Romhacking => Personal Projects => Topic started by: Marty on August 07, 2022, 05:26:56 PM

Title: Final Fantasy 1 Hack
Post by: Marty on August 07, 2022, 05:26:56 PM
I doubt anyone remembers me, but waaaaay back in like 2003 - 2006ish? I posted on acmlm's board if that even still exists? I also posted under the name FF1Freak. I was working on a Final Fantasy 1 hack titled FF2: Return of Lich. It was supposed to be a sequel and I had drastically overhauled the story and graphics. At some point my computer fried, and for whatever reason I didn't have it reliably backed up so I lost literal years of work. I was reduced to starting over with a VERY old version (which funnily enough you can still find on Zophar's Domain to this day) and some wayback machine images I was able to find. It was devastating as the vast majority of that work was graphics and map work that I was VERY proud of. I pretty much abandoned it until a few years ago when I decided to give it a fresh start and this time I was going to overhaul some of the code to make the game faster and more convenient to play. Then I became a father and not only do I not have much time to devote to it, I have lost almost all interest in pursuing the project. To give me some closure, I figured I would release what I have and if anyone else wants to pick up the project or take some of the ideas, graphics, code, etc. they are free to do so.

I started with an improvement patch made by Grond(?). I honestly don't remember but it basically added 6 character player names and the B button dash and such. One thing I managed to accomplish is displaying the character's max HP in battle. I was kind of shocked no one had done this yet (that I'm aware of) considering I was able to do it with my very limited ASM knowledge. I wanted to eventually have the HP displayed at the bottom of the battle screen, but I never got it completed how I wanted it. So I'll post the 2 patches I have and some pictures from the old version that got fried and if anyone has questions I'll be more than happy to answer them. (

This first version shows the max hp in battle but the title screen is screwed up (I think this happens every time I open FFhackster but I didn't fix it for some reason) (

This version has the title screen correct and you can see how I intended to make the battle screen but it was still a work in progress.

And now for some pictures of the old version that is lost forever (and honestly even these pictures are outdated from what I had)

Pic 1 (

Pic 2 (

Pic 3 (

There you have it. Feel free to look through the game and in hackster and whatever and hopefully someone gets some kind of use out of it.