Hi thanks for testing the program. As far as the error you got in VS 2017 I'll have to ask the MSDN forums, because you said VS 2015 doesn't give any issues.
The reason I added the minimize buttons is because they were not set as child windows, so many times when using the editor I'd have the main window minimized and I'd be in a web browser with all these dialog boxes on top of the browser in the way with no way to move them, except closing.
I've taken your notes on the event editor, and those are definitely some good suggestions for making it more user-friendly. Here is a mock-up I made this afternoon below. (I also plan to add a similar drop-list for switching items, and the buttons will be grayed out when not in the correct Type to prevent errors).
I wish I understood how to calculate the VRAM in this program better (which may or may not differ from true VRAM in an emulator). Right now I have switched enemies and got it to properly work in an emulator, but it took a lot of tweaking from the VRAM slot to get the enemy to properly show up in an emulator. I assume it has to do with the size of the sprite (8x8, 16x16, or 32x32). However I'm not going to be able to correctly change those values until I understand it better (right now it's trial&error). Yes, the palette offset is important too. I may be able to override the values in the editor window, but typically it's set during a previous event (the purple line where graphics are loaded).
As for special routines/sprites such as gas tank in Storm Eagle. That will have to wait also. I don't fully understand how to separate these into separate stages, and have not tested it myself yet.