News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 487038 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero WIP
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2010, 01:09:20 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/552/

HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS!

Edit: Wow, holy eff it DOES decompress all the graphics!  This is amazing!
Edit 2: Maybe almost everything.  I can't find Dr. Doppler or Dr. Light's graphics, or the capsule graphics.  But my suspicions are confirmed that the body parts that glow over X when he gets a capsule ARE compressed graphics.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:28:34 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2010, 01:25:13 pm »
I knew about that program but I thought it only decompresses the graphics.
Does it allow you to reinsert the graphics after you edit them? Is there any bugs?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2010, 01:29:34 pm »
I haven't tried it yet but I will soon.  I think it works fine, but I'll have to test graphics to use.

This program expands the MegaMan X3 ROM in a not so efficient manner and allows you to easily import/export compressed graphics and it takes care of the rest! So now all the graphics in MegaMan X 3 can be edited! This specific program will probably become integrated into a larger project later.

Edit: Yep!  It works!  I edited one of the files that held X's life bar and removed some graphics, saved, recompressed and it worked!  I'm not sure the ramifications of this yet but this is a great step to adding new graphics!

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2010, 01:59:22 pm »
That is great news!
Awesome find, and thanks to the creator of the program. It will definitely come in handy.

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2010, 02:19:41 pm »
My thumb rested over B and Y allowing for easy jumping and firing and the side of my index finger was used to press A for dash.

Ugh, like in Rockman & Forte, I always hated that you didn't get an options screen where you could change Forte's dash to R instead.... I tried positioning my fingers in the way you described, wow is that ever uncomfortable. Atleast with R as the Dash I can press that with my index finger while still having the tip of my thumb over Y and the butt of my thumb over B. Give it a shot, you'll like it especially for that wall jump at the end of X3 where you're trying to climb away from Sigma's floating green vector head. Easier to get momentum off walls and get past those little bits that overhang above your head keeping you from being able to get higher without some space between you and the wall.

It's a little hard to explain to people exactly how I held my hand, and it doesn't really work with modern games either because the controllers aren't really shaped properly or my hands have gotten bigger (not sure which, I haven't held a SNES controller in over ten years so I don't know if I can even play like that anymore). It took a little getting used to, I do remember that, playing with my hand like I did but after awhile it felt totally natural. If you make an OKAY sign with your right hand and then move the index finger inward without twisting it until the knuckle of your index finger closest to your thumbnail touches the knuckle of your thumb that's about where the position was.

@ justin3009
Playing like I did meant that X button simply wasn't easily reachable and I wasn't really complaining about choice of layout (I've played hundreds of games, I can adapt to any layout) I was saying that I thought that making X change your weapon might work better. That is, instead of making it dedicated to firing your blaster you could make it change your primary weapon to the blaster. Press X again and you'd go back to using the Saber. My original idea was to make it change to a sub-weapon blaster that L and R couldn't change to but that would probably give you finite ammo and I doubt you want that. So if it was possible to just make each character have two main weapons that you could dynamically switch between via X button(or whatever you wanted through button mapping) I think that would work best.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2010, 02:27:51 pm »
Hm..That might actually work blacksniper.  I actually greatly like that idea.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 25, 2010, 06:15:53 pm »
I was saying that I thought that making X change your weapon might work better. That is, instead of making it dedicated to firing your blaster you could make it change your primary weapon to the blaster. Press X again and you'd go back to using the Saber.

I'd like this much more, as that's just like it is in the Megaman Zero games for GBA.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:22:15 pm by WeebeeGeebee »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 25, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »
As long as we can change the buttons to whatever we want them to be then everybody should be happy.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2010, 11:39:10 am »
I'll see if I can do something like that.  Shouldn't be TOO difficult I think.

Also for people who don't believe the compressor/decompressor doesn't work, here!

- :D Just a test

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2010, 02:33:08 pm »
I'll see if I can do something like that.  Shouldn't be TOO difficult I think.

Also for people who don't believe the compressor/decompressor doesn't work, here!

- :D Just a test

You totally should have put "[thick_Jewish_accent]What? you were expecting Dr. Light maybe?[/thick_Jewish_accent]"
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2010, 10:09:14 pm »
oi yoi yoi he wants I should tell him where doctor light is
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2010, 12:36:22 pm »
Just an update.  I've labeled all the decompressed graphics I could.  Some are weird, some I don't have any clue what they are, and some I think are unused.  Only 1 or 2 I think slots are unused.  There's a lot of blank graphics and bad ones.  Some bad ones are probably more graphics but they're decompressed badly.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2010, 02:03:23 pm »
Man, the only thing missing is level data and spc core details and this game is pretty much cracked.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 27, 2010, 02:07:35 pm »
Level data is being worked on from what I know.  SPC Core will hopefully be cracked later on.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 27, 2010, 09:16:34 pm »
Man, the only thing missing is level data and spc core details and this game is pretty much cracked.
I have found most of the level data. Once the doc is finished I will send it to Justin3009.

SPC Core will hopefully be cracked later on.
Trust me it will. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:31:52 pm by john »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2010, 02:35:46 pm »
A little bit more of an update so you know we're not dead.

I've got a slew of Z-Saber sprites ready for Zero now.  John is studying how levels are formed and what determines how many frames each animation has, I'm trying to help with the animation bit as that's what's greatly needed.

Right now I'm taking a whack at the enemy AI.  I might have found a pattern or at least an area range of where the enemy AI is located, but I'm not entirely sure WHERE the pointers are for the AI.  I know there somewhere in the range I'm at, or at least a little before it, hopefully I can nail those down and start labeling who's AI is who's.

Edit: I'm also trying to figure out how to have Zero's Beam Sabre shoot a projectile as well.  Dear god it's ridiculously annoying to figure it out.

Edit 2: Thanks to John, we're finding what enemies are loaded, where they are, and what graphics they use when they're on the introduction level.  I went beyond and labeled all enemies from 00 to 6D.  Anything above 6D crashes, and when the value is 80, it resets back to 00 again.  Though strangely, I couldn't find Bit/Byte and a couple other enemies.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:03:38 pm by justin3009 »

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 01, 2010, 02:08:08 pm »
I was thinking that since there is essentially 4 worthless capsules (the chips) in this game you might want to consider making those Zero's capsules (if possible). That way you could have a full set of dialog for X and Zero in regards to capsules instead of having to work around X getting capsules 1,2 and 4 but Zero only getting 3. You might even be able to give the capsules their own look to fit with whomever you decide to throw in them to upgrade Zero.

Probably take a fair bit of work but your sure seem to be up to it. Love the insane steady progress. Keep it up! ^_^b
---

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2010, 02:38:10 pm »
That'll be the plan in the Remastered version :D  I'll leave the dialogue unchanged for the chip capsules on X and Zero for now.  They're not worth doing extra work for.

And yes, I'm planning to give them an overhaul for Zero :D  I really can't wait to start work on the "Remastered" version.  There's so much I want to do with the game :3

Also, here's a video link of 2x Blast Hornet testing.  Two words, never again.  The lag is horrendous (Wish we could stop it from lagging D: ) and the graphics are effed up.  I'm guessing the graphics are pre-loaded so it's scrambling whatever it can together to make the enemy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrhs2Wjr2vw

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2010, 03:48:52 pm »
So the graphics are messed up.  Yeah that sucks, but please DON'T not do something due to lag.  Lag happened all the time back with the NES, SNES and Genesis.  Hell, I could only beat Gradius 3 BECAUSE of lag.  Lag is fine, and is only really a problem when it's not consistent or in online games (neither of which should be a problem here).  So too abd about the graphics, but bring on the lag!

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »
I don't think it is a good idea to make the game lag. But we will try to fix the lag if we can.