News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Super Metroid: Redesign OFFICIALLY RELEASED, All related questions HERE.  (Read 105358 times)

SeraphSight

• what.
    • View Profile
    • The Journals Of Miri Yuruko
It was the version of ZSNES...grr...It works in 1.51 w/e it is.  God damn you unstable ZSNES..There's 1 game down the drain...You can't netplay via 1.3x because it crashes.  This is so lame =[ :thumbsup:

I never could get it to work without zsnes' autopatching.  I tried hard-patching multiple times, but it never worked.

However, i did play the entire thing with autopatching~  so woo!  glad someone else is playing it now, all my friends are scared to play it because they aren't good at walljumping.  I keep telling them, play it anyway, you'll GET good at walljumping.

After playing this hack, i played the original....  i felt like i was speedrunning the whole game.  :laugh:

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
I found wall jumping easy ._.''  I guess i'll have to play the game later after this tornado watch is gone.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
Walljumping in Redesign is a pain in the ass on the console with an actual SNES controller. I can do it flawlessly in emulators with my PS2 controller though, something about the split d-pad I guess.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I tried using ZSNES macro function to add a walljump key, without success. :(

(I can almost do a couple jumps, but having to do like six in a row just to get out of the pit where you find them sucks.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SeraphSight

• what.
    • View Profile
that it is, it's not only being forced to walljump when in the normal game you didn't have to (unless you fell into that one spot, i forget if you could skip that, i think i did in my last run of it), but that the physics make the jumps so horizontal compared to before, that it's a terrible time getting out of there. 

Fortunately, it's a necessary evil i think, it gets you ready for some of the -even longer- or less-time-to-think walljump escapades you have to go through later on. (particularly getting the ice beam)

cyberpsygen7

Re: Super Metroid: Redesign OFFICIALLY RELEASED, All related questions HERE.
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2008, 07:20:04 am »
super metroid: redesign is far and away the best hack I've ever seen, it gives a whole new definition to the term "complete" hack!

one of the changes that i noticed most (aside from the cool physics changes) were that wall jumping has been limited to only surfaces with traction (IE not slimy underwater stuff or smooth pipe) and requires an upgrade item first.  no IFJ is required to beat the final boss (thank god).    but...    it, as well as machball and shinesparking into slopes across 10 freaking rooms is required for 100 percent item collection and to sequence break like crazy.

if you find yourself stuck there is a thread on the gamefaqs forum where i reposted a hefty chunk of FAQ's answered by drewsph (the creator).  in that same thread there is a link to a full map (with legend) but i suggest finding out for yourself as much as possible because thats the whole point of the metroid series.

Bond697

• View Profile
    • The Final fantasy 4 Reference Book
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2008, 08:35:20 pm »
there's actually a 100% let's play video of this hack(in 35 parts) at:

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Super%20Metroid%20Redesign/

also, starting at part 17, drewseph actually joins in the commentary. some of it's interesting, some of it's really, really bad.  at a couple points, drewseph actually takes over the controls and shows how to reach some of the tougher items.

cyberpsygen7

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2008, 01:37:17 am »
some of you posters, and especially the videos linked above, make it seem as if wall jumping is some impossible feat that should never be mandatory.  my question is...

since when is wall jumping hard? i played with keyboard until i realized my little brother's xbox 360 controller had a usb adapter and wall jumping is actually alot easier with keyboard in comparison to the 360 remote.  do people not realize that you don't have to jump during the split second first contact with the wall?  because u can jump off of it at any time during your fall as long as you are still touching it and spinning.  knowing this gives you more than enough reaction time to press away and jump, and that's without resorting to slow motion.

SeraphSight

• what.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2008, 01:01:47 pm »
some of you posters, and especially the videos linked above, make it seem as if wall jumping is some impossible feat that should never be mandatory.  my question is...

since when is wall jumping hard? i played with keyboard until i realized my little brother's xbox 360 controller had a usb adapter and wall jumping is actually alot easier with keyboard in comparison to the 360 remote.  do people not realize that you don't have to jump during the split second first contact with the wall?  because u can jump off of it at any time during your fall as long as you are still touching it and spinning.  knowing this gives you more than enough reaction time to press away and jump, and that's without resorting to slow motion.

I don't find it hard, not to wall-jump in and of itself.  especially going back to normal SM, but redesign is a different animal in that department.  You don't get the same height, and instead of a reaction or two, at times, it becomes a marathon of back-and-forth, and getting every wall-jump to land successfully with the much changed physics for it becomes a bit of a test. 

