Mega Man 5: Protoman Edition is now available on this site.
This thread is dedicated to keeping track of feedback and potential future updates.
Two hacks in one:
- The "MM5ProtomanEdition" patch to play the original MM5 as Protoman
- The "MM5SSPE" patch to play Second Strike, my previous MM5 hack, as Protoman
More info about the hack:
Changes related to Protoman:
- Beat was replaced by the Proto Dash. Collect all 8 "Protoman" letters to unlock it.
The Proto Dash is a very powerful move which drains a lot of weapon energy. You can damage
enemies with it, but also destroy projectiles.
It can not be cancelled by pressing the opposite direction on the d-pad, but it can cancelled
by performing a Dash Jump.
Dash Jumps offer a speed boost which allows for longer jumps, similar to Bass's Dash Jumps
in MM&B and MM10, or to the X series. However, unlike in those games, the speed boost given
by a P.Dash jump will only last as long as you're pressing the direction you were initially going to.
- In MM9/10, enemies deal 100% more damage to Protoman than to Mega Man. In this hack you can turn on/off
this setting in the main menu: "Damage x1" will keep the original damage values of the game,
and with "Damage x2" Protoman will recieve double the damage.
If you want to resume a "Damage x2" playthrough using a password, SET DAMAGE TO "x2" BEFORE
ENTERING THE PASSWORD.
- Protoman's knockback when taking a hit is twice longer as MM's, like in MM9.
- The charge shot has a smaller hit detection size than the original MM5 charge shot.
It also takes a bit longer to charge up, and its movement speed is slightly faster.
- Protoman can fire a 2nd regular P.Buster shot when a "half-charge" shot is on screen,
which MM originally couldn't in MM5.
- Protoman can only shoot 2 P.Busters shots at the same time.
- R.Coil and R.Jet are replaced by P.Coil and P.Jet
- Protoman starts the game with his P.Jet, like in MM9/10.
- The story, intro and cutscenes were altered
- Charging up a charge shot now works during a slide and during the "360° rotation" animation (on moving platforms)
- Underwater slide-jumps are now possible
- During a slide, you can't jump if holding "down" on the d-pad. In reverse gravity this remained the same, while it should be when holding "up". Fixed.
- Charge shots go through destructible blocks and can destroy several blocks in a row (like in MM4)
- While charging, if the player would release the B button during a slide or during the "360° rotation" animation, the palette could freeze with one of the charging palettes. Fixed.
- When dying in a pit while charging the charge shot, palette gets reset to default to avoid items on the screen (1up, tanks, etc) being 'frozen' with the wrong palette.
- M tanks now always appear, even if the player already has one. You can still only carry 1 at a time though.
- Picking an E/M Tank or a 1up when they're already full no longer makes a sound, like in later games in the series
- Falling crystals gimmick in Crystal Man stage: when 'destroying' a crystal with Star Shield, the following crystals falling from the same tube would go through the player. Fixed.
- Crystal Man's orbs: they no longer disappear if hitting the player during invicibility frame time. I also added a small visual explosion when they disappear when their timer runs out. This change of code also makes them less laggy when there are 3-4 of them at the same time.
- Fixed the possibility to skip most of the boss rush by sliding through the wall (at least I think I fixed it)
- Jetski segment: fixed the possibility to "miss" the jetski during the cutscene and play the segment without the jetski, glitching the entire part. (At least I fixed the easiest way there was to pull that glitch, it might still be possible to do it with the S.Arrow but since I can't pull it off, I can't check)
- Title screen: Slightly shortened the time it takes to loop back to the intro, so that you can no longer hear the title screen song start again for a split second.
- Boss intro screen: fixed the Y-axis location of the bottom flickering light of the teleporter (the lights flickering before bosses appear)
- Wily cutscene at the end of Protoman fortress stage 4: made the text flow faster.
- Slightly reduced Darkman 1 and Darkman 3's hit detection size, so that it matches their art better and jumping above them is a bit easier.
- Getting frozen by Darkman 3's onion rings during a Charge Kick will nullify the charge kick (turn the animation into regular sliding), to avoid C.Kick working while being frozen.
- The B button now works to select things everywhere it didn't (weapons menu, stage select screen, password/continue screen)
- The drop rate of 1ups was reduced
- [not in Second Strike version] Protoman Fortress stage 1: When dying and loading either checkpoint, a colour of the foreground would change. Fixed.
- [not in Second Strike version] Napalm Man stage: Fixed a wall that was set as "foreground", that the player could slide into.
- ... and more !
- Steambull for his work on the art, betatesting and ideas
- Rock5easily, Matrixz and Kuja Killer for their tools and documentations