News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 484702 times)

flashman

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero WIP
« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:10 am »
beforehand: this was done by image-hacking rather than rom-hacking.

A while back there was this discussion going on to make the key config available during gameplay in the pause menu. Below you see my shot at a concept for it.
The general idea is that the key config menu would be made available by pressing the R button during pause and having the right half of the screen slide to the left, just like the “zero calling screen” does it to the other direction.

left:
The style of “OPTION” does absolutely not fit into the context of the menu screen, and I would also prefer “OPTIONS” in big gold letters like the “9” next to the Megaman head. As not having access to such font I did the best with what I had, but as I already stated this is a concept and still could be changed.
I’ve put a frame around the single points just like in the original menu screen but fitted the style of the frames to the rest of the screen.
But because of these frames there isn't much space left, so the words had to be shortened. Although it looks a little cramped, I guess it would still do. I just put the sound menu at the bottom so that the remaining screen wouldn’t look too empty.

right:
more spacious way of doing the key config menu, minus the (unneeded) sound menu. With this “zigzag” arrangement it takes up the whole screen, but the words can be written out in full.

So people, what do you think, which one is better?

oh, and Justin, I had an interesting idea: you certainly know when Bit and Byte fuse into that big boss-thing, they have that quite bad-ass looking violet saber. Now Zero also has a violet saber when equipped with his black battle armor. See where I’m coming from? Couldn’t we use that in the story to give Zero his ultimate saber by taking it from the defeated Bit-Byte-Fuse after possibly having met other requirements?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »
I prefer the left one's menu config but the right one's is probably the easiest to add if anything.

And that would actually be an interesting idea.  I like that.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2010, 06:20:40 pm »
l also prefer the left. It looks a lot more polished. I don't really see much of a need to add something like that though. It would be a lot of extra work for something that could be changed easily enough from the main menu or even by changing your emulator control configuration. Neat, but not necessary and is likely something that will only add bugs.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #323 on: November 13, 2010, 09:17:03 pm »
Don't see why not. Control options in game brings it more in line with the Zero games, fitting for a Zero hack. :)

MutantBuster

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 14, 2010, 09:55:34 pm »
yea the Left ones good aside for X having Zero's body, and that weird looking "OPTIONS" but maybe if it was just written in the other way.

flashman

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2010, 03:52:26 am »
wow, I wouldn’t have thought that actually everybody woud dig the left one. But I guess you people are right, it does fit a lot more into the menu style of MegamanX.

OK, so here are my inprovements: below you see the two menus, one for X and one for Zero. I got my hands on the big fonts of the game, so I could redo the title “OPTION MODE”, which now integrates perfectly into the whole structure.
As you have all noticed right away, Zero has his normal weapon “SABER”, and on the X-Button he has “SHOT”, so the Buster which he can earn from X. There was a discussion back then when Justin said that Zero could actually get the X-Busters from X just like X can get the Zero Saber, and it would be the best (and I totally agree) that normally Zero uses his saber and separately could use the X-Busters.
As for X: His second option after “SHOT” is “WEAPON”. I saw this in the PSP game “Maverick Hunter X” that while using a boss power, X still could use his X-Busters. I think that's a pretty nifty feature.
And of course the most important addition: “EXIT” at the bottom of the screen. Without this, we couldn’t set the START- or L-Button. Oh snap!  :o

As you may have noticed, this is an almost exact copy of the normal option mode, and I tried to keep it like that. Still, in this case I think that “OPTIONS” would look better at the top and make more sense than “OPTION MODE”, as it is only a sub part of the menu.
And at the bottom “BACK” would be more fitting than “EXIT” in my opinion. But as I already said, I stick with the original option mode.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2010, 08:11:59 am »
I'll see what I can do with this later on.  I haven't worked on much hacking lately due to horrendous school issues that are still occurring right now.

I'll try to see what I can do later on today, if not, sometime this week during our vastly short Thanksgiving Break.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Attack!

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2010, 10:42:46 am »
Those two newer mockups are really superb.

Justin, another question for you - game engine permitting, are you planning to retool Zero to have special moves as he does in X4-8, rather than using special weapons like X? I don't intend that to mean you should or should not do that one way or the other; I'm merely curious about where you want to go with him.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2010, 06:37:55 pm »
I'm hoping to give him special moves ala X4-X8 but that just depends on how much I'll be able to learn and finish in time.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2010, 08:21:12 pm »
Take your time.  I'm really excited to see how this has progressed sense the bug testing phase.

Attack!

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 23, 2010, 10:12:23 am »
I'm hoping to give him special moves ala X4-X8 but that just depends on how much I'll be able to learn and finish in time.
Sweet.

I'm also totally thrilled about this project (as you may have guessed from my first post), but I certainly don't want you to rush through it and leave yourself unsatisfied with the finished product. As Mr. Clunn said, take your time. This has the potential to be twice the game the original was, not to mention rising to be above many of the other entries in the X series.

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2010, 03:01:33 pm »
Since there are more and more ideas and wanted features popping up I think its time for a feature-stopp. Isnt it better to do a basic version of the hack and advance it later instead of trying to add as much features as possible?

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2010, 04:14:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure even the basic version isn't done yet. Important things like getting Zero properly displayed when in ride armor aren't finished yet. Putting out a version now would be a bit of a rush job and I for one am against that... unless we are talking a sort of Beta in which case sign my ass (currently filled with Turkey, and at least one size larger than it was an hour ago) up. ^_^b
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 25, 2010, 05:28:05 pm »
Honestly I haven't even touched this for months because of school and some crazy idiocy that the people at the campus did to screw up my class registration.  I was suppose to register a week ago but they effed me over for a few more weeks because of their stupidity, so I'm frustrated with that and trying to do all this other plow of homework that we got assigned over break (so much for a break).  I'll hopefully get into this again maybe in December but right now, just wow.  Haven't been this busy or frustrated in a few years.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2010, 04:58:55 pm »
Why not make ride armor an x only feature? Gives them even more difference and saves time/work... This is only if you want to make it easier.

MutantBuster

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 01, 2010, 05:21:22 am »
nah thats a lame idea. People would just switch to X to use it, plus that would probably make parts of stages inaccessible to Zero.

Now back to insane possabilities, if you understand the code well enough, do you think later on that Zero could become playable in X2 or 1?

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 01, 2010, 05:25:14 am »
The thing is, you'd have to hack him in. Just cutting and pasting the code from X3 isn't going to work.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:45 pm »
X1, most likely not unless you replace X.

X2, that's a lot of sprites and everything to add.  Theoretically possible since X2 and X3 share very similar code last time I remember but I could be wrong.  It wouldn't exactly be "cut and paste" but it'd be easier X3 --> X2 than X3 --> X1.

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 01, 2010, 01:42:25 pm »
well if that X3 editor gets finished it would be MUCH easier  to build the X1 and X2 levels in the X3 ROM.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 01, 2010, 04:04:34 pm »
well if that X3 editor gets finished it would be MUCH easier  to build the X1 and X2 levels in the X3 ROM.

^ This  :thumbsup: