News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: NESICIDE gets a face lift and goes open source!  (Read 10575 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: NESICIDE gets a face lift and goes open source!
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:50:54 am »

Update By: HJRodrigo

Christopher Pow has joined forces with Tim Sarbin aka "essial" to make NESICIDE open source, cross platform (OSX, Linux, and Windows) and multi threaded. This bumps NESICIDE to version 2 and the rendering is done in OpenGL, GUI is using Qt, and audio is using libSDL. NESICIDE now has a git page, which can be found at http://gitorious.org/nesicide. essial says that if you would like to contribute, you can contact them (most of the time) at irc.freenode.net on channel #nesicide

Staff note: There is no new binary release yet, so for now if you're interested in trying out the program you'll have no choice but to grab the current source and compile it for yourself.

Relevant Link: (http://gitorious.org/nesicide)

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
Re: Utilities: NESICIDE gets a face lift and goes open source!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:39:47 pm »
If anyone has a link to the binary let me know.

Andrius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:48:09 pm »
Wow Nesicide sounds pretty cool, never heard of it before. It sounds like the NES romhacking equivalent of AGS(Adventure game studio). Is it powerful enough to allow someone to make a romhack on the scale of Dragoon X Omega II?

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:57:22 pm »
Maybe you should specify the OS you would like a build for  :P  ;) . Anyways how does Romhacking handle OS versions of the same program? Would the Linux/Windows/OSX get their own page or be put on the same one?         

Hamtaro126

• R.I.P. 2006-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:20:08 am »
Maybe you should specify the OS you would like a build for  :P  ;) .

I am dying for a windows build, Since I do not like messy GIT code.

Also, I suggest all 3 binary builds, in a ZIP/RAR file, within thier respective folders:

LINUX32, WIN32, MACOS,

(and maybe add WIN64 and LINUX64 in the future if possible)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:35:08 am by Hamtaro126 »
(Ban is Repealed because of refusal to accept action. Making this major problem worse, So if no-one tempbans me, I WILL NOT COME BACK PERMANENTLY)

Erase this when you are ready to act like a MAN!!!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 04:44:43 am »
Maybe you should specify the OS you would like a build for  :P  ;) . Anyways how does Romhacking handle OS versions of the same program? Would the Linux/Windows/OSX get their own page or be put on the same one?       

One database entry per platform is how it's usually done (see PPF'O'Matic as an example).
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 03:11:21 am »
 :-[ Whoops forgot all about this. Here is a link to its homepage and binary download links  :woot!: :crazy: :thumbsup: Tried submitting the new project on the utilities section of this site, but it seems it was rejected  ::) :( .
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:19:10 am by Tater Bear »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:18:26 am »
We've been experiencing some problems. See here:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11054.0.html

Your rejection notice is still in the mail queue. The submission was rejected because it's an update to this entry and not a new entry.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 11:35:02 pm »
NESICIDE2 appears to be a completely new code base and not an update to the original project and he seems to still maintain both projects seperately (Both on his home page and GIT page). It seems to be more like a new "fork" if anything than an update. Also it was said multiple entries need to be done for the different ports, has this changed because he has three ports that can be downloaded on his site?. I would gladly add them, but the protocol is not too clear ATM.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:56:57 am »
I think it's pretty clear what it is here:

http://nesicide2.nesicide.com/

The current version (NESICIDE2) is cross-platform, supporting Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Its predecessor, NESICIDE1, was developed on Windows. The porting of functionality from version 1 to version 2 is progressing quite fast, but there is still much porting work to do.

It's a new (rewritten) version of NESICIDE. Feel free to e-mail Christopher Pow if you'd like.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 10:51:40 am »
 :P I guess we will have to agree to disagree on definitions. I see that quote as supporting me that it is a new code base with the same fuctionality of the previous version. It has a New name (and authors) so the romhacking page still should be updated to say at least NESICIDE2, hence my new submission. It would be like keeping Snes96 or Snes97 pages up and saying Snes9x is just an update and gets no new page.

"Development of Snes9x began in July of 1997 when Snes96's Gary Henderson and Snes97's Jerremy Koot merged their respective emulators to create Snes9x. Since then, Snes9x has been ported to more platforms than any other emulator"

Similar case. Started as a closed source project by one author. Two authors came together to make a new open source project that is portable. I just hope to see the new build up on this site 2, where ever you decide to put it, as I see it as a neat tool for community ;) . Do what you see is best, I was only explaining why I did it as a new submission. I thought the name change and the history of the new authors needed to be reflected in the discription.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 01:25:21 pm »
Certainly a similar case, and exactly the same treatment. Even Zophar's Domain doesn't carry SNES96 and SNES97 anymore. You can define them as whatever you like. The fact remains SNES9x, just like NESCIDE2, is a replacement. You seem to agree that is the case with SNES9x, so what's the issue with NESICIDE2?

I believe you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying. The existing NESCIDE entry page should be updated with the [EDIT] link and updated/replaced with NESICIDE2.

http://www.romhacking.net/utils/603/

In other words, your submission should have been submitted as an edit using the [EDIT] link and it would have gone through. NESICIDE1 goes away and NESICIDE2 takes it place. I'm not sure where we are having a communication break down.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 12:56:40 am »
Yep, you are correct  ;D. I didn't know users had the ability to edit previously submitted pages  :-[. I will now use my newly discovered powers to submit an edit :thumbsup: :laugh:.

Edit: Done :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:38:13 pm by Tater Bear »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 02:03:57 pm »
Great! :cookie: