Editing the font and text in Phantasy Star II and IV.

Started by FlamePurge, June 13, 2010, 04:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamePurge

The font in Phantasy Star II is...the most hideous thing I have ever had the displeasure of gawking at. I've gone through the ROM a few times in YY-CHR, but I can't seem to find it. I've also poked around in a hex editor to see if the miniscule text I wanted to edit was in ASCII with no luck, and hunted for a .TBL file to no avail.

While here, I'd like to ask about editing Phantasy Star IV's font and text. Similarly, I've looked through the ROM in YY-CHR, but I'm unable to locate the font. Though it's actually quite pleasant to look at, I dislike the fact that the font is thick and the numbers are thin. Also, I'd like to see about editing a tiny amount of text here as well.

I'd be appreciative if someone could direct me toward editing these--or hell, at least the font in PSII.

Thanks in advance.
Check out and discuss my projects

Azkadellia

More than likely the font and dialog are compressed in both games. I know for a fact that the Japanese version of 4 has the font uncompressed.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

FlamePurge

Well, that's a place to start, I guess. Thanks, Azkadellia.

tummai

Are you looking for the font in the Japanese or US version of PS2?

FlamePurge

I'm looking through the US version of PSII. The US version of PSIV, as well, but I suppose the mention of thick letters and thin numbers made that obvious.

FlamePurge

Nope. Is it hard? I'm guessing that'll be the key element to modifying this monstrosity, but I'm willing to learn.

tummai

Not hard, but it's time consuming and there's a learning curve.  That curve is easier to manage if you already know binary/hex or have some programming experience though.

kingofcrusher

Never looked for the font in PSII. With a table file you can see some of the text (many event texts and all items/equipment) so either there are two table files used or the rest is compressed. I was going to correct all of the spelling and grammar mistakes Naflin's Ego made when he inserted the re-translated english script but I got bored of it after making a table file and never revisited. Here's the table I had made if that helps getting you started-

25=a
26=b
27=c
28=d
29=e
2A=f
2B=g
2C=h
2D=i
2E=j
2F=k
30=l
31=m
32=n
33=o
34=p
35=q
36=r
37=s
38=t
39=u
3A=v
3B=w
3C=x
3D=y
3E=z
00=
0E=D
0F=E
10=F
11=G
12=H
13=I
14=J
15=K
16=L
17=M
18=N
19=O
1A=P
1B=Q
1C=R
1D=S
1E=T
1F=U
20=V
21=W
22=X
23=Y
24=Z
0B=A
0C=B
0D=C
C1=<LINE>
45='
3F=,
44=.
C3=<PROMPT>
46=-
44=!
43=?

saito

Genecyst has a ppu viewer, which will help you if there's another table (if the story text is uncompressed with another table), it requires dos box if you're with xp or above, period ;O
.: TransGen :.

obscurumlux01

Is anyone still working on this?  The 'retranslation' of PS2 definately could use a bit of editing and font-love, since the built-in font in the game can be quite fugly and take up too much space.  At the least, dialogue needs a bit of love.  If anyone's still working on this and needs an editor/tester, lemme know :)

FlamePurge

It's funny you mentioned this. I recently thought about trying to get back into Phantasy Star, but I never figured out the font. I have absolutely no programming experience or whatnot, so tummai's comment was sort of discouraging.

I did, however, manage to edit some of the text thanks to kingofcrusher. I think "Neihelm" looked a lot better than "NEIMET." :p Unfortunately, when it got down to playing the game, I got extremely frustrated at the incessant slow walking of the team. It got to the point where I noticed I was holding down the speedup button constantly, but now I want to give it another shot.

FlamePurge

Sorry about necrobumping again, but I've decided to play the games again! I found some .TBL data for PSIV and decided to make some files in WindHex32. They should work in all hex editors, though.

EDIT: dead link

There; now this time even if I give up, others can easily try!