Help with patching the game Kaijuu Monogatari

Started by tbpbird, June 03, 2022, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbpbird

Hi everyone, i tried to patch this game and everytime i get a glitch during the intro. The glitch i get is wierd blue line that freezes the intro, when i skip the intro and i talk to NPC the dialogue are messed up.
There's not really a lot of information on how to patch it. I also read online other threads where other people seems to have the same issues that i have with this ROM. I tried download a already patched ROM and same glitch with it.
The banana expander supplied with the patch is not working.
Instructions says ""You will need to expand the Japanese ROM from 256KB to 384KB before applying the patch""
So i figure i have to remove the header first to get a 256KB ROM ( Because usually its 257KB with header )  then expand the ROM ? Is it the PRG or CHR that needs to be expanded ?
No information whatsoever about this specific patch.
I also read on some thread that Kingmike ( The translator ) says that it works on fceux-2.2.0 as he tested it on althought every ROM found online gives me glitches with that emulator.
Same thing for other emulator, i tried FCE ultra , fceux-2.2.0 , fceux-2.2.3 , Mesen ,nestopia , and VirtuaNES.
Everywhere i try the patched ROM i get the same kind of glitch in the intro. So at this point i believe either the patch is very bad and not playable at all or its been patched the wrong way by everyone online. I would really love to play that translation.

I have no problem running other NAMCOT 163 game ( Mapper 19 ).
Any help or pointers ?

thanks in advance !

akualung

(first paragraph edited. I should learn to read carefully the full post before replying).

------------------

This is a game I haven't played yet despite being a big fan of its two snes sequels. By the way, you can also give Juvei Quest a try if you haven't already. It's from the same developers and feels really similar to DKM I and II.

T92

Quote from: tbpbird on June 03, 2022, 11:56:06 PM
Hi everyone, i tried to patch this game and everytime i get a glitch during the intro. The glitch i get is wierd blue line that freezes the intro, when i skip the intro and i talk to NPC the dialogue are messed up.
There's not really a lot of information on how to patch it. I also read online other threads where other people seems to have the same issues that i have with this ROM. I tried download a already patched ROM and same glitch with it.
The banana expander supplied with the patch is not working.
Instructions says ""You will need to expand the Japanese ROM from 256KB to 384KB before applying the patch""
So i figure i have to remove the header first to get a 256KB ROM ( Because usually its 257KB with header )  then expand the ROM ? Is it the PRG or CHR that needs to be expanded ?
No information whatsoever about this specific patch.
I also read on some thread that Kingmike ( The translator ) says that it works on fceux-2.2.0 as he tested it on althought every ROM found online gives me glitches with that emulator.
Same thing for other emulator, i tried FCE ultra , fceux-2.2.0 , fceux-2.2.3 , Mesen ,nestopia , and VirtuaNES.
Everywhere i try the patched ROM i get the same kind of glitch in the intro. So at this point i believe either the patch is very bad and not playable at all or its been patched the wrong way by everyone online. I would really love to play that translation.

I have no problem running other NAMCOT 163 game ( Mapper 19 ).
Any help or pointers ?

thanks in advance !

Can you post the link of the patch?

akualung

#3
Quote from: T29 on June 04, 2022, 07:55:17 PM
Can you post the link of the patch?

He'll probably refer to this one: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/619/

edit: I've tried downloading an already patched rom and loaded it on an android emu called Nostalgia.NES and it has run without any problems so far (only thing is, a weird graphical glitch happens for an instant in certain places when opening the menu box). By the way, the translated rom I found has version 1.0b of the patch applied. I wonder if it's the most recent one.

edit 2: I have to go back on what I said earlier, lol. I tried to save my game and I got into an infinite loop with the char "right arrow" being printed in the dialog box over and over again. I used the same emulator and platform as stated above. The intro runs fine without having to skip anything, though.

FFaddic

Almost definitely an issue with the patch. If you look at the reviews for the patch there's one from 2019 that describes an error with the intro requiring it to be skipped.

Cyneprepou4uk

Kaijuu Monogatari (J) [!] 1.0beta2 [KingMike's Translations].ips

NES ROM Expander.exe was angry about missing some COMDLG32.OCX file, but screw it, luckily I'm able to expand ROM's manually. I've doubled PRG banks amount by writing byte 10 at 0x00004, and then added 20000h bytes at 0x00010 (expansion didn't work by adding new banks before the fixed bank).

@KingMike, what's that about forcing regular users to go through unnecessary stuff instead of providing a simple IPS file?

KingMike

#6
Because NES games (aside from probably some rare weird exceptions) need PRG-ROM to be expanded before the last PRG-ROM bank. (due to that mappers normally lock the last PRG-ROM bank to the end of CPU space due to the Reset and NMI (and IRQ, for the mappers that can use it) vectors/routines being located there.
Thus a standard IPS patch will include the remainder of PRG-ROM plus the CHR-ROM.

BPS would probably work (the issue is data being moved, something BPS should be able to account for) but I think many of the translation patches I produced pre-dated it.

Oh, adding blank space didn't work?
It's been so long since I worked on it I've forgotten if the game/mapper is dependent on bank mirroring.
(I mean, the game asking for some way out of range bank and expecting the excessive bits to be masked out)

I remember the original released patch modified the SRAM from originally using the Namcot 106 internal RAM (serial access using registers F800/4800) to using external RAM (standard 6000-7FFF space), then I later released an updated patch restoring SRAM to using the N106 RAM.

The last error I recall people told me about many years ago with the patch, was being unable to enter the final dungeon.
It SEEMED to be an original game bug from the little testing I did, but the game seemed to bug out if using Auto battle mode in the tactical scene before, game seemed to work correctly using Manual battle mode.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Cyneprepou4uk

Quoteadding blank space didn't work?

It worked, though I needed to add extra banks after header, not before fixed bank like in most cases.

tbpbird

thanks everyone for the responses !

i have anopther question for kingsmike

whats the reason for doing that ?

I remember the original released patch modified the SRAM from originally using the Namcot 106 internal RAM (serial access using registers F800/4800) to using external RAM (standard 6000-7FFF space), then I later released an updated patch restoring SRAM to using the N106 RAM.

i am confused, is the latest version on romhacking using the N106 RAM or regular SRAM ?
would it be possible to have the patches for both ? i like having all possible ROMS

KingMike

"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tbpbird

Can you share the sram patch ?
Is it the same version but patched with sram or is it a older version with bugs ?

And what do you mean by Namcot internal 106 ram. Isnt it namcot 163 ?

werewolfslayr925

Quote from: Cyneprepou4uk on June 06, 2022, 11:06:17 AMluckily I'm able to expand ROM's manually. I've doubled PRG banks amount by writing byte 10 at 0x00004, and then added 20000h bytes at 0x00010 (expansion didn't work by adding new banks before the fixed bank).

I tried this but I think I may have made a mistake and broken the ROM. I rewrote byte 0x00004 as "10", but I'm unclear as to how to expand the file further. Do I add 20,000 byte starting with and including byte 0x00010 or starting with and including 0x00011?
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

Cyneprepou4uk

Add between 0F and 10. Right after header.

Or you can just use the patch that I posted.

KingMike

Quote from: tbpbird on June 15, 2022, 02:42:30 AMCan you share the sram patch ?
Is it the same version but patched with sram or is it a older version with bugs ?

And what do you mean by Namcot internal 106 ram. Isnt it namcot 163 ?

It could be 163.
But I'm used to calling it 106 since that is what it was identified as the many years ago I worked on it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018