News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)  (Read 314074 times)

blade133bo

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)
« Reply #860 on: July 22, 2018, 12:24:01 pm »
First, I just want to say thank you for this awesome hack! I played through a few stages with the new 4.0 patch applied (Along with the MSU-1 patch meant for the Zero Project; still works with the 4.0 update!) and haven't run into any crashes or game breaking bugs. However, I did notice two oddities:

1.) When playing the intro stage as Zero, X's animation to take down the...whatever that giant bug ship thing is, seems off. It looks like the sprites used were his Z Saber sprites with the Z Saber removed. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

2.) When I beat Acid Seahorse with Zero, the "Weapon Get" screen that followed showed Zero's background sprite with what looks like an incorrect color palette applied. I used the version of the patch that doesn't change his palette when he equips sub-weapons, however, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Maybe the MSU-1 patch I applied could be screwing things up? Here's a screenshot of what it looks like, too:

Again, thanks for all your hard work! I realize the first of those two points may be a bit nitpicky, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of this hack one bit.  :)
This patch,think is compatible with patch msu normal versiĆ³n.
No with zero project.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:12:34 pm by blade133bo »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 22, 2018, 12:33:44 pm »
No, the MSU-1 should be compatible with this patch as well as it doesn't interrupt any of the code the MSU-1 uses.

1) With the intro stage, it's actually using X's buster animation when he's firing in the air. He still moves like he was wall jumping similar to Zero but it's his buster shot for sure.

2) Oh that's.. odd. Just did a quick run through and it appeared normal on my end. I wonder if there was a random bit that got set and interrupted the palette or something. That's very odd. (This is without the MSU-1 patch applied)
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

OMorty

• Video games are rad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 22, 2018, 12:55:59 pm »
No, the MSU-1 should be compatible with this patch as well as it doesn't interrupt any of the code the MSU-1 uses.

1) With the intro stage, it's actually using X's buster animation when he's firing in the air. He still moves like he was wall jumping similar to Zero but it's his buster shot for sure.

2) Oh that's.. odd. Just did a quick run through and it appeared normal on my end. I wonder if there was a random bit that got set and interrupted the palette or something. That's very odd. (This is without the MSU-1 patch applied)

Ah, gotcha. I'll see if it does the same thing without the MSU-1 patch applied and report back.

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 22, 2018, 05:59:25 pm »
Not sure if this is intentional or not, but after reassigning keys in the options (I always set dash to R), the reassigned buttons carry over for switching characters on the start menu (ex: R will no longer be used to call X/Zero, rather it will require pressing A in my case). Not a big deal, and it was probably always like this (haven't played in a while), just slightly strange to slide the menu with L & A, etc.

OMorty

• Video games are rad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 22, 2018, 07:09:11 pm »
Following up on my earlier reply, it looks like the MSU-1 patch must be messing with the palette data on the "Weapon Get" screen somehow. I beat a boss with Zero with just the Zero Project 4.0 patch applied and did not have the aforementioned issue. I beat another boss with both patches applied and the palette issue reappeared, thus confirming my suspicions. No biggie though, considering MSU-1 isn't part of the Zero Project.

I did, however, notice another nitpicky issue involving palettes which was present regardless of the use of a MSU-1 patch. Whenever explosions appear after a boss is defeated, Zero's life bar icon changes from red to blue. If it happens when a miniboss is defeated, the colors revert back to normal once stage music resumes, but if an end-stage boss is defeated, the issue persists until the next stage begins.

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 22, 2018, 08:10:35 pm »
Congrats about the release, I know what game I'm going to play once my finals are over!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 23, 2018, 04:40:54 pm »
Following up on my earlier reply, it looks like the MSU-1 patch must be messing with the palette data on the "Weapon Get" screen somehow. I beat a boss with Zero with just the Zero Project 4.0 patch applied and did not have the aforementioned issue. I beat another boss with both patches applied and the palette issue reappeared, thus confirming my suspicions. No biggie though, considering MSU-1 isn't part of the Zero Project.

I did, however, notice another nitpicky issue involving palettes which was present regardless of the use of a MSU-1 patch. Whenever explosions appear after a boss is defeated, Zero's life bar icon changes from red to blue. If it happens when a miniboss is defeated, the colors revert back to normal once stage music resumes, but if an end-stage boss is defeated, the issue persists until the next stage begins.

Yeah this is a normal issue that I'm not quite sure how to fix. It's because the blue explosions also use the life bar palette and there's not too much of a way to fix that since most palettes are used up all the time. So it's kind of a side effect. I could 'probably' code in an alternative thing when it comes to boss explosions to load a separate palette slot and then rewrite the original palette back after. It's not an alarming game breaking issue at least so I've been ignoring it for years at this point now. It's been around since day 1.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

delta7890

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 23, 2018, 08:02:18 pm »
Huzzah!  Very glad to see this released!  Just played through it today and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  The new save/load system is a VERY welcome change, particularly with so many save files available.

If there's ever a future update, it'd be nice to have something on the save/load screen that indicates which Doppler Stage is active once that point of the game has been reached.

EDIT: Unsurprisingly, many cheat codes for the original version of MMX3 no longer work here.  I was experiencing some odd behavior with Ride Armors when using an Action Replay code that allowed X and Zero to use the Z Saber with every push of the fire button but have now fixed that.  For those who are interested, the new code is 7E0A8F:80 (note that this disables weapon charging for both busters and subweapons while active).

I also found addresses and values for infinite use of the game's subweapons:

7E1FBB:5C Acid Burst
7E1FBC:5C Parasitic Bomb
7E1FBD:5C Triad Thunder
7E1FBE:5C Spinning Blade
7E1FBF:5C Ray Splasher
7E1FC0:5C Gravity Well
7E1FC1:5C Frost Shield
7E1FC2:5C Tornado Fang
7E1FC3:5C Hyper Crush
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:48:23 pm by delta7890 »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #868 on: July 24, 2018, 02:27:38 am »
Congrats on release! The 4.0 build is awesome and the skip text function greatly boosts up the overall step, you did an amazingly great job Justin! Though I've encountered a glitch in New Game Plus and wanna report it here...

I just beat the 1st round, with Zero entered all armor upgrade capsules, and when I'm making progress in New Game Plus save data I found something isn't right; I entered Blizzard Buffalo stage and hold shot button as X, after dismissing the radar map X is locked up and can't move with buster keeps charging. I wonder if my USB controller died, closed Snes9x emulator and opened Castlevania Lecarde Chronicles but the USB controller works fine, then I treat it as minor compatible glitch on Snes9x. But similar case happened another time, that is I entered Blizzard Buffalo stage and hold shot button all the way as Zero, when I reach Buffalo's lair Zero can't move, I released shot button but it still doesn't work, I can't help but wait until Buffalo beats Zero, after restarting at checkpoint Zero still can't move... I checked Snes9x emulator input HUD it shows the shot button is always being held when the (presumably) glitch occurs, I soft reset the game but emulator input HUD is still being hold and Zero still can't move... Close and re-open emulator, re-load save file, the glitch is never encountered again... it's strange.

Also I think Zero's defense might be a little too weak against the hand attack of Godkarmachine o Inary, even with black enhancement intact, I didn't remember how the damage was in previous versions but I think the damage here is little too much; but I always have a habit of charging all sub tanks to full after X's Golden Armor enhancement so I can live with that anyway.

I was worrying about if splash jump is still intact after reading previous posts but splash jump in this build works fine at least with X.
(Edit: Splash jump works with Zero.) No other weird minor glitch occurs besides the one reported so this build is 99% ready to be the definitive version of Zero Project mod.

I like Zero's "weapon get" picture since the 4.0 open beta, it's hella cool!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:04:20 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 24, 2018, 03:35:17 pm »
Congrats on the release! Made my day to see this.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 24, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »
7E1FBB:5C Acid Burst
7E1FBC:5C Parasitic Bomb
7E1FBD:5C Triad Thunder
7E1FBE:5C Spinning Blade
7E1FBF:5C Ray Splasher
7E1FC0:5C Gravity Well
7E1FC1:5C Frost Shield
7E1FC2:5C Tornado Fang
7E1FC3:5C Hyper Crush

Oh, right! Forgot about this! These addresses and I think the sub-tank ones are actually just fine still. They only change if someone cheats and sets the 'hard mode' bit on THEN it'll split it into each PC's own RAM. Good eye on that!

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 25, 2018, 02:22:46 pm »
Congrats on the release, Justin! It's been a long time coming!

