News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]  (Read 479008 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]
« Reply #520 on: October 07, 2012, 09:19:59 am »
Oh my.  I don't know about anyone else but I like that little animated cursor.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Crysta

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 09, 2012, 05:22:02 pm »
Wish I could say this was anything more than a mockup, but I don't have the skills needed to rearrange the tiles for this to fit.

Yes, I know someone already did similar and sold reproduction carts of it. Yes, I know a prototype was also subsequently found. However, neither of those made it out to the net so far as i've been able to tell, and this is one of the games on my list of "games that should really get an english titlescreen since they otherwise pretty much already are in english". It is based off the english version of the title block from the home computer versions but touched up to resemble the early screenshots floating on the web (intending to be similar to it, but nowhere near an exact copy). Sorry again I can't do more than a simple mockup. Of course, chances are good nobody cares anyway so it all works out.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 13, 2012, 02:47:39 am »
Oh my.  I don't know about anyone else but I like that little animated cursor.
Me too.
When Reason Fails

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 13, 2012, 10:40:02 pm »
Me too.

Thanks. I'm getting closer to hacking it in. A friend found the ram address that controls which sprite is displayed on the title screen. I also need to make it load a different graphics set so I can add the new graphics somewhere. Also, I'm still working on finding the god-forsaken sprite cycling routine so I can disable it. Once that is done it'll be simple to find the routine that draws the sprites on screen. Then after all that is done I can finally release a patch for the new title screen. And finally after that I can start thinking about some of the "other" changes I want to make to the ROM.

For those that are curious I'm thinking of trying to expand the ROM so I can add a couple of more stages and a handful of new songs. And probably the biggest challenge I'm looking at is separating the Mummies & Lesser Demon into stand alone bosses, converting the "corpse candle" into a new boss akin to the "Fake" bosses from SotN, adding in the alternate enemies from CV3 (U) as stand alone enemies, adding Grant's knife from CV3 (U), giving Alucard a new main weapon, and lastly adding some new sub-weapons for Grant and Alucard. This will be a long term thing so don't expect it to be finished any time soon.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #524 on: October 24, 2012, 02:26:42 am »

Don't mind the chaos, that's just sprites wrecking havoc. The attribute table needs to be adjusted as well. For reference, this is what it should like. Getting there.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: November 07, 2012, 03:27:12 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:12:14 am by Chpexo »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #526 on: November 07, 2012, 05:28:23 pm »

This is what the final inserted title screen looks like.

November 10, 2012, 07:12:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I need title screen designs and my regulars are unavailable. Anyone want to give these a shot?

This one's tricky because it uses a combination of graphics and sprites. The star thingy is part of a sprite animation that's like a shooting star and the colored circles are sprites as well. The rainbow effect is also going to be horizontal instead of vertical as well. So anyone want to take a crack at it? It should say "The Trippy Travels of Erica and Stan"

I also need a title screen for this GB game.

The Samurai Lord Musashi and it doesn't have to fit within the confines of the original. It can be a little bigger if necessary.

Also there is a previous design for the NES game that might be best if it is used as a basis for the GB title screen.

So any takers?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:12:29 pm by Pennywise »

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #527 on: December 02, 2012, 05:04:07 pm »
So this is the other title screen we have to edit for SnS:

If you don't recall, here's the original(and what this thread helped us devise):

Currently dabbling with possibilities.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 03, 2012, 04:47:17 am »
Currently dabbling with possibilities.

Might I suggest adding "the" to the title, as in "Castle of the Shikigami"? To me, "Castle of Shikigami" makes it sound like the castle belongs to a person named Shikigami. Having "the" there makes it clear that "Shikigami" is a type of thing and not a specific person. Also, IMO it would have a better ring to it, kind of like "Village of the Damned" or "House of the Dead".

HTH
Sign THIS!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #529 on: December 03, 2012, 07:12:39 am »
I disagree. Having "the" before a non-english word seems very awkward. Sure, without it, shikagami sounds like a proper noun, but it results in a title i (a person unfamiliar with the franchise) would accept. With "the" in front, it makes me think "what the hell's a shikagami, and why wasn't that word translated to english?"

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 03, 2012, 07:53:42 am »
Well guess that's up to whoever is translating the game to change it. Or one could change the title screen themselves if they felt the need

jegriva

« Reply #531 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:46 am »
Read about the attribute tables in another thread and it sparked memories of the title hack I did for my Mega Man Powered Down hack.
So I read up on the subject and found the data in the AjD ROM. So here's the new title screen with corrected palettes:

I'm thinking of doing some further modifications. Here's a mock up of what I'm considering:

Five years ago I translated Akoumaju Densetsu in italian, and i designed a title screen who keeps the american title and the japanese style.

Unfortunately, the guy who inserted it in the rom misplaced the colors, so the cool gradient thing in the japanese title lost a bit of the "wow!" effect.

