News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Finding which game a patch goes to?

Started by Lalina204K, January 18, 2022, 08:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lalina204K

So I got a couple patches to apply from awhile back but I have no idea what game they go to, trying to search didn't show much.

"KKQFixedIntros.bps"

"G2R2.ups"

Searches didn't lead much of anywhere and neither of these came with any readmes, UPS is usually used for Fire Emblem but it didn't work when I tried patching a couple of those, not sure if there's a good way to figure out what patch goes where in a situation like this.

Jorpho

An ordinary Google search for "patch" "fixed intros" suggests Koala Kingdom Quest for the first one.
http://smwdb.me/db/b/b1d558b0f8d8007d84e8055f5295c466457e7de0/

As for the other, maybe start looking at hacks for games that start with G?
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&startpage=86
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FAST6191

Never had to ID unknown patches before. Save games, ROMs, savestates and cheats sure but patches is new.

Does UPS come with any kind of checksum verification? If it does then should be easy enough to pull that and scan goodtools, no-intro, advanscene and whatever other dat providers you care to contemplate for the given checksum.

Beyond that you are left with names (do also consider subtitle and hack names -- g2r2 might well speak to say pokemon green as well as gears of war 2), dates (assuming they are accurate), anything that might be in the same folder/cart/SD card (possibly including playing with file recovery tools to see what goes), internal size/location of patch (you tend not to get 32 megabyte NES games, 32 megabytes on the GBA then all day long), interests of the owner (or their interests at the time) and whatever else falls from that. Give me a list of 10 candidate ROMs and I might be able to line up changes to things that make sense to change but no chance of anything I would like to use in an automation capacity*. I would not necessarily read too much into the patch format as UPS was kind of popular as a replacement for IPS before everybody shifted to more serious things. If you want to force the change on a blank file then the changes might also be something to look at -- a translated script almost necessarily includes the translated script (give or take a few holes for matching sections, and whatever relinking ability the patcher has) so clue from context there (hopefully a relative search, possibly for something like " the " which is bound to feature in most English scripts somewhere and with that you have the table), or if it is a tile edit then that too might be obvious (or a candidate for a reverse image search)

*combine a ROM map, or maybe just "is FF/00 for destination", a la some of those patch collision detectors and you might get a weak heuristic (not all games will expand to 00 filled space, some will be in place for everything, some will overwrite what they are changing, some non 00/FF will still be useless data or useless data for that given hack). Would be one of the more boring uses of a complete ROM set I have ever contemplated (normally I do fun things like see what percentage of the library uses this file format, usually sound) but a use never the less. There have been some things that ponder whether something is assembly or not (not a trivial task from static analysis but you could do something), and some compression detection stuff you could also wind into this.

TryiN,et

From what I've found I think G2R2 stands for Genealogy of the Holy War R2, or 聖戦の系譜R2 since its a Japanese hack. G2R2 is actually a Thracia 776 (FE5) hack named after FE4 (and Code Geass, apparently...?), so try patching over Thracia and you should see this title screen: https://feuniverse.us/t/lets-play-fire-emblem-super-thracia-776-kaizo-fe-hack/5719/73

If you scroll down that thread you'll find it being referred to as G2R2 (that's how Google found it for me), as well as this mildly amusing description:
QuoteBREAKING: It turns out that Genealogy R2 is a Thracia hack that LITERALLY lets you REPOSITION UNIT START POSITIONS ON THE PREP SCREEN.

Not really important, just as I said, amusing. I'll add that the patch itself seems to suffer from link rot, so if it does turn out to be that hack, it would be awesome if you could upload it and help preserve it in some way. I believe it'd be possible to upload to this site since I've seen a couple hacks where the author would've been inaccessible (Kaizo being a decent example), but anyone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Also, @FAST6191, your ideas will probably come in handy the day googling fails, so thanks for weighing in :beer: