News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 473602 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.3 & Source Code Released)
« Reply #980 on: September 27, 2020, 04:54:52 pm »
"'Atlas' is not recognized as a internal or external command..."

Where I can possibly get that 'Atlas.exe' thing?

Woops! I just threw it into the Atlas folder now on github.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

erpster2

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.1a & Source Code Released)
« Reply #981 on: October 10, 2020, 04:16:14 am »
I think Byuu placed his personal development of BSNES/Higan on hold, and put it up on Github so people can develop it further in his absence.

his personal site has been archived as of summer 2020

After byuu retired in July 2020, he took this website offline since he was no longer willing to maintain it. However, since so many other websites have linked to it over the years, the most important and interesting content has been collected and preserved.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 10, 2020, 08:18:12 pm »
Is there a patch for 4.3?

HellboundHero

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 13, 2020, 11:43:24 am »
I'm using 4.3 and I found a small bug. During boss fights, if Zero uses up all the energy of a weapon, the weapon bar bugs and it can still be used, instead of running out.

UPDATE: It happens outside of bosses, too. The thing is it doesn't always happen.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:10:59 pm by HellboundHero »

MidoseitoAkage

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 18, 2021, 11:12:16 pm »
I try to work it on SNES9X by patch it and it don't want work at all. Did I miss something? It would be better to made a video tutorial about of how to patch it correctly with the correct ROM and IPS.  :banghead: I would really like to play that hack so much, but I cannot made it work right.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 19, 2021, 12:15:57 pm »
Make sure you have a headerless rom.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 19, 2021, 03:31:34 pm »
Why can't the IPS available for download on this site just be updated to 4.3? Some people don't use windows.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #987 on: February 20, 2021, 03:40:10 pm »
I still need to check out this hack. I've played Zero in X4 before though, and I was playing X6 awhile ago. For some reason the ps2 wouldn't recognize my save file. They also have all those Megaman Z games as a collection for ps4/ps5 that were released on the portable. Man X4 is pretty tough to beat using Zero.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 20, 2021, 04:37:33 pm »
Is there a patch for 4.3?

nope

the current patch version I see on the RH site is v4.1a.

I don't think there was a 4.3 version and if there was, the creator may have silently pulled it due to unforeseen problems (or has not really found the time to upload the new IPS patch file)

edit - I'll wait until a new version is published on the RH site, not on github
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:43:49 pm by erpster2 »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 20, 2021, 05:43:43 pm »
Version 4.3 was never published on RHDN, but the code for it is available in GitHub. It's easy enough to apply though, if you have Windows.

- Download the source code (clone the repository, or click the Code button and select "Download as ZIP"
- Copy your Mega Man X3 headerless ROM into the unzipped folder, and rename it to MMX3.sfc
- Run "Asar MMX3.bat"
- Move MMX3.sfc into the Atlas folder
- Run "Atlas.exe - X3 (Everything).bat" from the Atlas folder
- Play Zero Project 4.3!

If you have Mac or Linux as your OS (as I do), you can do this using VirtualBox, and a Microsoft Edge Developer VM image. Then you can create a quick Windows virtual machine that you can run these scripts in, and then delete when you're done. VirtualBox is free open source software, and Microsoft provides free VirtualBox VM images for Edge running on Windows 10, that are valid for 90 days.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: February 21, 2021, 08:07:28 am »
Reason I haven't done a patch as using the source is far easier to keep up to date and it's right there for the public to do as needed. Really, the only thing that needs to be done is have an unheadered ROM then the rest of it is basically a few clicks and it's ready to go.

There are a couple bugs that were just noted in V4.3, honestly not sure how they were never found before so I should probably update the source to V4.4 soon.

1. Ammo can underflow causing it to refill itself when it's empty. (Invalid checking causes this. Not game breaking, actually beneficial for the player. Thanks Hellbound Hero for finding this one!) [FIXED for V4.4]
2. Hyper Charge in ??? circumstances will shoot lemons (Easily remedied by switching to another weapon then back but I have no idea what causes this. One user reported it with God Karmachine but I have not been able to reproduce this whatsoever)
3. Palette issue with Neon Tiger after ??? (Same user, showed image but no explanation of what happened. I've had it happen ONCE with the Z-Saber way back in V4.1 but was never able to reproduce it).

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 22, 2021, 11:04:12 am »
Might I suggest updating the first post with a link to the repository?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 22, 2021, 04:19:59 pm »
Might I suggest updating the first post with a link to the repository?

Oh, yeah, good idea. I honestly thought I already did that. My bad! It's up now!

dakangel

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 04, 2021, 02:06:23 am »
Hi #Justin3009 i follow this site since various years but finally i open an acount here.

First of all, you create an awesome hack ,a task only reserved for the braves and pure heart fans of the blue bomber.
Secondly i need to ask you something related to the mmx3 (and x2) hacking.

how you manage to view and rip the complete tileset of the game, maybe this question is not related to this thread but you are some of the few with deepest knowledge of the game code.

i know there are sprite rips but, how can rip the tiles that compose those sprites (backgrounds, characters, enemies)

for example i draw a kraiser sigma body at 75%-50% of the original and dont know how to insert it (as tiles) 

RHZ

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 07, 2021, 09:21:51 am »
Version 4.3 was never published on RHDN, but the code for it is available in GitHub. It's easy enough to apply though, if you have Windows.

- Download the source code (clone the repository, or click the Code button and select "Download as ZIP"
- Copy your Mega Man X3 headerless ROM into the unzipped folder, and rename it to MMX3.sfc
- Run "Asar MMX3.bat"
- Move MMX3.sfc into the Atlas folder
- Run "Atlas.exe - X3 (Everything).bat" from the Atlas folder
- Play Zero Project 4.3!

I tried doing all these detailed steps with the unziped "MMX3-ZeroProject.zip" file from GitHub, v4.4, but it doesn't seem to work. The "MMX3.sfc" rom file was not changed as it is when applying the ips patches normally found in this site. I guess I don't have to download asar nor atlas as they are included in the file from GitHub. I may be missing something. Will the ips file for v4.4 be uploaded on romhacking.net or could someone please help with this?

Thank you for your help!!
And thank you Justin3009!! This hack seems to be the definitive and best way to play Mega Man X3!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:23:21 am by RHZ »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 07, 2021, 12:05:13 pm »
The file's name won't change after you run the scripts. The Asar and Atlas executables are both included in the GitHub project in their respective folders.

"Asar MMX3.bat" expands the ROM, so that it can fit all of the new code added by the actual project. That's why it has to run first. You'll know it worked if MMX3.sfc is now 4 MB in size.

"Atlas.exe - X3 (Everything).bat" is what actually applies all of the code. If it works, you should see the command prompt window telling you the outcome of each of the patches it's applying one by one, and ask you to press a button to continue after applying each patch. If you don't see this, it's not working properly.

The end result is the file still is called MMX3.sfc, but it now has all of the Zero Project changes applied to it.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 12:27:02 pm by G30FF »

RHZ

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 07, 2021, 02:33:38 pm »
The file's name won't change after you run the scripts. The Asar and Atlas executables are both included in the GitHub project in their respective folders.

"Asar MMX3.bat" expands the ROM, so that it can fit all of the new code added by the actual project. That's why it has to run first. You'll know it worked if MMX3.sfc is now 4 MB in size.

"Atlas.exe - X3 (Everything).bat" is what actually applies all of the code. If it works, you should see the command prompt window telling you the outcome of each of the patches it's applying one by one, and ask you to press a button to continue after applying each patch. If you don't see this, it's not working properly.

The end result is the file still is called MMX3.sfc, but it now has all of the Zero Project changes applied to it.

