News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 495312 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero WIP
« Reply #360 on: January 21, 2011, 11:47:34 pm »
Odd.  I always thought translations with that much of coding difference was actually more known than hacks like this.  I follow you guys more than these types of projects to be honest.
The translations themselves are usually known, but I get the feeling that the general user doesn't know exactly how much work goes into a project like that, nor the differences between what the original game's limits were, and what the hacker on the project made them be afterward (information that is normally talked about in the, often ignored, readme files).

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 22, 2011, 12:05:22 am »
Very true.  That's rarely something people ever look at when playing a translation.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 22, 2011, 08:35:26 pm »
The project looks wonderful. Will a demo or a released version be coming out in the future?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 22, 2011, 09:22:33 pm »
A very old demo should be posted on the first page.  An updated version will be coming soon.

In other news, I believe I found out how to change the characters for events :D!  The only issue is X's armor doesn't show up on him, other than that it works!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:32:25 pm by justin3009 »

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 23, 2011, 07:08:42 pm »
I couldn't find the old demo so I'll wait for the new one to come out. I hope you the best on this project. Looks wonderful so fra, GREAT job.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 24, 2011, 01:37:21 am »
The old demo is on page 3. :thumbsup:

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:04 am »
Hey there john, long time no see!  Thank you for that note on page 3.  Copied/pasted it to Page 1 now so people can see the link.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 24, 2011, 11:20:09 am »
Yes, it has been a minute. Glad to see progress is still being made on your mmx3 project. :woot!:
I cant wait for the next update. :crazy:

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:57 pm »
Just an update on what's going on.

Bugs Fixed:

1. Fixed a palette bug with Zero on the Mosquito event.  Had to change the CMP to 61FFF instead so it'd load correctly.
2. Fixed some music bugs with Zero.  On 3 occasions, all audio in the game would stop because it'd be loading bad data for music.  All fixed.
3. All "Mega Man" texts were changed to X as someone asked me to do ages ago. Makes sense since he's always referred to as "X" throughout the game anyway.
4. Fixed a character swap bug on the final level. I had it loading the wrong data so the game would freeze if you entered the menu.  I might alter this so you can switch characters on the final level, but you won't be able to once the wall gets blown up by whomever.

WIP:

1. The "X and Zero switch events" is still a WIP. Have to do this swap on the final level and on the ending. Once those are fixed, this bug is history.
2. Charged T. Fang with Zero doesn't work. If you change a few things it will, but it bugs up all over. Not sure why it's bugging up so horrifically but it is.

We're down to 7 bugs including the WIP. 3 are animation bugs and 1 is a possible VRAM bug with the tip of Zero's life bar, though, I may need confirmation from a more experienced coder.  Then fixing up the password system to load things correctly since multitudes of changes have been made.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »
Sounds like everything is coming along great! Thanks for all your hard work!

Then fixing up the password system to load things correctly since multitudes of changes have been made.

I don't suppose it would be viable to convert to an SRAM system instead of using passwords? It's not essential, but I'm sure it would be appreciated by all.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:37 pm »
That's what I really want to do.  Though I'm sure that's way out of my league.  I have no idea where to even start for that.  I'm also wanting to implement a VWF routine if possible so we can save up a huge chunk of room for text.

Edit: Well, found out how to get the Saber Projectile to work now with Zero and no graphical error.  Just had to change a BIT #$40 to 80 and it works.  Only issue is that there's a "slight" lag timer between the projectile due to Zero's animation data being longer than X's.  I can reduce the lag down to about X's but it's just very slightly delayed after the Saber finishes, but it works fully!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:37:16 pm by justin3009 »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 04, 2011, 10:04:53 pm »
Well, some actual good news!  I think I found the missing piece for sprites that I was missing so now I can set up new sprites!

The issue?  Well, I have no clue what exactly the data MEANS.

Example:

This is the data that's read at 5D793 for Zero's open eye idle pose: 1A 00 80 31
This is the data that's read at 5D94F for Zero's first buster fir pose: 18 20 D9 31

Wait..I think I just figured it out for the most part.  The "00 80" and "20 D9" is the area that it loads the graphics from ROM.  I jumped to 188000 in Tile Molester and it's Zero's pose.  Jumped to 18D920 and it's Zero's firing pose.  I'm not sure what the 1A is yet and I believe "31" is the bank.  I think I'll take a whack at this sometime but I think I'm going to take a break for now and recollect my thoughts.

Edit: Just took a test run.  This basically is it, but some sprites went missing..strangely.  Figured it out though!  There's more than one chunk of data that loads per sprite to load the area it does!

Edit 2:  The first custom sprite inserted into Mega Man X3!  This is one of the frames that Zero will do when he's releasing Gravity Well/Ray Splash up into the air.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:35:54 pm by justin3009 »

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 07, 2011, 10:45:33 pm »
That's pretty cool, I'm glad to see most of the bugs are getting worked out   :)

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 08, 2011, 09:28:04 am »
Edit 2:  The first custom sprite inserted into Mega Man X3!  This is one of the frames that Zero will do when he's releasing Gravity Well/Ray Splash up into the air.

YES!  This will make so many of those things you wanted to do possible.   :woot!:

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 08, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »
Just keeping updated.

2 Frames are in, 2 more to go 'till this animation is finished.

I'm not sure still what's with the graphic oddities like..where it's loading it's pointers from really (They were fine on the 2nd frame for whatever reason).  But either case, I've found out that I can manipulate Zero's new graphics to a empty spot in the game anywhere I wanted for easier organization.  The question, did I do that?  Hell no!  I just threw it in the closest empty space to his actual graphics.  But in any case, it's a start and it's going well, albeit being a pain in the ass.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQFXnQDysSE - New animation inserted and working properly!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:50:32 pm by justin3009 »

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2011, 09:05:37 am »
just saw your post on the zboard.  i'd try it in bsnes and (if there are any copiers that support C4) on an actual console.  i don't have a copier or flash cart, but there's likely someone here who does.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:14 am »
Posted on the ZSNES board as well, it bugs up with BSNES too, not as bad but it does :/  Does that mean I can't expand the rom at all?

Edit: For people who don't know what's going on, apparently ZSNES nor BSNES likes the fact that I expanded MMX3 to a 32 Mbit rom.  Most likely due to the CX-4 chip.  Though SNES9X runs it perfectly (Which I absolutely despise...).  So from the looks of it, NO graphics can be taken outside of the games official bounds unless we're able to figure out a way for the CX-4 Chip not to be wonky or we can use SNES9X.  I really hope we don';t have to resort to SNES9X, it's..just not my choice of emulator.

Right now, I know most people will complain about it, but I don't really care too much at the moment if it's playable on cart.  Heck, right now it really isn't due to password bugs.  If I can get it working in ZSNES then I'm happy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:40:38 am by justin3009 »

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:07 am »
So wait, will ti work on flash carts?  Oh wait, it requires a custom chip so of course not.  I guess there's no way to test this on real hardware then is there?

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2011, 11:47:29 am »
So wait, will ti work on flash carts?  Oh wait, it requires a custom chip so of course not.  I guess there's no way to test this on real hardware then is there?
Isnt it possible in one of the ways described here: http://snesdev.romhack.de/game_select.htm

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2011, 12:26:29 pm »
So given release v2 is going to likely be the last one, does that mean that the Z-saber/sub weapon plan is out the window?