News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]  (Read 477629 times)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
Re: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]
« Reply #740 on: December 30, 2013, 03:24:20 am »
Hey M-Tee, I got a suggestion.  Perhaps a "translation" of the title of the FDS title "Yuu Maze" to turn it into the Raimais title.  Yuu Maze is a cut down FDS port of Raimais, not sure why the name had to be changed, as everything else is there.

A note, the FDS title screen actually flashes, unlike the arcade version.  Maybe you could hybridize the FDS' circuitry look with the arcade's Desert Chrome motif, if the colors allow?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 18, 2014, 03:49:12 pm »
Working on improving this title.

Maybe I should move the letters a little closer together, but not so much as my previous try?

(and yes, I will look to move that flash over once I get the logo itself worked out).
I tried to make the D clearer. Maybe accentuate the right curve more?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #742 on: January 18, 2014, 09:58:50 pm »

That's remarkably similar to my Treasures of Elnark screen, so I've got a few pointers that might help.

First, you've got the front plane of the INDRA characters showing, along with one side plane and the bottom plane. Select the side or bottom and make one darker than the other. For example, in ELNARK my front plane is lightest, my side plane is primarily the middle value, and my bottom plane is my dark value.

You can then use the dark value as shadows on your middle plane, your middle value as highlights on your dark plane, and the middle value as primary shadows to indicate cracks and crevasses on your light plane, saving the dark value for showing only the deepest cracks on that plane.

Next, INDRA is definitely your focus word here. Don't make "The Light of" bigger than INDRA when INDRA is far more detailed. Then they compete with each other for priority. That would be like The Legend of ZELDA.

Third, think about the way rock actually cracks and wears, taking into consideration the grain of the stone and treating the side planes and the front plane as planes of the same form. Notice in mine, there is a general top-right to bottom-left direction to most of the cracks, with a few that vary from that to keep it looking natural. Also, when a crack reaches the edge of the front surface, I continue the crack back across the side or bottom surfaces. Right now, your side planes look like they're trying to show a natural stone shape, but are too uniform and look like a pattern, almost like it's reflective.

Next, with the bottom logo, remember that when you're working from resized and scaled PC fonts, that you need to heavily alter them at this pixel level to make them look intentional. The pixelation in "The Light of" in the bottom screenshot makes it look like those ugly old NES games that were C64 ports. I usually start with a font and either heavily alter it, or type it at a larger font size above, and remake it pixel-by-pixel, referring to it. In Treasures of Elnark, I based the Treasures of of off Blambot's Pythia and ELNARK off of his Destroy Earth.

Finally, continue your side and bottom treatment respectively within the holes in the letters as well (the R, the D, and the A) for consistency.

Hope I've been of some help.

EDIT:
Just Googled the original screen, in comparison to yours:

Although the first character of the original has the diagonal banding pattern down its side, the second character is a better example of a natural pattern. I see that generally the original logo treated the side and bottom planes the same, but I feel that it's stronger in areas such as the middle horizontal bar of the fourth character and the left side of the crossbar on the final character, where the bottom plane is almost solid dark. Therefore, I still propose having much more shadow on the bottom plane consistently than on the side plane.

Also, let's compare the cracks in the original. They generally start as 2-3 pixels in width and then thin to one pixel and sometimes even expand back to two as the cracks move. The cracks often continue to the side and bottom planes as well, represented by highlights in the shaded planes (see right side of second character and bottom side of final character as prime examples.)

The grain is not heavily noticeable in the stone, but the crossbar on the final character definitely shows a horizontal grain, dangerously close to wood.

In a nutshell, I'd suggest varying your crack styles (note that in the original, there are a few places where the cracks extend completely through the characters) while minding their direction, be more thoughtful of the side and bottom planes, center your logo, and maybe even thicken the width of the characters to give them more space for surface detail and definitely to allow more space in your R and A holes for detail.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:37:07 pm by M-Tee »

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #743 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:31 pm »
Any C+C for this mock-up for my Baseball Simulator 2014 hack? Rom has enough tile space but colors aren't final yet.

