Romhacking.net

Romhacking => ROM Hacking Discussion => Topic started by: topcat on January 29, 2013, 09:07:48 AM

Title: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: topcat on January 29, 2013, 09:07:48 AM
Greetings to the rom hacking community. i was here several years ago trying, to no avail to learn how to use Temporal Flux. i still wish to do this, and will need a lot of insight. but that is for later.

the purpose of this post is for the rom hack that i have just completed. I changed up a lot in Chrono Trigger via the text editor and editor companion. I wish to release this to share on this site.

What i am asking fellow members, is what file/image hosts are best to use for submissions. I am a noob to every aspect of this.

Thanks,
Tim

January 29, 2013, 02:59:41 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quote from: topcat on January 29, 2013, 09:07:48 AM
Greetings to the rom hacking community. i was here several years ago trying, to no avail to learn how to use Temporal Flux. i still wish to do this, and will need a lot of insight. but that is for later.

the purpose of this post is for the rom hack that i have just completed. I changed up a lot in Chrono Trigger via the text editor and editor companion. I wish to release this to share on this site.

What i am asking fellow members, is what file/image hosts are best to use for submissions. I am a noob to every aspect of this.

Thanks,
Tim

I tried linking my dropbox on the submissions page but it didn't work. adding .rar & .png to the links would make them lead to an error page, not to the files. Anybody know how to make it work with dropbox? I'm limited to frustrating mobile internet right now & want to keep this simple.
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: mojoe128 on January 30, 2013, 10:49:19 AM
Yea I just submitted a hack recently and tried to use Dropbox.  Couldnt get t to work either
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: Mauron on January 30, 2013, 12:08:22 PM
Do these links start with "https://"? I know that can cause a rather unhelpful error message at the moment.
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: mojoe128 on January 30, 2013, 12:25:33 PM
Yea the links i was trying to use were https
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: topcat on January 30, 2013, 02:49:46 PM
mine didnt. i got a message saying the url has to end in .rar or .png

the files in the links did end in these extensions, but the links did not, and adding it to the links only lead to an error page.

so what filehosts do you guys use? lol. I'd really like to share this and get some feedback, maybe get a little cred so folks might be willing to do a little teaching of more advanced utilities like temporal flux.
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: justin3009 on January 30, 2013, 03:42:24 PM
 Temporal  Flux isn't too hard to learn.  You have to dissect the events and see how each command works.  You could use Gato's  event to help understand basic commands.
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: topcat on January 31, 2013, 02:56:29 PM
Hello again, So I have spent a few hours trying other file host sites and continue getting the same messages:

1. Invalid Image File Extension in URL 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653242/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-00000-png' Allowable extensions are GIF, PNG, JPG, and JPEG.

2. 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653242/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-00000-png' is not responding or is an invalid image file!

3. Invalid Image File Extension in URL 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653243/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-00001-png' Allowable extensions are GIF, PNG, JPG, and JPEG.

4. 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653243/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-00001-png' is not responding or is an invalid image file!

5. Invalid Image File Extension in URL 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653244/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-00004-png' Allowable extensions are GIF, PNG, JPG, and JPEG.

6. 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653244/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-00004-png' is not responding or is an invalid image file!

7. Invalid Image File Extension in URL 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653245/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-00005-png' Allowable extensions are GIF, PNG, JPG, and JPEG.

8. 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653245/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-00005-png' is not responding or is an invalid image file!

9. Invalid File Extension in URL 'http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/5653190/chrono-trigger-envy-hack-rar' Allowed extensions are ZIP, RAR, 7ZP, TXT, HTML, TAR.GZ, DOC, DMG, and EXE.)

SOMEONE PLEASE DIRECT ME TO A VERIFIED WORKING FILEHOST SITE THAT WILL WORK FOR SUBMISSIONS, PLEASE.
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: Mauron on January 31, 2013, 03:58:16 PM
Dropbox will work. The Share Link button next to the files will give you a direct link to the file. That is what you need.
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: Nightcrawler on January 31, 2013, 05:25:35 PM
Quote from: topcat on January 31, 2013, 02:56:29 PM
SOMEONE PLEASE DIRECT ME TO A VERIFIED WORKING FILEHOST SITE THAT WILL WORK FOR SUBMISSIONS, PLEASE.

Sir, all you had to do was read the submission guidelines at the top of the submission form. Or, you could have clicked the help icon next to the file field. Either of those would provide you with a page with our recommendations... Please do not submit anything to us without having read the guidelines.

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=help&action=additionalhelp
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: topcat on January 31, 2013, 07:16:53 PM
Quote from: Nightcrawler on January 31, 2013, 05:25:35 PM
Sir, all you had to do was read the submission guidelines at the top of the submission form. Or, you could have clicked the help icon next to the file field. Either of those would provide you with a page with our recommendations... Please do not submit anything to us without having read the guidelines.

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=help&action=additionalhelp

those ? tiles did not open correctly on my mobile device, and none pf the newbie pages i read made any mention of any  file hosts.
i overlooked the link in the guidelines. i thought it was in regards to reccomended formats.

thanks, i will try again.

January 31, 2013, 08:57:07 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

well, idk wtf. dropbox will only be mobile for me & doesnt have any extra options for link generation. when i tried it yesterday there were 4 links to copy, none of them worked.

tried the other 2 reccommendations in the link on the submission form. zebucket seemed to be working ut only for half of the files. got the following messages, even though they link directly to the files as they should.

1. The value 'www.bwass.org/bucket/Chrono%20Trigger
%20Envy%20Hack_00005.png' is not a valid URL. It MUST be a
full URL!
2. 'www.bwass.org/bucket/Chrono Trigger Envy
Hack_00005.png' is not responding or is an invalid image file!
3. The value 'www.bwass.org/bucket/Chrono%20Trigger%20-
%20Envy%20Hack.rar' is not a valid URL. It MUST be a full
URL!

stuck and starting to lose interest due to frustration. if anybody has any suggestions or interest in direct sending im open to it. otherwise im done trying for a while. i dont get to a wifi spot often & im ready to slam my phone against a wall.

thanks for the advce & interest for whom it applies. i hope i can get this thing up. its worth a playthrough.
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: assassin on January 31, 2013, 10:05:26 PM
Quote from: topcat on January 31, 2013, 07:16:53 PM
1. The value 'www.bwass.org/bucket/Chrono%20Trigger
%20Envy%20Hack_00005.png' is not a valid URL. It MUST be a
full URL!
2. 'www.bwass.org/bucket/Chrono Trigger Envy
Hack_00005.png' is not responding or is an invalid image file!
3. The value 'www.bwass.org/bucket/Chrono%20Trigger%20-
%20Envy%20Hack.rar' is not a valid URL. It MUST be a full
URL!

for #1 and #3, add an "http://" in front of the URLs.  #2 probably isn't working due to the spaces in there, but you should be fine working from #1.
Title: Re: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
Post by: topcat on February 05, 2013, 10:45:53 PM
So i did a bugfix & tried the upload again... and IT WORKED. I just got the submission confirmation.

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!

I hope it is well recieved. :laugh: