News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]  (Read 465349 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]
« Reply #820 on: March 17, 2015, 04:32:01 pm »
2nd one is more readable.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 17, 2015, 05:54:17 pm »
Indeed the spacing in-between the letters is nice in the second image, I don't like how the 'A's look.  Since you can still read the name 'RADAXIAN' in the first image, I prefer that one.  But ultimately, it depends on how you feel about it.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #822 on: March 21, 2015, 08:23:42 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Did some more editing and I think I'll be going with this one;

Any C&C on Janken would be good too!
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #823 on: April 16, 2015, 05:27:20 am »

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 16, 2015, 09:37:11 am »
Is the cow purposefully too long? If yes, I would make it slightly longer to underline that it is not your lack of drawing skill. If no, I would do the same.

..perhaps have the leg pair one pixel closer to each other?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:42:14 am by STARWIN »

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #825 on: April 17, 2015, 12:03:27 am »
How's this?

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 17, 2015, 09:39:04 am »
Not bad. The cow is the defining character in the title. It also has a pig face. That gives it sympathy points, more than a cow-cow would get.

The pig is very flat. Baby pigs would be cute, but no more room.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 18, 2015, 04:36:11 am »
Who cut off that poor pig's ears? For shame. : (

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #828 on: April 18, 2015, 04:58:09 am »
Interesting...
In-game (and despite only occurring on screens involving the Missouri / Mississippi Rivers), Aquacow serves as nothing short of a perpetual nuisance!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #829 on: July 11, 2015, 12:02:29 am »

Courtesy of Ryusui.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 14, 2015, 02:21:21 am »
I think it looks good Gideon---only thing I think looks off is just the lower-case I.  Does the "if" normally start with a lower-case letter?  I personally think it would just look better with a capital I, but that just might be the grammar nazi in me

I really enjoy the rest of the title screen design though

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 14, 2015, 11:47:10 am »
Yep, that is the game's title.
Likewise Fire Emblem if (ファイアーエンブレムif), the newest Fire Emblem game (though it's going to be renamed for the west). (though I get confused, that official SMT crossover is still a separate game than FEif? I've forgotten the name or if a final name was even announced yet)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #832 on: July 14, 2015, 12:56:07 pm »
I think it looks good Gideon---only thing I think looks off is just the lower-case I.  Does the "if" normally start with a lower-case letter?  I personally think it would just look better with a capital I, but that just might be the grammar nazi in me

It's like that, yes. None of the original graphics have been changed; the "Shin Megami Tensei" text in the official US logo font has been added and the rest has been moved a bit, but the rest of the title screen is identical to the unchanged version. Here's the original for comparison.

FEif is something different. The "crossover" (which isn't really a crossover, it's just a Fire Emblem game with some light SMT mechanics and style) has been rebranded as Genei Ibunroku #FE. Sure does make it confusing though!

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 27, 2015, 10:45:16 pm »
This is a pretty cool unlicensed game for the Genesis, that I would hope to see released in English someday. Here is my take on the title screen.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 28, 2015, 01:11:16 am »
This is a pretty cool unlicensed game for the Genesis, that I would hope to see released in English someday. Here is my take on the title screen.

Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan has, in fact, been translated into English by Piko Interactive. They secured the rights, retitled it as "Water Margin", and just recently started selling it. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp4-MfSpB2E#t=34

Quite frankly I prefer your title screen (and title)!

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 28, 2015, 09:00:02 am »
Thanks! I did not know about that release. The font used for the story portion of the game looks out of place for the setting (Font looks robotic and makes me think SciFi) and the flow of the narrative seems slightly stilted. I would have used Liangshan Marsh in my translation instead of Mount Liang, as it tied things together better. The original novel had many translated titles (Outlaws of the Marsh, Tale of the Marshes, Men of the Marshes, The Marshes of Mount Liang, All Men Are Brothers, and Water Margin), but unfortunately they picked the ugliest/worst sounding title for their translation  :( .

Edit:
The cover art looks too amateurish to spend $55 on. For example, look at the perspective of the axe in Li Kui's hand. It is in his left hand which is anatomically holding it straight up, yet the blade of the axe is somehow behind the right side of his face. Shi Jin, the "Nine Tattooed Dragons", is missing all his tattoos!!! I would have gladly offered my art skills free of charge to help this game have a professional looking western release.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:10:39 am by Tater Bear »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:11 am »
Thanks! I did not know about that release. The font used for the story looks out of place for the setting (Font looks robotic and makes me think SciFi) and the flow of the narrative seems slightly stilted. I would have used Liangshan Marsh in my translation instead of Mount Liang, as it tied things together better. The original novel had many translated titles (Outlaws of the Marsh, Tale of the Marshes, Men of the Marshes, The Marshes of Mount Liang, All Men Are Brothers, and Water Margin), but unfortunately they picked the ugliest/worst sounding title for their translation  :( .

I personally liked it better when it was just known as Suikoden, but I digress.

But on topic, I also thing your title screen looks a lot better than the new official one--I think the font design you use stays a lot truer to the original, and just plain looks better as a total product.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 28, 2015, 10:13:11 am »
But on topic, I also thing your title screen looks a lot better than the new official one--I think the font design you use stays a lot truer to the original, and just plain looks better as a total product.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was trying to achieve  :) .

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 28, 2015, 11:12:25 am »
I just made a mockup on the US title logo version of Roll-chan. I'm not sure if I'm gonna use it, its frustrating that Mega Man 1 (and 6) has their title logos uneditable on hex editors.

I don't seem to have the will to bend them on the right direction lol

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #839 on: August 28, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »
Edit:
The cover art looks too amateurish to spend $55 on. For example, look at the perspective of the axe in Li Kui's hand. It is in his left hand which is anatomically holding it straight up, yet the blade of the axe is somehow behind the right side of his face. Shi Jin, the "Nine Tattooed Dragons", is missing all his tattoos!!! I would have gladly offered my art skills free of charge to help this game have a professional looking western release.

Is that Nio's work? He's posted Contra images in Trax's Contra thread that were in a similar style.