News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Farland Symphony Finished At Last  (Read 12647 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Farland Symphony Finished At Last
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:47:54 am »

Update By: Pennywise

Mirrormoon has finished their Farland Symphony translation project. This is a PC RPG by TGL which was released in 2002.

You can get the patch here.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.mirrormoon.org/)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:41:57 pm by Nightcrawler »

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Farland Symphony Finished At Last
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:16:08 pm »
Does this game have any connections with the Farland Story series of games for the PC98 or is it just a coincidence?

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:19:29 pm »
It's not only PC98, but many other consoles as well. And yeah - it's one of the series.

Kronus_Arm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:49:58 pm »
It's not only PC98, but many other consoles as well. And yeah - it's one of the series.

Thanks, I'll check those other Farland games on the said consoles and try this game out later.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:46:18 am »
Same developer

RamenRanger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:02:00 am »
Do i need to play any of the other games that came before this to be able to understand this one or is it a stand alone in the series

Kronus_Arm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:04:49 am »
Do i need to play any of the other games that came before this to be able to understand this one or is it a stand alone in the series

According to this Wikipedia article some games are different with each other, but some are linked, but I assume that you can understand the story of the game w/o playing the games before it, it wouldn't be translated if you can't understand the story of this game at all.

I just hope that someone will have the guts to translate the 8 remaining games in the series...

Edit:
The game's size is freakingly huge and so is the update and English patch, I will have to wait for a while to play this game (with a crappy Internet Connection  :P), I just can't wait those screenshots are really teasing me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:16:13 am by Kronus_Arm »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 11:35:28 am »
Why is it using Japanese quotation marks in the screenshots? That one of the most frequent errors I've seen in translations, both fanmade and official.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »
I think those screenshots are from 2003. Don't think they ever bothered to update them.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 12:24:05 pm »
As I remember, they share the same world and a set of recurring characters, but it's not totally obligatory to play all of them in particular order. And they don't have exact numbers - just different episodes from that world history.

Logarythm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 03:35:56 am »
I love it when people release translation patches - but the actual games are near-impossible to find. THere was a poker game patch recently - i never found the game. Utawarerumono patch - everybody is selling the game on PS2, but still havent found the one on PC. Now this...

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 03:56:34 am »
I love it when people release translation patches - but the actual games are near-impossible to find. THere was a poker game patch recently - i never found the game. Utawarerumono patch - everybody is selling the game on PS2, but still havent found the one on PC. Now this...

Those games aren't hard to find if you know where to look, you just won't find them on ROM sites since they're for PC. Do a google search for Hongfire.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 09:55:50 am »
Well, congratulations to Mirrormoon on completing a translation. I got to the 3rd chapter last night. Kind of a pain how it's strictly battle, story, battle, story, etc., and the only way out is to alt+F4(got a 64-bit PC/OS, so it won't do windows mode, which requires a 16-bit resolution), but it looks to be a fun romp.

I know I'm only on the 3rd chapter, but it seems rather easy too, not that I'm a challenge seeker or anything. If I recall correctly though, the whole PC-98 series was supposed to be incredibly easy too, right?

Edit: Ah, here we go, at chapter 6 now. finally getting to use stores and visit areas around towns, as well as the battles picking up a bit in difficulty.

Those games aren't hard to find if you know where to look, you just won't find them on ROM sites since they're for PC. Do a google search for Hongfire.

Despite the fact that it would most likely lead you to the same place, there's also file sharing site (like rapidshare, megaupload, etc.) search engines.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:35:50 pm by FallenAngel2387 »

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:58 pm »
The first three Farland Story games where linked, the others weren't. Basically, all the Farland games share the following traits:
-Prettiness
-Absolutely no pretense of challenge
-Repetitiveness

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:44 am »
The difficulty was addressed with the PC-98 patches, too. I reverted back to the original level though, because it was rather frustrating when I tried it.

Wendell

• View Profile
    • Superman Summaries
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 12:40:54 pm »
The difficulty was addressed with the PC-98 patches, too. I reverted back to the original level though, because it was rather frustrating when I tried it.

Oh, could you change the difficulty in those patched games?  The heightened difficulty implemented by the translator really got on my nerves. 
Read my reviews of early Superman comics at
Superman Summaries!

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 07:04:33 am »
I don't know if it works for all parts of the series, but if you use the original UNT. files instead of the ones from the translation, the difficulty level shouldn't change with some exceptions. You can read about that in the translation notes as well.

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 04:48:19 pm »
I guess I understand why he tried, but it didn't really address the main problem, which is that your characters have infinite MP and so it's hard kind of impossible to lose most fights. The heightened difficulty just slowed the games down.