News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 484816 times)

MutantBuster

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero WIP
« Reply #300 on: October 03, 2010, 02:51:22 am »
Yea Definately you guys, this is like the most interesting stuf going on on the boards these days.

The Speed at which you've been pulling this all off is admirable.

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 03, 2010, 04:01:39 pm »
You are doing a great work Justin! I'll hope that a final release will be released soon :)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 07, 2010, 03:42:29 pm »
Progress has been really slow lately, I'm sorry for that one.  School has been getting hectic lately so I haven't had much time to do many things.  John's also busy with work heavily this week so we're both out of the loop until probably this weekend or next week, hopefully.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 07, 2010, 11:13:35 pm »
Don't worry about it, real life must ALWAYS come first. I think I speak for everyone when I say we are just grateful that you two have spent your free time on this
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Fox13

« Reply #304 on: October 09, 2010, 01:49:17 am »
Agree 100%

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 11, 2010, 03:04:35 pm »
Small update here and there.

I got a couple more ideas that I've told John about but I don't know if we'll put them into this project.  I've also added a really shoddy fix that removes the life check on the Hyper Chip.  So now you can use the Hyper Chip even if it doesn't start off full.  I found it completely idiotic that if you used the Hyper Chip once, switched, then switched back, that you couldn't use it unless you damaged yourself about 4 more times.  There's a bug to fix with this but it shouldn't be too bad.  Just have to do the life check in a different way.

I've somewhat deciphered how text appears on the stage select part of the game, but not fully.  I'm working on that a little bit for a character select start sequence but it's taking awhile seeing as I have to bump all the pointers to empty space so we can add a couple more parts to it..I think we have to anyway.

Hopefully after next Monday things will start calming down.

Edit: - Just a little feature for later.  This won't be how X starts each level.  This will be revealed later on when we start the Remastered project.  Consider it as a small gift thinger for everyone following for so long and helping :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:47:37 pm by justin3009 »

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 11, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »
I never liked that whole "Start the level without the armor and then summon it" thing.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 11, 2010, 09:33:38 pm »

Edit: - Just a little feature for later.  This won't be how X starts each level.  This will be revealed later on when we start the Remastered project.  Consider it as a small gift thinger for everyone following for so long and helping :D

Let me guess, multiple armors? :P

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 11, 2010, 10:24:58 pm »
I.S.T - It's cheap and effective though, that's probably why it was done that way.
Piotyr - Getting closer :3

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2010, 10:59:41 pm »
I.S.T - It's cheap and effective though, that's probably why it was done that way.
Piotyr - Getting closer :3

It's just extra flashyness that looks like crap. Starting the level with the armor on is best.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 12, 2010, 02:09:40 pm »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 12, 2010, 02:46:09 pm »
Yep I saw that.  From what I tested, it just saves the changes to RAM and that's about it.  Once you die or anything, it sets the level back to normal.

flashman

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2010, 04:56:10 am »
ok, i've been to quiet about this for a long time: justin, you make my dreams come true!!!

not did you pick up one of my most favorite games ever, but your making it like it always should have been! the progress you've made until now is overwhelming, but i also would like to thank the people "on the sideways" that support you so energetically! i would also love to help you guys, but i don't know how i could do that. the only thing right now that i can do is cheer you on, but if something comes to your mind, please let me now!

i believe i'm not the only one when i say: i want this game so badly! but please, PLEASE justin, TAKE YOUR TIME! make it as perfect as you think it should be, don't rush thing! we all will wait patiently...

one last question: with all the stuff you have found so far and will find, could we remake MegamanX4 as a real SNES game? because i think X4 was quite enjoyable, but it did not at all live up to the SNES titles. (in my opinion X5 and X6 were even worse, X7 can't even be considered a megaman game, X8 was a very good megamanX game again. i hope i didn't offend anybody now :) )

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2010, 09:45:44 am »
Um..In a way it could be possible if we knew how to ASM everything to heck so we could get it to replicate X4.  The graphic insertion wouldn't be too much of a problem to be honest minus the backgrounds that move.  So I think level replication would be fine once the level editor is complete and working.  The actual enemies and junk, not quite yet.  Hopefully once we break down enemy AI some more it'll be easier to make such things like that.

metallicat65

• It's HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 01, 2010, 02:10:45 pm »
Took the words right out of my mouth flashman
"Now let it work.  Mischief, thou art afoot.  Take thou what coarse thou wilt."

--Mark Antony, Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2010, 07:14:20 pm »
I might finish up the dialogue sometime soon and release a patch with the buggy animations for right now.  School work is getting more and more hectic each week so it's hard to keep up with this D:

I have some time Thanksgiving and then I have Christmas Break coming up in a month and a half so that should be sometime to really get back into this.

Attack!

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 02, 2010, 07:57:11 pm »
Justin, I... I think I love you.

If you need any help with the writing, let me know. I write and edit for a living, and I'm told I'm pretty damn good at what I do. I'd love to contribute to a project like this in any way that I can.

Also, I think you should skip straight to doing a "remastered" version. I think things like X's shitty buster upgrade, which nobody likes are worth changing and ultimately would be something people would seek out and gladly wait on a more broadly sweeping version for.

I love the variable width font sample, and I would be totally geeked if that was a change you could work into the game. I always hated the appearance of dialogue in the first set of X games. The horizontal life bar looks pretty neat, but the game is designed with the presence of the lifebar where it is in mind and smartly does not use that space where it would be obstructive (particularly in boss rooms). If you could collapse the lifebar into less space and spit-shine it, horizontal or vertical (and do the same with the weapon gauge), that would be the best change for it, I think.

Also, here's a throw-it-in for you: since we know Zero survived the game and his death is a mere what-if scenario anyways, why not make it possible for X to die in his stead and let Zero collect an upgrade from HIM? Much like X gets away with the saber, Zero could collect a major buster upgrade from X.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 02, 2010, 09:23:03 pm »
^-- That's what I originally had planned for Zero and X for that "mosquito" battle.

flashman

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 07, 2010, 03:17:10 am »
Hey there guy, look what I found! This is a little something I did in the good old days when I still had time to do stuff like this. This was done with MSPaint (yes, really!) so most of the new Megamans may not be ported to a SNES ROM, but I also wasn't my intention, I just recently found this and wanted to share it with you guys, maybe it give you some great ideas.
I personally like the YuGiOh-Man and the Chrono-Man best.  :P

Oh and one more question for Justin: When you do the ROM hacking, are you working with/rearranging stuff that is already present, or can you add new stuff? Meaning: Can you make the ROM bigger by adding new content to it (for instance an additional new stage) or is it only possible to manipulate the stuff you already have?
And can we make Megaman “bigger”, making his overall sprit higher and maybe wider?

Don’t push yourself Justin, studying comes first. Though, now I’m looking forward to Christmas!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 07, 2010, 09:39:04 am »
Right now I'm just using the original rom with no expansion for some code.  Once we're able to make new levels, yes, we'll be pushing those to empty space and expand the rom.

In general, yes, it is possible.  But we're still slightly confused on how Sprite Assembly works for this game.  It sometimes does normal 8x8 by but then it calls 16x16 blocks or something even larger.  It's a bit of a struggle to figure out where its' calling those.