News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 492778 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero WIP
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2011, 12:34:52 pm »
Maybe.  If I can get this alternative method to work then this might be saved.  There's huge sections of pointers for music, to graphics, sprite assembly, dialogue, animation data, etc.. all over the rom in order.  Specifically I'm looking at dialogue.

My plan is to bump a piece of test dialogue to bank 20 and see if the game will load it in ZSNES.  If it does, then I will bump every piece of dialogue into banks 20+.  What this will do is free two banks for extra graphics.  If I'm also able to move the pointers, I'll bump those over as well freeing up another bank and a half of space.  An unorthadox method but I think it could work.

If not, then people will be stuck playing it on SNES9x which I truly want to avoid.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #381 on: February 11, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »
Before you go writing off emulators, how specifically did you expand the ROM? Did you change the internal header information to reflect this? If done properly I'm pretty sure BSNES would be able to run this. If all else failed, I believe BSNES supports an XML file for a custom cart mapping.

ZSNES probably will not work. Last I looked at the source (It has been awhile though), ZSNES is full of testing magic to figure out how it should map a special chip game and probably wouldn't like a modified ROM. I could be talking out my rear though as it's been a long time since I did anything with the ZSNES source.

Yes, you could test this on the real hardware, but not easily. You'd need a cart with a CX4 chip and then solder in some new EPROM chips with your ROM. That's a royal pain in the backside, so I doubt anyone would hold you at fault for not doing that.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 11, 2011, 02:07:32 pm »
I used LunarExpand so I don't know for sure if I did or not.

I tested things though and I was able to bump the text to the new bank and it loaded fine on all the emulators.  Graphics seem to be CX4 chip stuff and maybe ZSNES just doesn't let it work like that?

Edit:

"Lorom" is oversimplified. C4 is not lorom. You cannot do what you want without creating a unique mapper.
- I was told this.

Edit 2: So I found a small section of empty space in the rom and plopped the sprites there.  I'm going to move all the extra code I don't need out into the empty bank area since they're able to load fine there.  Then I'll have the left over open areas be for new graphics.

With that, here's Triad Thunder for Zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoOk4M2GR-0
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:29:31 pm by justin3009 »

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 11, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »
Pretty cool! It looks awesome!

flashman

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 12, 2011, 02:54:19 am »
With that, here's Triad Thunder for Zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoOk4M2GR-0

damn you, justin! You made me drool all over my keyboard again...  :D

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 14, 2011, 01:52:13 pm »
Just an update.

I had to go over Triad Thunder's code again because apparently it was breaking a wall climbing animation for Zero.  Found where it picked the animation for Triad Thunder and fixed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8MeQyIpqs - X has an alternate damage animation.  Zero technically did as well, but it loaded his old frames.  So I created a couple more custom frames and put them together and voila.  Zero has his own now.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 14, 2011, 05:44:17 pm »
Just an update.

I had to go over Triad Thunder's code again because apparently it was breaking a wall climbing animation for Zero.  Found where it picked the animation for Triad Thunder and fixed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8MeQyIpqs - X has an alternate damage animation.  Zero technically did as well, but it loaded his old frames.  So I created a couple more custom frames and put them together and voila.  Zero has his own now.

So wait, how does it know which one to use?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 14, 2011, 06:17:46 pm »
There's a check whether to see you have the armor piece or not, which is stored at 7E1FD1.  If there isn't any armor value, then it loads the regular damage animation.  If it is greater than or equal to a certain value, then it loads the other.  I think it used LDX to test that.

For Triad Thunder, I found the value it stores to fetch the animation.  Broke that off, wrote code to check whether you were X or Zero and had it load the code accordingly.  22 for X, 26 for Zero.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 23, 2011, 10:22:58 am »
Just a minor update.  I've been diving through the X/Y coordinates of the drill to figure out the issue, I've nailed it.

Right now I'm in a revamp of fixing up Frost Shied/Drill for Zero because of how badly messed up it was.  I've found that A LOT of frames could use the exact same X/Y coordinates to save up room instead of having them all point to different coordinates that do the exact same thing.  By doing that, it'll save up a vass amount of space that's direly needed.

I'm tempted though to see if I can write a table of sorts for a few specific frames.  There's a number of frames that are exactly the same but they're spread out by a huge gap due to the games frame loading.

Example:

Code: [Select]
$01/FFA0 BF B4 C2 39 LDA $39C2B4,x[$39:C2C1] - Walk 1 (02) - Top
$01/FFA0 BF B4 C2 39 LDA $39C2B4,x[$39:C2CA] - Walk 10 (14) - Top   (Can be changed to 02)

Exact same coordinates but they're spread out amongst a pretty decent sized gap.

Edit: I've also noted that a lot of the palette loading for NPC Zero and NPC X are scattered across the rom yet they could single-handedly be loaded from one spot.  I've taken care most of them, but there's most likely a few missing I'll have to work with.  The biggest issue right now all of this is X's NPC NOT loading the armor sprites.  It definitely loads the correct sprite assembly but I'm not really sure how to make an NPC load those sprites as well :|

Anyhow, once those 2 bugs are done (They mostly are) then we're down to 4 bugs.  One of them being a major graphical bug and one that's being a minor one.  Then the other two require more custom code to accomplish.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:07:54 pm by justin3009 »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 23, 2011, 10:13:00 pm »
Yeesh this sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Not that you don't already know that but I just wanna say go you! We appreciate this! Hell most people would be satisfied with one of the earlier builds or even the cheat codes but you went above and beyond. Rock on!
(Looks to see if he can make a custom cart of this when all is said and done)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 23, 2011, 10:27:17 pm »
Oh I forgot to edit my post D:

I fixed the drill and frost shield up completely.  The number of bytes dropped down significantly.  The drill went from over 100 down to 60 and Frost Shield went from like 72 to 30.

I'm absolutely stuck though right now with the Ride Armor for Zero :/  There's NO room for extra sprite assembly pointers for it (At least that I know of right now) and it's just a large pain in the butt.  This little bit is proving to be the most annoying challenge so far strangely.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2011, 06:09:20 am »
Worst case scenario, you could always make the ride armor thing unique to X.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2011, 11:28:49 am »
Honestly the fast switching between X and Zero is much more impressive to me than the pallet swap for black armor Zero.  Seriously thought, this hack represents something truly awesome.  There have been many translations, but really well done improvement hacks are very rare indeed.
I agree with the fact that this hack is very impressive and of a rare type (ones that simply improve upon existing game code, without being a translation). However, you seem to forget that many translation hacks -also- improve upon the game's original code. For example, in my FFIV hack, I've not only exceeded the character-limit for items that the Japanese version had (8, which was the same in the original US release, IIRC), but I've also exceeded the amount that J2E used for their hack (10), up to a limit of 15. In order to do that, I had to rearrange entire menu systems in ways that they were not originally intended to be done.

This is a very common occurrence. People like Gemini, Gideon Zhi, and the like, tend to do these sorts of things all the time, but they remain unnoticed by the general user.

~DS

As a galaxy once said, "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

dudejo

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 01, 2011, 07:23:40 am »
i have an idea on how to fake a saber combo for Zero.

would the game allow you to change his charged shots for more saber slashes?

another idea could be to remove the extra charged shots so you could get the slash sooner. kind of like unarmored X if you skip the upgrades.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 01, 2011, 07:58:09 am »
^-- Possible but that's something I want to avoid as I want the Buster/Z-Saber to be a separate combo one can use.

Just a heads up.  Ride Armor is about 80% done for Zero, maybe more.  The N chip is ready and most of the others are as well but there's separate animations for each that I have to fix and then all graphics should be ready.

Edit: And Ride Armors are now complete with Zero.  There's one bug I have to fix though and that's with it loading armor slots on Zero when it shouldn't.

Edit 2: And fixed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:56:14 am by justin3009 »

dudejo

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 01, 2011, 08:56:35 am »
considering how this game was built, i think Zero was only meant to emulate his MMX2 boss form.

not sure what your plans are for the saber but the way i could see it happening is if you replace the uncharged primary fire with the saber slash, and leave the other charge levels for his arm cannons.

and assuming it can be done, you could increase the animation speed to make the saber practical as a regular weapon while nerfing the damage some more.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 01, 2011, 09:56:10 am »
Awesome.  So what's still left on the to-do list?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 01, 2011, 01:34:18 pm »
1. Fix Capsule Graphic Bug with Zero.
2. Fix a jump out of Ride Armor bug for Zero.
  ---> 2A. If on RA platform and jump out, you'll quickly slide off of it.
  ---> 2B. Make it load Zero's Height when jumping out of the RA.
- Fixed
3. Fix Password bug (Oh god if that's even possible ~_~)
4. Add in separate banks of text for X/Zero for more customization.
5. Add new dialogue in.
6. Add a couple extra features that were planned but haven't been put in yet. (Stage Select Character Swap for one)
7. Swap X/Zero on events (Still working on this.. I'm trying to write up some pseudo code to allow more dynamic swapping for any instance.)

And that should be about it for Zero Project!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:17:09 pm by justin3009 »

Attack!

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 03, 2011, 11:34:27 pm »
So a Z-saber combo is pretty much binned, then, at least for now? Darn.

Oh well, still looking forward to the finished version of this. Should be a remarkable improvement over the original game.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 04, 2011, 03:21:51 pm »
For now it is.  None of that was going to be in the FPZ, but would be in the RMP.

I'm down to the last few bits of what's left in the game.

Bugs
---------------------------
1. X and Zero need to be swapped on events depending on who you are. (WIP atm.  Relatively done.  Just need to do this on the Sigma level.)

Features to add
------------------------------
1. Add in separate banks of text for X/Zero for more customization. - Banks 12/13 for X.  Banks 40/41 for Zero.
    Add new dialogue in.
2. Zero gains double jump from Golden Armor capsule.
3. Main Menu character select

I was attempting to write code to make switching X and Zero on events more realistic and flowy, but I'm running into severe issues so I'm probably just going to half ass it so it works then get really started when it comes to the RMP.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:48:08 pm by justin3009 »