I figured it out, this program I was using said "N/A" under header so I assumed it had no header, but when I opened it up with HxD it had a bunch of 0's so I used something to remove that and its working. Thanks for your help.
Yeah it looks like new controls by itself isn't working after name everything it goes all wonky and displays screens like a real cartridge would back in the day. I checked to make sure my rom doesn't have a header and the new controls hack lists no header. Tested on both snes9x and zsnes.
So I'm trying to use Earthbound-Sword of Kings and the New Controls hacks from this site, but after I name everything at the beginning of the game, it black screens trying to start the game. Using lunar ips on a non-headered rom.