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #872 on: July 26, 2018, 02:21:50 pm »
Congratulations on finally finishing this hack
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

zhaoyun99

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 26, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
How can you guys apply the patch correctly? :'(

I used this tool https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/ and this emulator ZSNES to run the patched rom. It's ok for the previous ver. of the mod but NOT with 4.0. X and Zero will shoot backward. I can only advance like 10 steps until it was completely frozen. HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

star_scream1646

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 26, 2018, 07:15:30 pm »
Congrats on this release Justin!!! I've played this hack about 3 times and love it, never played the original hack tho. I am in the process of doing so since the bit I've played is a different experience. But I keep going back to V4.0 since I can't get enough of it. I did want to report one glitch and that is when you do a new game + and start the game as Black Zero once the dialogue between X and Zero is done and X teleports away Zero turns back to Red Zero. He turns back to Black Zero by hitting start or shooting the Z-Buster, not game breaking and doesn't really bother me but just wanted to let you know. Again congrats on your release!

KaosuReido

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 27, 2018, 05:16:24 am »
How can you guys apply the patch correctly? :'(

I used this tool https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/ and this emulator ZSNES to run the patched rom. It's ok for the previous ver. of the mod but NOT with 4.0. X and Zero will shoot backward. I can only advance like 10 steps until it was completely frozen. HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

ZSNES is pretty much a hacked together mess. Move to SNES9x, Higan, or Retroarch. At least test your ROM on one of those.

Awakened

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 29, 2018, 03:10:37 pm »
ZSNES is pretty much a hacked together mess. Move to SNES9x, Higan, or Retroarch. At least test your ROM on one of those.

This hack doesn't work in Higan or the latest BSNES (which was recently revived). Someone tested it over here. Waiting for someone to test it on real hardware to see if it's the hack or emulator's fault.

Edit: Looks like all v4.0 patches work on real hardware. Hopefully byuu will take a look at it soon.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:45:46 pm by Awakened »

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 29, 2018, 09:12:40 pm »
This is now one of my favorite games of all time, let alone megaman games.  It nails the X and zero dynamic perfectly!

I wanted to add to the bug reports...

1.  I can confirm that starting a game as black zero will have him briefly turn red until he charges or you open the menu
2.  Not sure the specifics needed for this one.  When opening a newgame+ with everything obtained and zero as the lead (black and gold armor, x has saber, etc), defeat the intro boss with a green charge holding your saber slash.  X will come in looking rather psychedelic!

3.  Last one is not really a bug, but I agree that starting a game as zero has him shoot the bee and x does a weird little jump slash without a sword to take it down.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 30, 2018, 03:32:43 pm »
This is now one of my favorite games of all time, let alone megaman games.  It nails the X and zero dynamic perfectly!

I wanted to add to the bug reports...

1.  I can confirm that starting a game as black zero will have him briefly turn red until he charges or you open the menu
2.  Not sure the specifics needed for this one.  When opening a newgame+ with everything obtained and zero as the lead (black and gold armor, x has saber, etc), defeat the intro boss with a green charge holding your saber slash.  X will come in looking rather psychedelic!

3.  Last one is not really a bug, but I agree that starting a game as zero has him shoot the bee and x does a weird little jump slash without a sword to take it down.

1. Fixed!
2. Fixed!
3. X does NOT Z-Saber here. He jumps like normal and for a couple frames uses his jump and fire sprite. It's just the idea that Zero would be there Z-Sabering which makes it seem like it. X does not do that though, I've confirmed that many, many, many times. His animation is hard set to use the buster shot sequence there.

When I beat Acid Seahorse with Zero, the "Weapon Get" screen that followed showed Zero's background sprite with what looks like an incorrect color palette applied. I used the version of the patch that doesn't change his palette when he equips sub-weapons, however, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Maybe the MSU-1 patch I applied could be screwing things up? Here's a screenshot of what it looks like, too:

Figured it out. You're using the incorrect MSU-1 patch. Just use the regular X3 MSU-1 patch, not the Zero Project specific one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:33:31 pm by justin3009 »

zhaoyun99

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 01, 2018, 12:23:38 pm »

I tested with other Emulator already. Still got issue with X and Zero shooting backward. The game started with X got like Head and Armor part and both X and Zero already got all weapon. The game froze as soon as I get pass the second enemies. Any body know which method to apply the patch?