Vs. Super Mario Bros. - Home Edition - Version 1.1 Released!
20 June 2014 7:51AM EST - Update by BMF54123
ROM Hacks News
Vs. Super Mario Bros. - Home Edition - has been updated to version 1.1! As the name implies, this patch modifies the Vs. Super Mario Bros. arcade ROM to be fully compatible with standard NES consoles, exchanging the physical dipswitches for a pre-game configuration menu and adding high score saving (a feature not present in the original).
New in version 1.1:
- Fixed intermittent scanline glitch on NTSC PPUs (this affected the original game as well)
- Changed default dipswitch settings to match those found in the operation manual; defaults can now be restored by pressing A + B + Select at the menu
- Dipswitch settings are now saved in SRAM
- Implemented timer speed settings for both original and alternate ROMs (no need for separate ROMs anymore)
- Minor fixes and cleanups
[ COMMENTS ] Relevant Link - RHDN Project Page
Vs. Super Mario Bros. - Home Edition -
04 March 2013 10:54AM EST - Update by BMF54123
ROM Hacks News
Vs. Super Mario Bros. is the arcade version of Super Mario Bros., released on the NES-based Vs. System hardware in 1986. It features altered stage and enemy layouts, increased difficulty, configurable extra life and timer speed settings, and a high score table.
This patch allows the game to be run on a standard MMC1 cart with 8KB SRAM. No custom hardware required!
It also adds the following features:
- Pre-game menu that allows you to set dipswitches and reset the high scores
- High score retention (when using battery-backed SRAM)
- Correct NES colors (Vs. hardware used RGB PPUs with scrambled colors)
The patch has been tested on the PowerPak and works flawlessly. It should also work on any other flash cart or copier with MMC1 support.