News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fire Emblem (NES) Translation  (Read 91661 times)

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
Re: Fire Emblem (NES) Translation
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 11:03:32 pm »
I won't ask people to do a job for me. I only take help from people who want to help me voluntary, so I know they want to do it and not because they don't want to deny a request or whatsoever. I first need to wait for the DTE in any case so I can even start on the game script, no word from Rai yet, but I hope I will hear from him soon :)
Well, I'm still offering dude. Just send me up a patch or your hacked rom and I can implement it :).

You should send me up the translated script though also, just so I can figure out the best DTE values.

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42:07 am »
Hi Rai, I send you the patch already, didn't you receive it? I will send you again, if you didn't receive anything, send me a mail please so I know to what e-mail I should send you.
Fire Emblem translation romhacking topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10647.0.html

Rai

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 03:20:37 am »
Well here's the video of my progress in trying to input those translations. Turns out that even with the DTE minor things will have to be shortened. For instance, when Caeda says "Marth, am I glad to see you" it takes up a lot more space, even with DTE, than her Japanese line. Since it was so long, I even had to take out the "Help my father" bit.

But yeah, here's a video showing the progress that I've made with the DTE on your rom. I still think you should get an actual translator though. I could try and do it, using the DS version as a reference, if you can't find anyone else. After all, I have been studying Japanese for a few years and can understand the basic grammar pretty well. NES games are harder though, since there's no Kanji.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bH66z1L2nY

Other than the DTE, you can tell that I've added a lowercase font to your translation, which really makes it look better.

Also I'm using the official English translations of the countries, names and other things like that. So that's why I called Sheeda, Caeda instead of Sheeda and called the Garuda pirates, the Galder pirates.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:26:33 am by Rai »

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 09:58:45 am »
I thought it was only called Caeda in the European versions, oh well, I'm European as well, so I don't care :P The text looks nice! The DTE seems to work well! But do you know why some characters disappear and reappear? It looks a bit funny. Nice font by the way, I really like it!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 10:40:54 am »
Yeah, her name is definitely Sheeda. Dunno where you got Caeda. >_>

Also, is it just me, or does the text look funny as it's spilling out?

And another thing. I dunno if it's a bug in your code, or the script, but there's a random ひ in the video. >.>

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 10:59:26 am »
Yeah, her name is definitely Sheeda. Dunno where you got Caeda. >_>

It's supposedly pronounced in ecclesiastical Latin, which comes close to the Katakana.

Also, is it just me, or does the text look funny as it's spilling out?

Looks like it is overwriting tiles that were already written to. Likely a small error in a counter somewhere.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 11:14:54 am »
In the version of Shadow Dragon I play she's called Caeda, so he probably has the same version.

RamenRanger

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 03:37:19 pm »
personally i prefer seeing it as Sheeda and not Caeda but meh if the games gets a full translation were am i too complain.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 04:02:55 pm »
Well I had Shiida in my Shadow Draogn version (french language).

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »
personally i prefer seeing it as Sheeda and not Caeda but meh if the games gets a full translation were am i too complain.
I agree, Sheeda sounds better than Caeda in my opinion and it's also how it's written in the Fire Emblem manga with Marth. To be honest, I've always seen her name as "Sheeda". In the end, whatever you go with is fine. Fans will be happy just to see this game get translated in the first place. :)
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 04:20:36 pm »
Oh well, we bring out 2 patches, one with Caeda and one with Sheeda  ::) Now back to topic please

Rai

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 04:50:42 pm »
Oh well, we bring out 2 patches, one with Caeda and one with Sheeda  ::) Now back to topic please
Yeah, we'll do that. But Caeda is pretty close to the original pronunciation. The "Cae" is similar to the "Cae" in Caesar.

They probably just wanted to make her name more European looking.

But yes, we'll create 2 patches.

BTW, have you found a translator yet? If not, I can just insert the script I previously translated.

I also think the dissapearing/reappearing thing is caused by the compares. Problem with FE is that if you remove the handakuten compares, the whole text routine screws up.

Also, what do you think of basically inserting the DS script for consistancy with the DS version?

This could work, but I'd have to check between the scripts of the DS version and the NES versions for accuracy.

It's kind of like when they translated HGSS and translated text that was in the original and HGSS, the same.

I've checked the original Japanese version of Shadow Dragon and as far as the intro, the text is the same as in the original. This means that the Shadow Dragon translations are translations of the original text.

With the right DTE values, we can fit the Shadow Dragon script.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:56:04 pm by Rai »

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 09:32:40 pm »
I also think the dissapearing/reappearing thing is caused by the compares. Problem with FE is that if you remove the handakuten compares, the whole text routine screws up.

If your routine is still the one you posted in the other thread, your handakuten and dakuten code was unreachable anyway, IIRC. You should fix whatever is displaying them after your DTE to ensure proper rendition of text.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 01:24:01 am »
We've found a translator for the game. So now we can work on the game script. Does someone maybe know where I can find the game script in Japanese on the internet? If there isn't any, I will have to make videos and upload them.

I don't know if the Shadow Dragon script is about the same, but it will always have some differences and I'm just eager how the game script for the NES differs from the DS, maybe it's totally different. We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:31:32 am by Quirino »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 09:39:10 am »
Wasn't the script I dumped spreading?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 12:48:36 pm »
I've never seen your script anywhere...

Anyway, the translator didn't have time to work on this project, so we'll need another one. I will discuss with Rai what's the best thing to do.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 03:37:06 pm »
Dumped script

Alternate, in EUC format since the Shift-JIS version doesn't like to display properly in the last JWPCE for some reason.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »
Dumped script

Alternate, in EUC format since the Shift-JIS version doesn't like to display properly in the last JWPCE for some reason.

Displays fine here, cheers.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 01:34:38 am »

Woohoo! Pointers are working quite well. I have currently all swords, spears, axes and bows (not catapults) translated! I will translate the other items this afternoon.
When I played around with the game I created little icons for the weapons--that might be nicer on the eyes than seeing 'IRON A' and 'IRON L' and thinking wtf...  :P  Unless you already mentioned something about that.

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 09:10:33 am »
Thanks for the script KingMike!

And I had a question to any of you who knows it. I will try to do some DTE as well. I found the offset where the first line of text is displayed (Prince Marth, Sheeda is arriving from Talis castle) at offset $21FB4, but I can't seem to find the pointer... It should be A4 1F, but there's (according to windhex) no hex value in the rom with A4 1F. Does someone know what's the problem?