News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

[Technical] Inuyasha RPG PS1 - Translation

Started by sabansis, December 29, 2021, 10:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabansis

Looking for assistance in translating this PS1 game. I'm having issues building out the table, I do know the language uses a combination of Kanji and Hiragana but I can't figure out how to get the hex correlated to the japanese letters.

I can't seem to get relativesearch or thingy working on my machine since I have a 64bit machine.

Jorpho

Quote from: sabansis on December 29, 2021, 10:18:16 AM
I can't seem to get relativesearch or thingy working on my machine since I have a 64bit machine.
If those are command-line DOS programs, then there's always DOSBox – but I suspect there are alternatives available.

If they use old Visual Basic libraries, then it should be possible to get them working; there have been threads about that before.

If all else fails, you can always make a new 32-bit Windows installation in VMware or VirtualBox.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

sabansis

So I was able to get relative search and thingy and all that working in a 32 bit machine in virtual box but unfortunately I'm not sure how to get the table built. Can someone help me understand how to understand this? I have the hexworkshop and can see things like 4C=L but i'm not sure how to tell what L would be hiragana

Jorpho

Quote from: sabansis on December 29, 2021, 05:24:10 PMI have the hexworkshop and can see things like 4C=L
Yes, the standard ASCII code for uppercase L is 4C, but there's absolutely no reason to expect that the game uses ASCII. If anything, it would probably be Shift-JIS, but it doesn't necessarily have to use any kind of standard encoding. That's the whole point to the table file.

Quote from: sabansis on December 29, 2021, 05:24:10 PM
Can someone help me understand how to understand this?
What have you read so far that you are having trouble understanding?

It may be useful to start off with something simpler. Do you have any way of knowing that you're looking at what should be the game's script?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

sabansis

The game is in a .bin file and I loaded that up in a hex editor so it's bit hard to tell where the manuscript here actually starts. I extracted the .bin and an mscript file and set it to Shift-JIS and some of it is showing in japanese but not all of it. Still not sure how to correlate which characters are used by which hex number

Jorpho

Quote from: sabansis on December 30, 2021, 01:28:16 PMI extracted the .bin and an mscript file
What exactly did you use to do this?

Quoteand set it to Shift-JIS and some of it is showing in japanese but not all of it.
Are you seeing actual Japanese words, or just random Japanese characters? Because any random assortment of bytes will inevitably have some bytes that correspond to Shift-JIS characters, just like some bytes will correspond to ASCII characters.

QuoteStill not sure how to correlate which characters are used by which hex number
That is the whole point to relative search. What did you think it was for?

sabansis

I was able to extract the bin file using isobuster and I'm not positive if I'm seeing actual japanese characters in the mscript file but I setup the UGT using google and it's able to translate pieces of the mscript so I do suspect it's correct.

As far as relative search, in hexworkshop i was able to see the word battle in plain english so i used relative search to show the + - values. Unfortunately I'm not sure how going from b to a is +255 but I did use a table maker and was able to get all of the english letters and numbers built out but I still have no idea how to correlate that into Japanese...

Is anyone able to assist with helping me get the table created?

December 31, 2021, 09:31:43 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I actually may be able to go another route, Since I have the mscript file I'm pretty sure I can just modify this and enter the text I need. Anyone know how to recompile an extracted .bin file? I've tried 7zip and then renaming to .bin but that seems to compress the file too much and the size changes pretty drastically. Or if anyone knows of a program that lets you replace files inside of a .bin that would work as well. I tried cdmage for that but couldn't figure out how to replace files it only let me extract.

Anime_World

Risae

Hi Sabansis,

i'm going to start from the top, so let me tell you some tools that can help you translate this game:

PSXImager V2.0
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1404/
- You can use the tool called "PSXImager V2.0" to dump/extract the contents of the game's ISO/BIN using "psxrip".
- You can also use it to "rebuild" the ISO/BIN using "psxbuild".
- It seems like it also support to "replace" files inside an ISO/BIN (psxinject)

wxMEdit
https://wxmedit.github.io/
- "wxMEdit" is a HEX Editor which allows you to view files using various encodings.

Duckstation
https://github.com/stenzek/duckstation
- "Duckstation" is a PS1 emulator with very, very powerful debugging tools. I highly recommend using it to debug the game while you are translating the text.

quickBMS
http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm
- After you extracted the contents of the games BIN/ISO, you will see that the game has more files that are actually archives, and contain more files in it. "quickBMS" is able to extract those files using scripts.

abcde (Cartographer & Atlas)
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1392/
- abcde is a tool to dump and reinsert scripts using table files. You have to experiment and get to know how this tool works, but once it works it can make your life a lot easier translating the scripts.

When you want to translate a game, you probably will have a workflow that looks like this:

- Dump the contents of the ISO/BIN using PSXImager
- Search for the file that contains the script and check if the file is another archive
- Extract the contents of the script file archive using quickBMS
- Check how the script file works and extract the script using abcde's Cartographer
= Translate the extracted script file
=> Reinsert the script using abcde's Atlas
=> Rebuild the script archive using quickBMS
=> Rebuild the BIN/ISO using PSXImager
=> Test the game

Some things i found looking at the dumped files of the game's BIN:

- MSCRIPT > MSCR.DAT seems to contain some japanese text (looking at it through wxMEdit with SHIFT-JIS).
It seems like the file "MSCR.DAT" is an archive that contains even more files inside of it. I recommend checking out the quickBMS forum and ask if anyone is able to help create a quickBMS script file that is able to extract the files.

- I looked at the ELF (Executable file of the game, "SLPS_033.74") and managed to find some japanese text using wxMEdit with SHIFT-JIS encoding.

If you are looking for a table file that has almost all the SHIFT-JIS codes inside of it, then you can use my file that i'm using to translate Growlanser 6:
https://bitbucket.org/Risae/growlanser-6-english-translation/src/master/GL5%20%26%206/GL5%20and%206%20abcde%20scripts/abcde.tbl

Be aware that at the very bottom of the file the control codes need to be removed, since those are exclusive to Growlanser 5 and 6.

Have fun and don't give up if you encouter a roadblock!

sabansis

Wow, Thank you so much for all of that. This is great and you offered a ton of useful information. I'll take your tips and put them to work.

Thanks again!

knuxyl

I'm sure I'm one of the many looking forward to it!