And last year's, for comparison:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:52:56 pm by keithisgood »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 29, 2014, 08:37:59 pm »
Yeap. Typo.

EDIT:

I decided to do a final mockup with one last change to the cursor.
I hope you guys like what I'm planning and that I can actually make it happen.

And here's an animated version:

Do you have any update about this wonderful Title Screen? :O

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 29, 2014, 09:03:58 pm »
Nope. Never got around to finding the sprite property code so I could change the cursor. That damn sprite cycling is a pain in the ass and I never looked into working around it.

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 19, 2014, 04:48:28 am »
This. I like this. Would be great is someone did all these title screen hacks!

I actually made some mock-ups way back in 2007 and posted them in this very thread:

http://ximwix.net/mirrors/rhdn/index.php@topic=2807.300.html

I should still have the pics somewhere...

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #747 on: March 07, 2014, 05:15:17 am »
Since this topic is pretty dead and I've done a title screen for the first game.
This one is just for fun let me know if you like it.  ;)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #748 on: March 07, 2014, 06:46:43 pm »
That looks great to me! Nobody makes 'em like you do. :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #749 on: March 19, 2014, 12:27:37 am »
Took a pass at updating the Demiforce/Pennywise translation title for TwinBee 3.

Anyway, here's the updated title screen. Followed by the Japanese.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:08:16 pm by M-Tee »

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #750 on: March 19, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »
That looks great to me! Nobody makes 'em like you do. :)
Word. Really well done.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #751 on: March 19, 2014, 06:55:43 pm »
Since this topic is pretty dead and I've done a title screen for the first game.

Is that for Dai Kaijuu Monogatari? Because if so, the translation of the title is wrong. I can see where someone would've made the mistake, though, with "Kai" both being part of 怪獣 (beast, monster, whatever you want to call it) and also being 貝 ("shell").

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #752 on: March 19, 2014, 07:55:01 pm »
Is that for Dai Kaijuu Monogatari? Because if so, the translation of the title is wrong. I can see where someone would've made the mistake, though, with "Kai" both being part of 怪獣 (beast, monster, whatever you want to call it) and also being 貝 ("shell").

~DS

Are you sure? A quick web search shows the title is 大貝獣物語, so it does contain the character for "shell". I'm guessing it's supposed to be a pun. If it's really wrong, you might want to let the guys over at D-D know, since they're doing the first game.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:35:08 pm by mziab »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 20, 2014, 01:13:40 am »

I don't see any difference...did you post the wrong images?

Also, the huge, but empty dialog box bothers me.  Would it be possible to change 1P and 2P to "1 Player" and "2 Players" respectively?  I know many early translations hacks had to cut corners whenever possible, due to Japanese using FAR fewer symbols than English would require, unless TwinBee 3 is one of those games where the text is in a stat that cannot be expanded?

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #754 on: March 20, 2014, 01:24:02 am »
Was linking the RHDN image, which was replaced with mine when the file was updated.

And I agree about the 1P, 2P aspect. I didn't touch anything outside of the logo, but correcting that could be done.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 20, 2014, 02:05:12 am »
Ah, alright, I figured something was up.  I'm guessing the old title screen was a very crude looking thing.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #756 on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:48 am »
It wasn't horrible, just a little small and off to avoid reused tiles and attribute changes. I'll update my post when I get home.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 20, 2014, 02:03:29 pm »
Mmm, yeah, pretty much as I anticipated then.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #758 on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:30 pm »
Are you sure? A quick web search shows the title is 大貝獣物語, so it does contain the character for "shell". I'm guessing it's supposed to be a pun. If it's really wrong, you might want to let the guys over at D-D know, since they're doing the first game.
I've done the title screen for this upcoming translation and the English name of this game was the subject of a discussion
here.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #759 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:25 pm »

This looks great! I would say keep it as is to coincide with DD translation. Also, I'm not a huge fan of romaji titlescreens.  :thumbsup: