ok].

Thanks a lot to both of you for your help, Justin3009 and G30FF!! Now it's time to play this definitive version of Mega Man X3!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:45:24 pm by RHZ »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 10, 2021, 01:16:24 am »
Glad to hear it finally worked!  ;D

Awakened

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 25, 2021, 02:05:31 am »
I opened an issue about supporting this hack in the latest versions of bsnes: https://github.com/bsnes-emu/bsnes/issues/167

So apparently it would only require an updated manifest file in the BML format to get it working. Anyone here able to update the XML to BML format?

Frownjob

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 15, 2021, 04:49:07 pm »
I'm curious about this, "This is easier for modifying and technically allows up to four playable characters in total in a single game if modified properly."

If you were interested in adding 2 more characters to the game, who would you be interested in? I'm eager to work on some sprites, I can think of Alia and Layer as a simple "reskin" for X and Zero.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 16, 2021, 02:22:48 am »
Yup, a "few clicks" no problems whatsoever using the github code as the past previous number of posts suggests. So the RHDN page will always be at 4.1a. Never be updated again? How hard could it possibly be to create a patch. Get someone else to do it then if you don't want to.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)
« Reply #1010 on: April 17, 2021, 08:28:45 am »
Yup, a "few clicks" no problems whatsoever using the github code as the past previous number of posts suggests. So the RHDN page will always be at 4.1a. Never be updated again? How hard could it possibly be to create a patch. Get someone else to do it then if you don't want to.

Patch is uploaded and should be in queue. Your snide comment was highly unnecessary but thanks.

Edit: Patch approved.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:28:31 am by justin3009 »

MattKimura

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 17, 2021, 08:39:19 pm »
Just downloaded the patch from rhdn that was uploaded today and patched a fresh rom with matching file CRC32. Game boots up but there's no dialogue text for the cutscene that plays before the title screen, and no dialogue text between x and zero. Also no shot pellets come out and the health bar is corrupted. Finally, pressing start ends up as a black screen.

Only applied the .ips patch to the rom using FLIPS. Haven't seen anyone else report it yet so I'm gonna make note of it here to be helpful. I'm really positive there wasn't any user error on my end.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 17, 2021, 08:45:19 pm »
^^ Same as you, loads, but no text. Patch is borked.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #1013 on: April 17, 2021, 10:43:13 pm »
Same issue happened. Maybe something screwed up once again during ips building...
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 18, 2021, 07:46:13 am »
Text one was a big oof. Forgot to compile the text changes. The corruption though is.. something new. Not sure where this came from, I'll have to see if I can fix that real quick.

Edit: Some of my files in my Asar folder when compiling X3 somehow got borked to shit. So, thankfully, I had the source up on github to get the proper files from. No idea what happened to break the files so bad but new patch should be up hopefully soon.

Edit 2: Patch is online.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:03:55 pm by justin3009 »

Raykusen

• No value for sugarcoating. 100% for being honest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 19, 2021, 02:29:32 am »
I only came to this page to request one single feature, which i think everyone will agree with it:

Please make the boss dying animation as fast as Megaman X1, because they take forever to die in Megaman X3, and they haven't been changed in the Zero Project.

Its a must fix issue.

I hope you can manage to implement this in a future update.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #1016 on: May 21, 2021, 08:59:08 pm »
EDIT: Sorry, my bad, seems I was using ROM with incorrect checksum to apply the patch.  :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:58:13 pm by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #1017 on: May 23, 2021, 07:20:17 pm »
I recently beat the original version of this game so it will be cool to check out this version. With z-saber, golden armor, and 4 sub-tanks anything is possible
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 04, 2021, 07:53:25 pm »

Please make the boss dying animation as fast as Megaman X1, because they take forever to die in Megaman X3, and they haven't been changed in the Zero Project.

Its a must fix issue.

I hope you can manage to implement this in a future update.

I have to disagree with you on the slow boss dying animation problem being a "must fix" issue, Raykusen.

It was also like that with Megaman X2 so it's not a big deal to me {I know from experience when I played both original MMX2 & MMX3 games on my old snes game console a few decades ago in the late 1990s}

panchopex

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 06, 2021, 11:30:26 pm »
Hi there!
First of all, want to thank for the GREAT hack you've created for all the MMX fans out there, including me! It completely makes justice to X3 and how it should've been since day 1.

I want to report that, despite "fixing" the damage table for the worm seeker @ neon tiger's stage, it KEEPS taking so damn long to kill the sub-boss using the Z-Saber with X (edit: and Zero as well). I've shot at it at least +30 direct hit slashes to the worm before finally dying after, I guess, 5-6 minutes of saying to myself "something is wrong here!" :banghead: ...but! with regular lemon shots, it dies in less than 15 seconds LOL! I tried to replicate the issue with a savestate and after 4-5 Z-Saber slashes, the worm died and I was like "WTF?"...so it seems the damage chart, for some reason, gets "random" sometimes and decides to actually juice up the worm OR just act like it should taking 3 or 4 direct Z-saber slashes and then die. It was weird, because I savestated just before the door, then I enter, start Z-sabering his *** and it takes so damn long to die (+30 times) OR it just takes 3-4 Z-sabers to go down.

I don't get it. But anyways, I'll keep an eye on any update related to that issue lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:41:05 am by panchopex »