News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 485650 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero WIP
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2010, 12:24:30 am »
For testing purposes, you can have the text like this:

Minus the space.  But I think that'd look way too cluttered in the long run.

Edit: Also for dialogue, don't be afraid to put pauses in certain places or maybe "..." and stuff to expand more on the expression.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:31:08 am by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

MutantBuster

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2010, 10:24:20 am »
Yea, definately too cluttered, I think what capcom does, or at least what seems to flow best is trying to keep one main idea per block.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2010, 10:25:53 am »
Looks good MutantBuster. I just didn't know how much you can fit on each line.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2010, 10:48:41 am »
Yea that's about what they do.  I'm maybe hoping find how much a space returns and maybe change it a little so it's not NEARLY as much as 2 lines, but it's enough to not be annoyingly cluttered.  So it'd free up some room for seeing text, but maybe test that later after we figure this darn bug out.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

IrohDW

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2010, 07:14:18 pm »
I have finished documenting the damage that the X-Buster and Z-Saber does to all bosses and minibosses. It can be found Here.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2010, 08:52:45 pm »
Wow that helps a lot.  Thank you so much for that bit Red X.

IrohDW

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2010, 12:48:27 am »
You're welcome. The offsets you made earlier actually made my work a lot easier 8).

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2010, 09:40:45 am »
Well Zero being completely playable is almost done.  Just need separate dialogue for the rest of the capsules and then dialogue for when he fights Bit/Byte, Bit/Byte combined form/Vile/Sigma and ending.  Then I'll release the fully playable Zero hack.  I'll definitely still be working on this to make a lot more modifications to the game as promised.

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2010, 12:13:57 pm »
I can't wait, this has been a short wait but still one of the most exciting ROM hacks I've waited for. With all the NES Mega Man hacks out there it's good to finally see a SNES one.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2010, 03:21:30 pm »
Yeah the X series have been flying under the radar of a lot of people sadly.
I personally think its far superior to any other iteration of the series, so its good
to be part of this hack by giving ideas and help do the series some justice, seeing
as Capcom most likely won't anymore, except maybe some stupid de-make for a quick cash in
*coughs*Megaman9and10 *coughs*

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2010, 11:37:38 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq3reuctmc0 - Here's a beta for the arm upgrade dialogue.  It was slightly cut down and tweaked to save room and not be so chatty.

Input if possible on it so we know it's okay or not?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2010, 11:54:58 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq3reuctmc0 - Here's a beta for the arm upgrade dialogue.  It was slightly cut down and tweaked to save room and not be so chatty.

You really need to get a good editor, both for the fact that it sounds awkward (as if the person who wrote it does not speak English well), and the fact that it doesn't mesh well with the normal capsule stuff.

No. I am not volunteering. :P

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2010, 12:00:39 pm »
Some of that is probably my fault for butchering the text to trim it down.  I'm trying to conserve space and make it take less time for each conversation.  It's ridiculous to sit there for 5 minutes reading a piece of dialogue text in a Mega Man game.

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »
I'll be more than happy to go over that text later. Right now there are "zombie" heads that need airing out in a co-op match of Re5. Later today I'll check it out and give my thoughts.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2010, 01:33:17 pm »

Hm... This dialoge could be better, but now I have nothing special at hand besides better lines.

Red X dialoge:

Dr: Light: Zero... we meet again.

Zero: You have quite the sense of humor, doctor.

Dr. Light: ... In any case, download this arm upgrade for X.

Zero: An arm upgrade? What does it do?

Dr: Light: (explaination of the upgrade)

Zero: I see you put a lot of faith into X.

Dr. Light: He is the possibility of my dream coming true, a world where humans and machines can live together peacefully.

Zero: I... don't think that will ever happen. Sorry to disappoint you...

Dr. Light: I feared a time of crisis would come, and it did. This upgrade will be recogniseable by your system also. Please continue to support X.

Zero: I would even, if you told me otherwise.

My version:

Dr: Light: Zero... we meet again.

Zero: You surely know how to hide these capsules.

Dr. Light: ... In any case, download this arm upgrade for X.

Zero: An arm upgrade? What exactly does it do?

Dr: Light: (explaination of the upgrade). This upgrade will also be recogniseable by your system.

Zero: I see. You put a lot of faith into X, as much as I do.

Dr. Light: He is the possibility of my dream coming true, a world where humans and reploids can peacefully coexist.

Zero: This is also X's dream which I believe in, but as long mavericks exist, peace will be out of reach for everyone.

Dr. Light:  That is certain in a time like this. Please continue to support X with your strenght.

Zero: I would even do, if you told me otherwise doctor.

Opensuser

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2010, 02:16:26 pm »
This going to be a great hack. I looking forward to this. Good luck!

Have Fun!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:11:19 pm by Opensuser »

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »
I obviously intend to help with editing once I know exactly what the space restraints and block
organization guidelines are.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2010, 02:32:24 pm »
There are no space restraints at all for text right now.  Not for capsules anyway.  Other dialogue will be moved to the end of the rom where there's unlimited room practically,  so don't worry about space restrains.

There's 20-21 symbols that can be used per line on text from what I can tell.  But that variates A LOT since the game loads different sized boxes depending on the situation.

Opensuser: Yea, I will most likely do that.  I didn't know you could retrieve the weapon capsule though without the boots though.
Edit: I thought you HAD to have the boots to get to it so you can double jump up to retrieve it.

IrohDW

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2010, 02:59:52 pm »
Justin, I think that the dialogues have too much interaction with Zero and Dr. Light. After all, in the rest of the games X almost never talks to Dr. Light, so I don't see why Zero should be any different. Usually, Dr. Light gives a brief description of the upgrade and maybe a sentence or two of personal things to say.
     I think the best route to take is to have the leg upgrade contain a dialogue between Zero and Dr. Light that explains why he is giving Zero upgrades and make the rest of the upgrades have only a few changes in the monologue. Not only will that be easier for you to make, but it will also fit Dr. Light's character better.
     Although you don't have to have the leg upgrade to get the arm upgrade, it is extremely difficult to do so. I think you should either change the platform so that it is truly impossible to get the arm upgrade first, or simply ignore it.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2010, 03:02:41 pm »
I know, that's something I'm taking a different swing at.  I'm wanting to expand the dialogue to fully explain the game more and link it up to the sequels.  Yea, the SNES games and most of the next games minus I believe X7/X8 had little to no dialogue, but I'd rather have a full fledged out storyline going on then just a quick, HERE'S AN UPGRADE NOW GO FIRE SOME LAZARS description.

Even if Dr. Light never spoke much in the X series, it's just a variation of how I feel it should be like.  After all, Dr. Light is pretty important to the series and they pretty much gimp him out of any dialogue whatsoever.