Ladies and gentlemen, I have finally compiled a readme on how to use this program!https://sites.google.com/site/vegetaman/home/sramchecksum/readme
DOWNLOAD & INSTALL LINK (unzip/unrar and click on setup.exe): http://www.mediafire.com/?ygc6726648ip7x5
Here is an abbreviated portion of it that tells exactly how to use the program itself:
How to use this program:
STEP 1: INSTALL
1. Use the setup.exe to install the program (it is a click-once application).
STEP 2: BACKUP
2. Make a backup copy of the SRAM (.srm) file you intend to edit.
STEP 3: LOAD UP YOUR FILE
3. Open the SRAM Editor program...
4. Click on the "..." button and navigate to the SRAM file you want to edit,
and click okay. This will load the file into my program.
5. Click on the tab for the save game slot you wish to edit (SLOT 1, SLOT 2,
or SLOT 3).
6. Click on "SHOW ITEMS", "SHOW MAGIC", "SHOW GOLD", and "PARTY INFO". This
will load all the current information about your party into the scrolling
STEP 4: CHANGE GOLD
7. Gold is the easiest item to change. All you have to do is put in a number
between 0 and 16777215 and click on "UPDATE GOLD". If anything was bad
about the value you input, it will give you a default value of 8675309
gold. Clicking on "SHOW GOLD" again will show you how much gold you have
STEP 5: CHANGE ITEMS:
8. In the Party Items box, find the item you want to give yourself more of,
or in the case of a new item -- navigate to the first Empty Slot.
9. Then in the Item Changer box, use the dropdown to select the slot you
identified (in #8) that your item needs to go into (ITEM SLOT).
10. Now select which item you want to give your character by name (ITEM
11. Lastly, select how much of a quanity of that item that you want (from 1
to 99) in that dropdown box (ITEM QUANTITY).
12. Now that you've made all the proper selections, press the "ADD ITEM"
13. To confirm this worked, you can click SHOW ITEMS again and it should
reflect your update.
STEP 6: CHANGE MAGIC:
14. In the Party Magic box, find the magic spell you wish to swap out, or
the first Empty Spell Slot, for a specific character.
15. Now, in the Magic Changer box, select which magic slot you want to change
16. Now, select which magic spell you want to give them, by name, from the
Magic Select drop down (MAGIC SELECT).
17. Lastly, select which character will receive this spell (CHARACTER).
NOTE: Aguro has no magic power, and you cannot give him any magic spells.
18. Now that you have made the selection, press the "ADD MAGIC" button.
19. To confirm this, hit the "SHOW MAGIC" button again, and make sure the
change is reflected in your Party Magic box.
STEP 7: UPDATE CHECKSUM:
20. Okay, now here is where all the magic happens. Go to the Checksum Checker
box towards the upper left hand corner of the screen. Click on "CALCULATE",
which will show you what the Checksum in the file currently is in the top
box, and it will show you what it thinks the checksum SHOULD be in the
bottom box -- it will also display "==" if they are equivalent, or "!=" if
they are not.
21. If you made any changes to the SRAM at all, odds are that your checksum
is wrong for that save slot. All you have to do is click "FIX CHECKSUM",
and the value in the evaluated box will get written to the appropriate
location in the SRAM file.
22. To make sure this change took properly, click "CALCULATE" again, and the
two boxes should match and you should see a "==" in the bottom center of
the Checksum Checker.
23. Now, rinse and repeat items 5 through 22 for any other of the save slots
that you wish to alter!
24. When you are done, you can close the program with the "X" in the upper
right, or you can click the convenient EXIT button.
25. Now, go back and load up your save file -- and your changes should have
taken! (see the FAQ about an important note when using an emulator).
NOTE: [IF YOU WANT TO MODIFY SRAM ON YOUR OWN (via a HEX EDITOR)]:
If you want to make your own modifications to SRAM (.srm) but use this program
to fix your checksum, just make your changes to the file BEFORE you load it
up in my program. Then hit "CALCULATE" and "FIX CHECKSUM" on each of the three
save slots, and it should take care of all the magic for you!
Frequently Asked Questions:
I used your program, then loaded up my game, but it hasn't changed any!
I believe that if you load up your emulator, and then load a save state, it
will clear the SRAM and load it with whatever it had in it when that save
state was originally made (thus voiding your changes). So to avoid this,
you'd need to load the save state, save the game manually at a cleric, then
quit the game and close your emulator. Then modify the files with my program.
Then you should be able to load up the game and wait until you get into the
saved game slot select screen and select the slot you altered, and the
changes should be there. Loading a save state will undoubtedly erase your
SRAM in my opinion.
Perhaps I can get active in this again and make more and more updates.