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for your help, but I may be missing something in the process. That's what I tried to do:

- Go to Github
- Download code as zip "MMX3-ZeroProject-master.zip" (version 4.4 at the moment)
- Unzip everything directy into a folder called "MMX3-ZeroProject-master"
- Copy a "Mega Man X3 (USA).sfc" ROM with CRC32:FA0FE671 and 2 MB" into the unzipped folder
- Rename the "Mega Man X3 (USA).sfc" to "MMX3.sfc"
- Run "Asar MMX3.bat"

There is some problem because it says "The system cannot find the specified file" (I'm actually translating this message from another language). And I see copy "Base_ROM.sfc" "MMX3.sfc". It doesn't seem to find MMX3.sfc even if it is in the main folder.
I understood that executing "Asar MMX3.bat" should expand the ROM I had to 4 MB, but it's not doing it. The size is still the original, as the date of modification. The process seems easy but I didn't work and the following Atlas process would't neither work if this first step isn't completed. What I'm doing wrong?

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 07, 2021, 05:12:13 pm »
That's strange, I'm not sure why it's not working. I know it will try to copy "Base_ROM.sfc" to "MMX3.sfc", but that part isn't necessary if you already have MMX3.sfc in the folder. It will throw the error, but the file it needs is already there.

I just tried doing it myself to make sure. I got an error that it couldn't copy Base_ROM.sfc to MMX3.sfc, but then it went ahead and ran all the Asar scripts. I copied MMX3.sfc to MMX3-ZeroProject-master, and then double clicked Asar MMX3.bat. It gave me messages for each .asm file it applied, and then finally said press any key to continue, and close the command prompt. The end result was MMX3.sfc as a 4 MB file. My original MMX3.sfc rom has the same CRC as yours. You have MMX3.sfc in the same folder as Asar MMX3.bat, right?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 05:21:18 pm by G30FF »

RHZ

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 07, 2021, 05:37:29 pm »
That's strange, I'm not sure why it's not working. I know it will try to copy "Base_ROM.sfc" to "MMX3.sfc", but that part isn't necessary if you already have MMX3.sfc in the folder. It will throw the error, but the file it needs is already there.

I just tried doing it myself to make sure. I got an error that it couldn't copy Base_ROM.sfc to MMX3.sfc, but then it went ahead and ran all the Asar scripts. I copied MMX3.sfc to MMX3-ZeroProject-master, and then double clicked Asar MMX3.bat. It gave me messages for each .asm file it applied, and then finally said press any key to continue, and close the command prompt. The end result was MMX3.sfc as a 4 MB file. My original MMX3.sfc rom has the same CRC as yours. You have MMX3.sfc in the same folder as Asar MMX3.bat, right?

Thanks again G30FF for the quick and detailed help! Yes, I put the MMX3.sfc in the main folder, where is Asar MMX3.bat. As you said, I clicked Asar MMX3.bat. It gave me messages for each .asm file it applied, and then finally said press any key to continue, and close the command prompt. But the original MMX3.sfc was not modified as yours to a 4 MB file, it still had the same 2 MB and date 25-12-1996. I'm not sure why it isn't working, but it seems it not correcty detects or apply to the MMX3.sfc file. It seems easy following your detailed explanations. It's a shame, since the v4.4 seems to have a lot of bug fixes since the last ips release v4.1. Guess I'll have to wait until it's published in ips form here in romhacking. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!!

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 07, 2021, 08:30:53 pm »
I've tried playing the 4.4 patch after building it, and I think I notice a minor bug has crept in.

When no weapon is equipped, collecting a weapon capsule should automatically fill the weapon with the lowest energy. I played up to Doppler Stage 3, and when I tried collecting weapon pickups in the teleporter room (from shooting the generator), they did not automatically refill my lowest weapon gague. No sound played, no weapon energy was gained. I had to have a weapon equipped for it to recharge it. I was on New Game Plus, playing as X with golden armor, with Zero defeated to get the Z-Saber.

What's interesting is that after beating the game, I loaded another save file on New Game Plus, and the energy balancer worked correctly. I also tried reloading the exact same save at the exact same stage, and that time I went through, it also worked correctly. It might have just been a one time fluke, or one of those bugs that's difficult to reproduce.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 09:01:50 pm by G30FF »