The physics only seem a little more vertical at first, but it's like all of your horizontal momentum is saved for wall-jumping, where it rockets you sideways.  It's not so much difficult to do once, as it is difficult to get right the some-odd 10-15 times you have to do it for some shafts.  :happy:  and with one screw up you don't just have to do it once again, you have to do it 3-5 times due to increased fall speed.

cyberpsygen7

« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2008, 01:21:35 pm »
i wasn't trying to badmouth you in particular, but that guy in the video is hilariously horrible, i ended up watching the whole play through and laughing until my lungs hurt and my eyes started watering.

and yah you're right about it being a different animal, the momentum saving thing you mentioned is what makes one wall wall jumping a real pain in the ass.

SeraphSight

• what.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2008, 02:53:02 am »
i wasn't trying to badmouth you in particular, but that guy in the video is hilariously horrible, i ended up watching the whole play through and laughing until my lungs hurt and my eyes started watering.

No worries, i took it as a "general comment about everyone who has trouble walljumping".

sysipha

« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2008, 03:48:11 pm »
Ok. I've been to the left of the ship and I have the wall jump boots. I then went back to the ship but kept going to the right before I got the bombs. I've since learned that the bombs are back by the ship, but I can't get back there. I'm in the second big room to the right of the ship. There's a thin space for the morphball at the bottom left of the room but you need bombs to get through. And there doesn't seem to be any way to jump out of that room. The only way out is further to the right which just strands me in places where I need either the bombs or the super missiles.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:37 pm »
Despite my constant grumblings about it, Drew made only one change to the area. You have to go right. There's a couple jumps you have to make, one you can barely make and one you might accidently over-shoot if you're not expecting it. Once you get to the vertical corridors, then you're kinda close. When you find the lava, then you're in good shape. I'll post some screenshots in a bit when I get the chance.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

sysipha

« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2008, 03:57:14 pm »
I've been to the room with the lava. I got the first platform extended and I got to a point where I could see the other side of the lava. So I just missed something in that room? I guess I'll keep looking there then. Thanks.

SeraphSight

• what.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2008, 05:58:28 pm »
I've been to the room with the lava. I got the first platform extended and I got to a point where I could see the other side of the lava. So I just missed something in that room? I guess I'll keep looking there then. Thanks.

A little mid-air morph, and you'll be there.  Recently had to tell a friend how to do that, it sounds a lot harder then it is to do.

I've been playing through this again,trying to stay ahead of said friend so i could help him along the really well hidden stuff, and wow, having a map makes me remember all the crazy crap i went through.  Man, the nostalgia....  I am so not looking forward to that ridley fight again, haha.

sysipha

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2008, 04:15:26 pm »
Yeah. I figured out the morphball jump thing. It really comes in handy later too. But now I'm stuck again. I'm in Norfair near a save station toward the bottom. The only way to go is left with the morph ball. There's lava below me and two or three pits that I clearly need to bomb jump across, but, there are vertical pipes in all the pits that bombs reveal can only be destroyed by powerbombs; which I don't have. I've watched the video walkthroughs I've found and in all of them the layout is different. Their versions have room for them to bomb jump over the vertical pipes, but mine doesn't. Do I have some different version of the game? And, if so, is there some way to get past this part?

sysipha

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2008, 04:30:50 pm »
Nevermind. I got through. I just went through the lava a bomb jumped out on the other side. I doubt that's how I was supposed to do it. But it worked.

Bond697

• View Profile
    • The Final fantasy 4 Reference Book
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2008, 07:47:59 pm »
Nevermind. I got through. I just went through the lava a bomb jumped out on the other side. I doubt that's how I was supposed to do it. But it worked.

it sounds like you have an old version. maybe download the patch from here, patch a clean rom, and try re-loading your closest save? it'll still be compatible with the changed rom.

from what i remember, that's not the only more difficult puzzle in the older versions.  drewseph modified a bunch of different things to make them a little easier.  even though you made it through that one puzzle, you still should think about trying the newest version of the patch.(2.1, as a i recall)

sysipha

« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2008, 05:15:40 pm »
Thanks. I guess I do have an old version. I've downloaded the newest version from Drewseph's page. I got the patch to work but none of my save states will load properly. It's looking like I'll either have to start over with the new version or try to keep going with all the troubles I'm having in the old version. That really sucks.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2008, 05:33:55 pm »
Don't load a savestate.  Save your game through normal means and use the SRAM.  Much more likely to work.