News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 494827 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero WIP
« Reply #340 on: December 02, 2010, 11:54:47 am »
well if that X3 editor gets finished it would be MUCH easier  to build the X1 and X2 levels in the X3 ROM.

True, but then the enemies and bosses would be different and to change those is a whole other load of sprites and code to insert.
It would probably be easier to create just Zero as opposed to all the enemies and bosses.

Shin`

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »
Looks amazing, been watching this for a long time now, can't wait to play it someday. :D

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 30, 2010, 01:23:42 pm »
I haven't worked on this at all yet as I want to ease myself back into the process so I don't lose interest, but I'm thinking of releasing Beta #2 out, which was the one John and I were working on before he went MIA.

There's a huge list of changes and bug fixes but I cannot remember them all nor do I want to look through and do it. I'll probably beta run through all of this and fix any few small bugs there are and fix up the dialogue slightly then release. I'm still tempted though to add a VWF routine for the text..  There should be enough room in VRAM and such to make this work.  I'll have to study up on this more and ask questions so I can fully understand how a VWF works.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 30, 2010, 03:47:09 pm »
Just let yourself enough time when you touch your work, okay?

flashman

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 01, 2011, 03:47:16 am »
@justin: I agree with Thanatos, don’t push yourself. If you lose interest now, who will continue the project with so much effort you did?

@all: I have something very, VERY nice for everbody here. Just download the the zip-archive from the link below, extract it’s contents and follow the instructions on the config.png file. Don’t be afraid about firing up the .exe, I made it portable, so that it won’t and you don’t need to install anything on your system.
I recommend starting with the file “mmxzero.mid” from MegamanX. Hearing this just makes me ... smile, every time! ;D

http://www.mediafire.com/?r5xtbv2akoph27x

Happy new year, everyone!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 05, 2011, 11:25:41 am »
Just a small update.  I decided to get back to work on figuring out how to flip flop characters on events.

I've found one thing, if I NOP'd out this RTS that it'd load X on screen but without any armor pieces :|  If I was able to fix that, then the event flopping would be ready.

I'm still steadily working on this though and I believe Zarra's helping me once to figure something out.

January 12, 2011, 11:14:17 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Post Merged:

I finally found out WHY Zero wasn't releasing any Beam Saber projectile like X.  There's an extra tidbit of information in the Z-Saber animation data that loads up JUST for the projectile.  Finding that out, seems to be that if Zero uses that projectile, the last few frames of his Z-saber graphics screw up due to I'm guessing a VRAM limitation.  So I believe for this to work, I'll have to bump Zero's animation data to some empty space and speed up the last few frames of the animation, then have the projectile to be called to avoid graphical screw ups.

Edit: Hm..This'll require a bit more work.  it still screws up some graphics.  I wonder how the PC modifcation did this flawlessly..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:04:47 pm by justin3009 »

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 18, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »
Just a little more on updates.

1. FINALLY figured out how palettes work and where they load.  So give it a day or two, maybe less, and there WILL be a video of "Black Zero" being posted up on here.  Not sure how to make it load another palette without destroying the game.
2. Fixed a couple random bugs during game play.
3. Sped up the "Switch Screen" when you scroll to X or Zero.
4. Sound is different in Switch Screen and text scrolls faster there so it's not such an excessive delay for character changes.  Speeds up game play slightly.
5. Removed the helmet sensor effect on Zero.
6. Zero has a partial victory pose using pre-existing frames.  I'm still unsure how the game picks up pieces of graphics.  It's incredibly weird.

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 19, 2011, 01:43:01 am »
Just a little more on updates.

1. FINALLY figured out how palettes work and where they load.  So give it a day or two, maybe less, and there WILL be a video of "Black Zero" being posted up on here.  Not sure how to make it load another palette without destroying the game.

