Newest Translations

Space Harrier Suikoden Donkey Kong Excitebike

Newest Utilities

Zapper 2020 DKC Stage Name Editor Universal PVR Extractor & Patcher Room Transfer

Newest Reviews

Double Dragon II Controller Fix Shining Force 2 War of the Gods Mega Man 7 Restoration Pokemon Yellow - Gen. II Graphics Patch

Newest Homebrew

Nova the Squirrel Death Planet Bad Apple!! PV-FC 2.5 Simplistic

Featured Hack Images

Super Mario Bros. DX Chrono Cross: Magus Unmasked Super Metroid - Cliffhanger Mega Man IV Simplified

Featured Translation Images

Golden Sun Doraemon 4: Nobita to Tsuki no Oukoku Mahou Kishi Rayearth 2: Making of Magic Knight The Guardian Legend

Recent Updates

  • Hacks
    Expanded readme documentation.
  • Hacks
    An alternative version compatible with "Bomberman co-op" is created.
  • Translations
    Spelling correction of the word "Assohles", I fixed the typo and changed it to "Assholes". I also capitalized the words "French", and "English" in the description section. I got the following errors when I attempted to submit my corrections so I had to download, resize, and upload/change the images as well: 1. 'https://www.romhacking.net/translations/gameboy/images/2592screenshot1.png' is a size of 320x288 which is invalid for platform: 'Game Boy'! Native resolutions for this platform are 160x144. Additional Information. 2. 'https://www.romhacking.net/translations/gameboy/images/2592screenshot2.png' is a size of 320x288 which is invalid for platform: 'Game Boy'! Native resolutions for this platform are 160x144. Additional Information. 3. 'https://www.romhacking.net/translations/gameboy/images/2592screenshot3.png' is a size of 320x288 which is invalid for platform: 'Game Boy'! Native resolutions for this platform are 160x144. Additional Information. 4. 'https://www.romhacking.net/translations/gameboy/images/2592titlescreen.png' is a size of 320x288 which is invalid for platform: 'Game Boy'! Native resolutions for this platform are 160x144. Additional Information.
  • Hacks
    Bug fixes and general improvements.

Project Zetsubou

English

Description:

History:

We started out as two guys (BlackDragonHunt and Ritobito) studying Japanese who stumbled onto a Danganronpa trailer in January of 2011, started playing with not much more than a passing interest, and then had completely fallen in love by the time we were done. Mostly out of curiosity, BDH started poking around in the game’s archives to see if he could get at the data, but he didn’t have much luck. Every so often, he would come back to it and start prodding at the data a bit more, but it wasn’t until the sequel–Super Danganronpa 2–was announced that August that he actually gave it a serious shot. That was August 3, 2011 (or August 2 in the US).

That very same day, BDH had a basic extractor built, and by 11 PM on August 3, he had successfully inserted the first line of English text into the demo. It snowballed from there, BDH picking through the game’s data and sharing his findings with Ritobito, who was getting pumped at the prospect of an opportunity to bring this outstanding game to an English-speaking audience.

We got to work pretty much right away, splitting translation duties roughly 50/50. It was bumpy at first, because we’d never done anything like this before. Plus, the game stores text separate from the control codes used to display it, so–short of having the game up alongside us as we worked (which we did for a while)–we were mostly translating blind. But, as time passed and we figured out more of the game’s file formats, our tools evolved, leaving less room for guesswork and more room for real work.

By early September, we had fully translated and edited the demo, leaving only a few scattered images left to take care of. It was around that time that BDH got the idea to create a visual editor to streamline the process, so he got to work on that. With the demo completed and the script editor under construction, we decided it would probably be prudent to sit on the demo for the time being and hold off on a release until we were closer to done with the full game. It didn’t seem wise to put a demo out there when we had no guarantee we would even make it all the way through the colossal, nearly one-million character script. (By way of comparison, the demo has ~54,000 characters of text, roughly half of which isn’t even used.)

We officially started translating the full game on November 17, 2011, and we brought LordSilent into the fold late January. Again, the road was bumpy, because not only were we still new to this whole translation stuff, none of us had ever worked on a project of this scale. After some fumbling, we realized that having everyone do everything wasn’t going to work, so we split the roles, with BDH doing translation, Ritobito editing, and LordSilent translation checking. After that, things started moving a lot smoother, with more, consistent progress being made.

And it’s pretty much continued like that since.*

*Source: Project Zetsubou: For the Dispairfication of All Mankind

Links:

Releases:


1 Translation
TitlePlatformGame
Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei (EN)PSPDanganronpa: Hope's Academy and Despair's Students

Contributions: