ROMhacking - PSP basics
|Game||Digivice Ver. Portable|
|Release Date||27 March 2023|
|Last Modified||27 March 2023|
This guide contains explanations to reverse engineering a PSP game to create a translation patch, using as example the “digivice ver. portable psp” ISO. (it has plenty of images to make the understanding easier)
Warning: Some files and/or methods of this project might be only as a proof of concept, hence they lead nowhere further on. If you don’t know why something is there, it’s probably that.
- This is a PDF version of: https://github.com/Bunkai9448/digipet_PSP. To help clarity and visibility.
- This guide is, also, basically a cleaned-up version of: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=35699.msg437896#msg437896
- You must provide your own game files. Please do not ask here for them.
- Extra Tools required
- First Steps
- Working with the CPK file
- Text File
- More unpackaging inside the CPK
- Images and GIM files
- Remaining text in the Eboot
- The Font
- Repackaging the CPK
- System Messages
- Last Steps
- Extra: Making the patch
- Extra 2: Making a cheatcode
- List of References
- Special thanks
To give a brief idea, here’s Extra Tools required list
- https://www.ppsspp.org/index.html (PPSSPP emulator & debugger).
- https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1218/ (UMDgen).
- https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/818/ (Crystal Tile 2).
- CriPackTools & Cripack maker / crifilesystem (some versions don’t work and not all can be shared).
- https://github.com/Kingcom/armips (armips program).
- http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm (quickBMS program).
- GimConv (you have to find this tool on your own).
- https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1225/ (DecEboot to decrypt EBOOT.BIN).
- http://aluigi.org/bms/parse_exe.bms (to unpack the decrypted EBOOT.BIN and work with the text part better).
- https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/ (xdelta and xdeltaUI to create the patch easily).
User Review Information
No User Reviews!