I would suggest figuring out how it loads X's when switching weapons. I would guess all you would have to do is mimic some of that code and you could then give Zero as many custom color schemes as you wanted (this from a man who knows admittedly VERY LITTLE about ROM hacking). And I totally feel like posting a video of my X3 hack where I already made Zero black (I won't though because I'd have to plug in my old computer to get the ROM) ... and reworked all of X's colors to make them look slightly more "elemental" with regards to the weapons and a lot less random color scheme... I never liked his default Acid or Ice weapon colors and his gold armor makes me want to hurl.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

flashman

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 19, 2011, 05:09:29 am »
I never liked his default Acid or Ice weapon colors and his gold armor makes me want to hurl.

agreed, although it's X's ultimate armor, it looks like crap in gold. I was thinking about a platinum armor, now THAT would looks sexy. What do you think?
Oh and I would be really curious seeing a video of the hack Zero palette. Couldn't you please upload one?

@justin:
nice to see you working on this again! very curious about the progress you made.

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 19, 2011, 10:18:51 am »
I never liked his default Acid or Ice weapon colors and his gold armor makes me want to hurl.

agreed, although it's X's ultimate armor, it looks like crap in gold. I was thinking about a platinum armor, now THAT would looks sexy. What do you think?
Oh and I would be really curious seeing a video of the hack Zero palette. Couldn't you please upload one?

@justin:
nice to see you working on this again! very curious about the progress you made.

It would be a huge pain in the ass to get the ROM... like I said it's on my old computer and to get that up and running I would have to unplug the one I'm using now just to plus the other one in. Even then the other computer is a piece of crap and takes like 25 minutes to boot up (not even kidding a little bit... it's 13 years old, at least). Earlier in the topic when I posted the screen cap of black Zero that was from in game footage though so if you want to get an idea of exactly how it would have looked just imagine him moving and such.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 20, 2011, 04:04:38 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDKhC9Kx5j0 - Got around to Black Armor Zero.  Thanks to Zarra helping me a bit on figuring out how palettes load.  Got it now and understand it fully :3

Sorry about the horrible video quality :/

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 20, 2011, 04:45:38 pm »
Sweet! Glad to see that the project is going well! ^_^

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2011, 08:15:33 am »
Awesome job, I'm really looking forward to this!

This isn't a complaint or anything and if it's a lot of trouble I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it, but isn't zero's hair suppose to have more of a blond tint to it, it looked kind of white in the video?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2011, 08:20:45 am »
It's probably suppose to but it didn't in this one.  I guess you could say the hair palette's a WIP still?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2011, 10:31:53 am »
This isn't a complaint or anything and if it's a lot of trouble I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it, but isn't zero's hair suppose to have more of a blond tint to it, it looked kind of white in the video?

Really? I'm pretty sure his hair turns platinum blond when he uses the black armor.

Edit:

Yeah. Here are the sprites:
MMX4&5

MMX6

MMX8 texture
(hair color is just to the right of the Shoulder symbol)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:01:34 am by Vanya »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2011, 10:40:50 am »
Here's a screenshot of his actual in-game colors being used for the black armor, so you can see it in better quality.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:04:24 am by justin3009 »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 21, 2011, 11:04:39 am »
I think your palette is fine except the hair the peeks from between his legs looks too dark.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 21, 2011, 11:24:48 pm »
Honestly the fast switching between X and Zero is much more impressive to me than the pallet swap for black armor Zero.  Seriously thought, this hack represents something truly awesome.  There have been many translations, but really well done improvement hacks are very rare indeed.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #358 on: January 21, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »
Honestly the fast switching between X and Zero is much more impressive to me than the pallet swap for black armor Zero.  Seriously thought, this hack represents something truly awesome.  There have been many translations, but really well done improvement hacks are very rare indeed.
I agree with the fact that this hack is very impressive and of a rare type (ones that simply improve upon existing game code, without being a translation). However, you seem to forget that many translation hacks -also- improve upon the game's original code. For example, in my FFIV hack, I've not only exceeded the character-limit for items that the Japanese version had (8, which was the same in the original US release, IIRC), but I've also exceeded the amount that J2E used for their hack (10), up to a limit of 15. In order to do that, I had to rearrange entire menu systems in ways that they were not originally intended to be done.

This is a very common occurrence. People like Gemini, Gideon Zhi, and the like, tend to do these sorts of things all the time, but they remain unnoticed by the general user.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2011, 11:42:34 pm »
Odd.  I always thought translations with that much of coding difference was actually more known than hacks like this.  I follow you guys more than these types of projects to be honest.