I hope there'll be the some news from the Legend of Xanadu next year, it's been a while.
From what I understand the Xanadu translation, specifically the fandub since the actual translation and hacking are complete, went on a break for a while due to SamIAm having his second child. However, a few weeks ago they said they were back to making regular progress on the dub.
Yep, there is progress, but it is going very slowly because family and real-life comes first. SamIAm just doesn't have the spare time that he did in his bachelor days. I'm sure that most people here can understand that.
It's a bit sad that we've had two fully-translated games sitting on hold for over a year now, but we need to finish the dub so that players will be able to appreciate the full stories that Falcom created.
From what I recall elmer has been working on Seiya Monogatari for a while, so perhaps that one will see the light of day eventually.
The game scripts have been extracted, but there's been no reason to move forward from there when my translation-partner is still busy on the LoX dub.
On the (massively) positive side, this game doesn't need a dub, because all of the VO is subtitled, which means that the translation should come together pretty fast when we finally get to it.
On the negative side, the game's scripting system is a bit ugly to work with, and there are 286 script files (over 4MB of data) for the translator to wade through.
Anyway, I think it's much more likely that the HuCard games will get translation patches first, for what they're worth.
It is far easier to hack HuCard games, since you can just add extra ROM space to the translation, as you do on the SNES, and you don't have to worry about doing a dub.
So yes, you'd think that there would be more HuCard translations.
I'd like to get into to some PCE hacking eventually. I even have one PCE backburner project, but it's just a matter of time and priorities.
It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of Mednafen's lack of GUI, especially for the debugger.
Personally, I'm very happy that I don't have to deal with any GUI when I'm using Mednafen for translation hacking. I find it faster to just use the keyboard.
But everyone has their own preferences.
For me, the problem with Mednafen's debugger is not that I have to remember a few keyboard commands, it is that the debugger display is (IMHO) ugly and hard to read.
So I changed it ... thank gawd for Open Source software!
There are patches and a build script on github ... mednafen-happyeyes
If anyone is interested, then I could upload binaries here. I already provide links to Windows versions in my "PCE Programming Links" thread, but that is on another forum.
Dave Shadoff has recently started writing some articles/threads on how to hack PCE-CD games, and I've taken the opportunity to start hacking the 2 Tenshi no Uta games so that I can provide my slightly-different perspective on how to go about translating a game on the PCE platform.
To go along with the new translation-hacking, I have made some more changes to Mednafen, such as adding "Disassemble to File" and "Hex Dump to File", which are making my investigation and note-taking phase much more pleasant than it was with the LoX and Anearth hacking.
The folks here just doesn't seem to have much love for the PCE, so I tend not to post here.
Since the community-meltdown on the old PCEngineFX forum earlier this year, most of the active PCE development discussion can now be found on the PC Engine Bible forum.
If there are people here interested in PCE translation hacking/techniques, then I would be happy to post here more.