Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

Started by Piotyr, March 23, 2007, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiffy

I've always wanted to see a couple of bugfix/restoration/partial-GBA-ifying hacks for the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy on SNES, specifically the NTSC versions and with these changes:

Donkey Kong Country

• Restore DK's 'turning while swimming' animation (also possible to backport Diddy's equivalent animation from DKC2?)
  • Restore Rambi and Queen B.'s full attack and hurt animation cycles
  • Restore lightning bolt animation in Ropey Rampage
  • Restore Cranky's unused level tips
  • Fix bug causing swinging ropes not to pause when game is paused in NTSC revision 1.2
  • Neckys and Mini-Neckys spawn feathers after being defeated
  • Ability to ground slap inactive Rockkrocks (optional)
  • DKC2/3-styled yellow/white font for level names and credits sequence (optional)
  • DKC2/3-styled K-O-N-G letters (optional)
  • DKC2/3-styled bonus barrel sprites (optional)
  • DKC3-styled warp barrel sprites (optional - no need for the GBA-styled 'warp zones', just the sprites will do)
  • Backport DKC2/3-styled bonus room intros from GBA version (optional - imagine this would be very difficult and require a great deal of custom programming and graphical editing)
  • GBA boss patterns/behaviour (optional - same as above)
  • Add ability to retry or re-enter bonus stages (would especially help with the ultra-hidden bonus room in Oil Drum Alley)
  • Edit the boss battle arenas to match up with their actual map locations (i.e., they don't always take place in a dark cave)

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

• Restore Rambi's full attack animation cycle
  • Restore unused music tracks for both K. Rool boss battles (loss, win as Diddy or Dixie)
  • Restore unused DK barrel Kong release sound effect
  • Restore unused banana bunch collect sound effect (same one is used in DKC3)
  • Restore unused animal buddy barrel transform sound effect
  • Restore hole in door of first K. Rool boss room background (used in PAL/Japanese versions but not NTSC/US)
  • DKC3-styled warp barrel sprites
  • DKC3-styled DK/Hero coins

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

• Backport unused DK barrel Kong release sound effect from DKC2
  • Backport unused animal buddy barrel transform sound effect from DKC2
  • Backport revised enemy and item layouts from PAL/Japanese versions
  • Backport fix for missing Cotton-Top Cove waterfall during Banana Bird Queen ending sequence from PAL/Japanese versions
  • Backport fix for glitched Kiddy colour palette on bonus screens when 'COLOR' cheat is used from Japanese version (already achieved by Blaziken257)
  • Restore unused map entrance sprite for Arich's Ambush
  • Restore Squawk's unused hurt sprite (same one is used in DKC2)

Noside

Making Deep Dungeon 4 - Kuro No Youjutsushi work with the rest of the NES emulators, I just can't get it to work. :banghead:

Tsukiyomaru0

idea for a King of Dragons SNES hack:
• Decensor the behading of the Hydra
• Allow the player to change characters between stages
• Add an option for infinite continues

lestat_chronicles

Quote from: Noside on November 17, 2022, 03:39:02 PMMaking Deep Dungeon 4 - Kuro No Youjutsushi work with the rest of the NES emulators, I just can't get it to work. :banghead:

That much hard work and then unable to get it to work, huh? Maybe I should give up when I haven't even started yet Lol!  * facepalm *

Arcade-Elite

we need new NES Level hacks for Binary Land, Power Blade 2 and shadow of the ninja please :thumbsup:

RitzLazyArtist

Idea for an Animaniacs ROM hack based on the reboot for Genesis and SNES versions:
•Rework the graphics to look like the reboot
•Replace Mr. Plotz with Nora Rita Norita.
•Remove Hello Nurse in some parts of stages so you won't get distracted.
•Replace the Hello Nurse portrait with Nils Niedhart (SNES version)
•Make 2 new stages exclusive to this hack (Genesis version)
•Rework the second ending (SNES version)
•Restore the sound test option (Genesis version)
•Add the ability to switch between stereo and mono (SNES version)
•Add hit points (SNES version)
•Add 6-button controller support for character switching (Genesis version)
•Increase the walking speed for a bit (Genesis version)
•Add the ability to exit the stage without beating it by pressing START and then pressing A+B+C to go back to stage select (Genesis version)

Noside

A playable MARIA for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for PS1! :woot!:

LaudinoInfamous

Hi guys. I have a question for those who know about kof: is it possible to put how many characters in the decrypted kof ROM?

lestat_chronicles

Quote from: LaudinoInfamous on November 20, 2022, 10:40:52 PMHi guys. I have a question for those who know about kof: is it possible to put how many characters in the decrypted kof ROM?

You can in one of those mugen games. I had one but I deleted it to free more space on my laptop. But I can help you get it if you want.

CyberFox

Do a Advance Wars hack based on Molang

As to why Molang? Lets say Molang's townsfolk is playing wargames but the war game suddenly became real when a liberal extremist start a hostile takeover of Molang's world

LaudinoInfamous

Quote from: lestat_chronicles on November 21, 2022, 01:53:27 AMYou can in one of those mugen games. I had one but I deleted it to free more space on my laptop. But I can help you get it if you want.
I'm not referring to MUGEN. I'm talking about the KOF 2002 ROM. It's how many characters you can put in to make a hackrom.

KingMike

Quote from: lestat_chronicles on November 18, 2022, 01:58:30 AMThat much hard work and then unable to get it to work, huh? Maybe I should give up when I haven't even started yet Lol!  * facepalm *
You're probably using a bad ROM or a bad header.
If it's the 1999 translation, I hear that one is just unfinishable.
If it's the one I released in 2011, I can tell you I did fully test it in FCEUX. I can't imagine I changed anything that would break compatibility. Though I vageuly recall matching my patch to include that fix.

As to fixing the header: open a hex editor and change bytes 00007 to 0000F in the ROM to 00 to fix it. If you don't know how, read a tutorial on how to use a hex editor. If you can't do that, it's not my fault. It's a common problem on NES ROMs from some unknown garbage tool from the '90s that put shit in the ROM headers. I would advise learning how to do it, rather than wanting people to "patch" every single game.
Sorry, but if you want to report it in such a snarky way, I'm going to have to give a little more blunt answer.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Vanya

Brutapode89

Why can't we just make sure the opening's animation fast by avoiding its music slowdown for Super Mario RPG PAL?
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2363/

XD3l

Go! Go! Hypergrind for the Gamecube is a really good game, but it has one problem and that is that you have to push up a couple times to go full speed, where as in the Tony Hawk games you are always just going full speed. I'd love to see a hack that could adjust this so that it feels a bit more in line with Tony Hawk.

lestat_chronicles

Quote from: LaudinoInfamous on November 21, 2022, 01:39:31 PMI'm not referring to MUGEN. I'm talking about the KOF 2002 ROM. It's how many characters you can put in to make a hackrom.

I know what you're referring to. I was just pointing out an alternative in case you were interested. With it, you can add or delete characters. Just saying.

lestat_chronicles

Quote from: Vanya on November 21, 2022, 05:19:32 PMHa! That's awesome. Just needs the F-14 changed into an F-18.

Haha! Agreed. Thank you. More ideas to come, though I know my edits are garbage. Especially the previous one (Species).

LaudinoInfamous

Quote from: lestat_chronicles on November 22, 2022, 03:15:17 PMI know what you're referring to. I was just pointing out an alternative in case you were interested. With it, you can add or delete characters. Just saying.
I'm interested in what you said, but I don't own a PC or laptop. Just my cell phone.

LaudinoInfamous

Quote from: lestat_chronicles on November 22, 2022, 03:15:17 PMI know what you're referring to. I was just pointing out an alternative in case you were interested. With it, you can add or delete characters. Just saying.
I accept and what is the alternative you propose?