News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Chrono Trigger German Translation v2.00 RC1  (Read 9501 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Chrono Trigger German Translation v2.00 RC1
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:20:55 pm »

Update By: creaothceann

24.12.2009 changes in v2.00 RC1

Note: THIS RELEASE IS A BETA VERSION! (RC1 = Release Candidate 1)

Despite extensive testing there may be some new, unforeseeable errors - maybe even fatal ones - because of the new working style via script dumping. Those will be fixed, prompting the release of Version 2.00 FINAL. Those wanting to avoid any risks should therefore use v1.02 for the time being.

I also want to point out explicitly that so-called savestates (i.e. for example ZS* and BS* files) created with previous versions of my translation might not be compatible with this version - especially if they were created while a dialog or menu was on the screen. Normal savegames (SRM Files) should work without problems though.

• The most important and best first: the complete script revision! The entire German script (almost 450 KB) was dumped from the established work ROM and tested in week-long work for weaknesses in content, logic, continuity, linguistic inconsequences, formulation blur, stilistic/idiomatic deficits, orthographic and typing mistakes etc., corrected where necessary and in great parts completely rewritten. In many cases of doubt the original English and even Japanese texts were consulted to reproduce all information in German as meaningful (and idiomatic) as possible. Lastly almost all line breaks were set anew so that longer names don't cause errors during text rendering. Theefore I hope to present to you the best German Chrono Trigger ever! :-))
  • Remaining text bugs from the US original and some inevitably translated errors from the English text were fixed. For example the seller at the Millenial Fair no longer claims that she hates fairs, but more correctly the exact opposite. ;-) It also becomes more clear what happened to Balthasar after he built the "Wings of Time". Mind you, I left some "errors" of that kind alone because in some cases an intention was apparent or because a certain slapstick moment was created (e.g. when Nizbel proclaims before the fight: "Here the great Nizbel was defeated!").
  • All descriptions of the Techs, Magics etc. were checked for coherence and fixed. For the first time the two - even in the original - missing descriptions of the additional objects "Mag.Seal" and "ForceSeal" were amended!
  • Some localisational refinements were added, e.g. the German typographical quotation marks (see Anführungszeichen - Deutschland und Österreich), a separate multiplication sign and improvements with the umlauts and the ß character.
  • The ATB fighting mode graphic (visible when a new game is started) was completely redesigned.
  • The patch is now offered in the UPS format only, to avoid problems with wrong/defect ROMs. See below on how to apply UPS patches in detailed step-by-step instructions.
  • This readme was also extended and updated. The version history should be complete now. Completely new is the section THE GAME located further down, which not only introduces plot and main characteres, but also lists some undocumented button assignments.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.manuloewe.de/kayen.htm#ct)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:24:47 pm by Nightcrawler »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Translations: Chrono Trigger German Translation v2.00 RC1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 04:21:49 pm »
Good to see German translations aren't completely dead yet. :thumbsup:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:30 pm »
The previous version is still available btw. - it can probably be removed when the finished version is released.

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:13:53 pm »
Das ist sehr gut! :beer:

Looks like a great way for Chrono fans to learn more German.
Verve Fanworks: We shall shew thee here the force of our arms!

Decir

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:24 am »
It's more than that. This is a translation that comes probably close to beeing a "perfect" translation. It uses every part of the german language correctly while offering a extremly accuarate translation (not word-for-word). It's a literaric pleasure only to read it.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:23:36 am »
Eh, I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it was an English -> German translation. Which means any problems with the English script got thrown into the German one. I could be wrong, though.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Decir

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 12:51:33 pm »
Eh, I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it was an English -> German translation. Which means any problems with the English script got thrown into the German one. I could be wrong, though.

~DS

Read the release notes. ^^
But, yes originally it started as a englisch -> german translation. IIRC.

The guy even has a patch released for the englisch version which fixes spell problems in the englisch! snes version.

http://www.manuloewe.de/kayen/ctfixeng.txt