News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Questions about Super Mario Bros(NES) Hacking  (Read 3873 times)

FlyingFire64

• View Profile
Questions about Super Mario Bros(NES) Hacking
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:34 pm »
I have several questions about SMB1 hacking, and the utilities used to hack it. If anyone knows the answers to any of these, please let me know.

1(There's already a thread I made about this, but I'm still asking, in case that thread never gets replies.): How come when I click on ROMIEIUP(I didn't have the characters on my keyboard, so I'm using alternatives.) after making a title screen in SMBTE(Super Mario Bros. Title Editor). I did the same thing when I made a background in the SMB1 Background Editor, and it worked, so why won't it work in SMBTE?

2: How do I edit Mario's palletes with Hex Editing? I followed a tutorial on YouTube with the same programs, and it didn't do anything for me.

3: Will SMBUtility allow you to add new objects and enemies to levels without taking from other levels?

4: Are there any good places to download .dll files? There is a utility I'd really like to try  out on this website called "Super Mario Alternate Reality", and it requires a .dll file, so I download a .dll file fixer that automatically installed the .dll file I was looking for, and when I opened Super Mario Alternate Reality, afterwards, it still didn't work, except this time, it's not because of a .dll file.

August 29, 2014, 10:22:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I forgot about question 5, so here it is.

5: How can I remove the option to play in 2 Player Game from SMB1's title screen?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Super Mario Bros(NES) Hacking
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:15:49 pm »
4: Are there any good places to download .dll files? There is a utility I'd really like to try  out on this website called "Super Mario Alternate Reality", and it requires a .dll file, so I download a .dll file fixer that automatically installed the .dll file I was looking for, and when I opened Super Mario Alternate Reality, afterwards, it still didn't work, except this time, it's not because of a .dll file.
I assume you're referring to http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/71/ .  It seems that it requires compatibility mode: right-click smbar.exe, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab, and then select "Run this program in compatiblity mode".  XP will probably work, or maybe Windows 95.  The optimal way would be to use XP Mode if you're running Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, or to use a virtual machine running XP.

Also, please don't say things like "it still didn't work" without providing some explanation of what exactly happens.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FlyingFire64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:20:46 pm »
I assume you're referring to http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/71/ .  It seems that it requires compatibility mode: right-click smbar.exe, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab, and then select "Run this program in compatiblity mode".  XP will probably work, or maybe Windows 95.  The optimal way would be to use XP Mode if you're running Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, or to use a virtual machine running XP.

Also, please don't say things like "it still didn't work" without providing some explanation of what exactly happens.

I got in to smbar.exe's properties, and I didn't see a compatibility mode. Is this because I have Windows 8, and not Windows 7?

Jorpho

• View Profile
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FlyingFire64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:36:37 pm »
I don't recall seeing a "Compatibility" tab anywhere, but I might've overlooked it. I'll get back to question 4 when I need to, but by any chance do you know any solutions to the other 5 questions?

EDIT: All I had to do was extract the program in order to access compatibility mode. Thanks for the help with this question.
Also, forget about question 3, since this utility changes Mario's colors.

RE-EDIT: I tried to open SMBar in Compatibility Mode(using ALL of the Operating Systems), and now I need to download COMDLG32.OCX. I think a download is mandatory, or else I'm screwed, since this program refuses to work. Do you know any safe places to download .dll and .ocx files?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:49:26 am by FlyingFire64 »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:30:40 am »
RE-EDIT: I tried to open SMBar in Compatibility Mode(using ALL of the Operating Systems), and now I need to download COMDLG32.OCX. I think a download is mandatory, or else I'm screwed, since this program refuses to work. Do you know any safe places to download .dll and .ocx files?
This particular dependency is a common problem in old Visual Basic programs.  Presumably it works the same way in Windows 8 as it does in Windows 7:
http://devonenote.com/2010/02/register-comdlg32-ocx-on-x64-win7/

You may also end up needing comctl32.ocx.  You can get that from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896559 ; you will need to register it the same way.