I hope it could help.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #532 on: December 03, 2012, 07:34:45 pm »
Might I suggest adding "the" to the title, as in "Castle of the Shikigami"? To me, "Castle of Shikigami" makes it sound like the castle belongs to a person named Shikigami. Having "the" there makes it clear that "Shikigami" is a type of thing and not a specific person. Also, IMO it would have a better ring to it, kind of like "Village of the Damned" or "House of the Dead".

HTH

Well, specifically I mean how to edit that vertically oriented screen. Castle of Shikigami's staying, series tradition.
(I was briefly tempted to do 'The Castle of Shikigami', but if it ain't broke...)

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 04, 2012, 04:31:55 am »
I disagree. Having "the" before a non-english word seems very awkward. Sure, without it, shikagami sounds like a proper noun, but it results in a title i (a person unfamiliar with the franchise) would accept. With "the" in front, it makes me think "what the hell's a shikagami, and why wasn't that word translated to english?"

I don't see a problem with having "the" before a non-English word. As you say, the absence of "the" makes "shikigami" sound like a proper noun, which it isn't. Also, "the" often appears before other Japanese phrases like "ninja" (e.g. "Mark of the Ninja") and "samurai" (e.g. "The Way of the Samurai"). "Shikigami" is less well-established, which might be what makes it sound awkward.

I think your second point is a good one, though. What the hell is a shikigami? One answer is this: "a god of rites; a spirit that is said to perform marvelous, phantasmagoric tricks under the orders of a yin-yang diviner" (from Kojien). Another answer is, "the thing(s?) in the game". The point is, though, like "ninja" and "samurai", there's not really an equivalent for "shikigami" in English, so it's probably best to use the word as is. And IMO, "the Shikigami" is the most appropriate way to render it in English.

Quote from: cj iwakura
Well, specifically I mean how to edit that vertically oriented screen. Castle of Shikigami's staying, series tradition.
(I was briefly tempted to do 'The Castle of Shikigami', but if it ain't broke...)

As for the series' title being tradition, maybe I'm kind of a boat-rocker when it comes to translations, but my general rule these days is: screw tradition when tradition is wrong. There's something to said for a series to be easily recognizable by its fans, but at the same time, I think one of the goals of fan translation should be to improve upon the shortcomings of past translations.

Also, no offense, but I think "The Castle of Shikigami" makes "shikigami" sound even more like a proper noun.

I'm afraid I can't help you on how to redesign that screen. The best I can do is gripe about the title. :)

I guess I've spoken my piece on this, so I'll let it go now.

HTH
Sign THIS!

simonbelmont2

« Reply #534 on: December 04, 2012, 07:09:33 am »
Pennywise you can let the cherries, fork and the foam from the cake (orange thing の) were they are in the original picture.
Your title screen from my point of view is a little empty if you changed the location of the cherries, fork and the foam (orange thing の) from the cake (you have delete it).

Here is my version:

What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:31:00 am by simonbelmont2 »

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #535 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:49 am »
I don't see a problem with having "the" before a non-English word. As you say, the absence of "the" makes "shikigami" sound like a proper noun, which it isn't. Also, "the" often appears before other Japanese phrases like "ninja" (e.g. "Mark of the Ninja") and "samurai" (e.g. "The Way of the Samurai"). "Shikigami" is less well-established, which might be what makes it sound awkward.

I think your second point is a good one, though. What the hell is a shikigami? One answer is this: "a god of rites; a spirit that is said to perform marvelous, phantasmagoric tricks under the orders of a yin-yang diviner" (from Kojien). Another answer is, "the thing(s?) in the game". The point is, though, like "ninja" and "samurai", there's not really an equivalent for "shikigami" in English, so it's probably best to use the word as is. And IMO, "the Shikigami" is the most appropriate way to render it in English.

As for the series' title being tradition, maybe I'm kind of a boat-rocker when it comes to translations, but my general rule these days is: screw tradition when tradition is wrong. There's something to said for a series to be easily recognizable by its fans, but at the same time, I think one of the goals of fan translation should be to improve upon the shortcomings of past translations.

Also, no offense, but I think "The Castle of Shikigami" makes "shikigami" sound even more like a proper noun.

I'm afraid I can't help you on how to redesign that screen. The best I can do is gripe about the title. :)

I guess I've spoken my piece on this, so I'll let it go now.

HTH

How about Castle of the God of Marvels? Not wholly accurate, but it gets the point across, I think.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #536 on: December 04, 2012, 09:59:12 am »
Hey, I'm not dead!  :woot!:
Here's the second title screen, I'll take a look at the other later since I need to download the ROM first.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:07 am »
Looks alright overall, but there's something about the second S that bugs me. Like there's thick line there.
Who will quote me next?

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #538 on: December 04, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »
Indeed I was too hurried  :crazy:

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 04, 2012, 03:20:37 pm »
Looks better now. Good stuff!
Who will quote me next?