Romhacking.net

Romhacking => Newcomer's Board => Topic started by: Double on December 25, 2015, 11:26:33 pm

Title: Cannot apply ips to .md (Sega Megadrive) w/LIPS?
Post by: Double on December 25, 2015, 11:26:33 pm
I tried applying an ips patch to a 'No-Intro' .md Sega Megadrive rom using Lunar IPS, but Lunar IPS doesn't recognize the md extension. So i converted the .md to .smd using the SBWin utility. I managed to apply the ips to the smd w/LIPS, but the rom will not play in the emulator I'm using (Genesis Plus GX).

It's either the emulator (doubtful), the roms' region, or the conversion to smd that is causing the problem. Is there a utility that can apply ips to md?
Title: Re: Cannot apply ips to .md (Sega Megadrive) w/LIPS?
Post by: mz on December 26, 2015, 02:01:17 am
Try not converting your ROM to another format.

To use .md files with Lunar IPS (or any other program ever), just change in the "Select File to Patch" dialog the option "Most Common ROM Files" to "All Files (*.*)".

You could also just change the ROM extension from .md to .bin or whatever Lunar IPS expects, but this is unnecessary.
Title: Re: Cannot apply ips to .md (Sega Megadrive) w/LIPS?
Post by: henke37 on December 26, 2015, 05:48:16 am
Also note that the IPS format has no checksums, so it can't detect when you are using the wrong input file. It's been a source of frustration ever since the day the format was conceived.
Title: Re: Cannot apply ips to .md (Sega Megadrive) w/LIPS?
Post by: Double on December 26, 2015, 04:19:16 pm
Thanks for all the great info.

You know I just realized that it could actually be a header problem too. I use only the No-Intro roms, so the patches are likely messing things up. Are headers exclusive to just SNES, or are other platforms affected as well? I have a feeling I'm gonna need ten different tools just to patch up this header crap :/
Title: Re: Cannot apply ips to .md (Sega Megadrive) w/LIPS?
Post by: KingMike on December 26, 2015, 05:33:32 pm
Although .md was a VERY old copier format, it fell into disuse compared to "SMD" (interleaved) and "BIN" (raw, untouched dump).
As has been mentioned, if you got the ROM from a No-Intro set, then .md is probably just .bin renamed (as No-Intro opted for using a less generic extension for MD ROMs).

If you're using that ROM you converted from "md" to SMD, then you already messed it up.
Either convert it back or delete and redownload the ROM from wherever.

Genesis ROMs don't have headers. SMD vs. BIN is the only issue. SMD format is messed-up enough that people PROBABLY wouldn't ROM hack in it, meaning "BIN" should be the right format. (again, a No-Intro "md" file is a "BIN" renamed)