A BUNCH of Updates come to AV!
05 February 2022 7:21AM EST - Update by CousinCatnip
Over 17+ Updates come to the NES Mega Man V romhack: AV!
Did you want to use the Mega Buster? Where you looking for less spikes? Maybe a few bug and softlock fixes?
Well, AV 1.1 HAS IT ALL!
Now with 6 modes to choose from, you can customize the experience to make it as easy or as hard as you desire.
There are also a few graphical surprises and some fancier refights!
Finally, the infamous Wily 1 stage has been adjusted to be less punishing. It might be worth revisiting if that gave you trouble!
What are you waiting for?
Watch the NEW trailer here: https://youtu.be/6c2t5D1F3OY
Download AV 1.1 here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6346/
Castlevania AoS (USA) - Symphony of the Colors UPDATE by JonataGuitar
03 February 2022 10:07AM EST - Update by sorrow
Behold, EVEN MORE Brand New colors for Castlevania Aria of Sorrow.
Play through the vanilla Aria of Sorrow experience, but with a new visual style inspired by Castlevania Symphony of the Night!
JonataGuitar recolored the following categories:
- Player Characters and NCPs
As this patch only aims to change palettes, they may or may not work with other AoS patches. Test on your own and find out!
Use of the two patches were tested (very briefly) with the ALTER patch for AoS.
Initial testing seemed to have BOTH of the patches work fine, with no crashing/resets due to the cheat protection of the ALTER patch, leading one to believe they should be fine for a full playthrough, though YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.
To use with ALTER, your AoS rom must be patched with ALTER FIRST, and THEN apply one of the Recolor Patches.
Star Fox - Mouse Mode - Play Star Fox with SNES mouse!
01 February 2022 11:16AM EST - Update by kandowontu
Imagine - the year is 1993. The SNES comes out with Star Fox - and it supports the SNES mouse!
That is the idea of this project - enjoy a whole new experience playing Star Fox in the style of Descent or an FPS!
By putting a mouse onto port 2, you can now control the ship!
Left mouse button - Fire
Right mouse button - Bomb
Both buttons at the same time - BOOST or BRAKE Double clicking both buttons within 9 frames will swap the mode from Boost-Brake.
You can move by aiming, as well as move by using the D-pad.
Enjoy! This rom comes packed with Crosshair always on, 21mhz SuperFX, and FASTROM enabled.
This is another project brought to you by kandowontu and the Star Fox Exploration Discord Server.
Starfox Exploration Discord: https://discord.gg/TYuD3TkEhB
Special thanks to Catador and Phonymike
Few Graphical Tweaks to Mortal Kombat Arcade Edition
26 January 2022 9:07PM EST - Update by Rael G.C.
Some improvements to the Mortal Kombat Arcade Edition hack (all sent to Linkuei, the author of the hack).
In attached images, there are 3 columns: the hack, the improvements in progress and the arcade version (resized).
So, a short description of the improvements:
- Sub-Zero: reworked background, new blue in palette colors, hand colors improvement, some touches on his forehead.
- Liu Kang: some smoothness to his face shadows, reworked left ear, reworked left fire in the background.
- Scorpion: resized of the yellow cover mask, some border smoothing, reworked the colors on his forehead (the arcade is using gray shadows, but the ROM has only 1 gray… so at least now it appears a bit more natural gradient).
- Kano: both ears are improved (mostly the right one), both eyes were reworked (to match the arcade a bit closer), the right side of this neck was reworked too, and some recoloring of the leather bags on his shoulder.
- Rayden: some smoothness on the shadows on his face (to appear not “hand drawn” and bit more “real” like the arcade), some smooth and repositioning in some lightning, improved the inner shadow on his “hat”, redrawn of the hand… and the most difficulty one: re-create the dark gray shadows on his kimono. But the arcade is using more than 6 shades of gray, while this screen have only one. For now, it’s just trying to simulate a simple shadow.
New Hacks Added to the Database
21 January 2022 2:16PM EST - Update by RHDNBot
This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net’s RHDNBot.
The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):
- SM64 Lug’s Delightful Dioramas on Console (Super Mario 64)(N64)
- Dragon Warrior I & II - Modern Spell Names (Dragon Warrior I & II)(GB)
- Kirby ‘n’ (Kirby - Tilt ‘n’ Tumble)(GB)
- Castlevania Red Stained (Castlevania)(NES)
- Civilization UI & Text Tweaks (Sid Meier’s Civilization)(SNES)
- Pokémon Emerald Bugfixes (Pokémon: Emerald Version)(GBA)
- Starfox 2 - Wireframe Mode (Star Fox 2)(SNES)
- Super Duper Metroid (Super Metroid)(SNES)
- Super Mario Kart Featuring Retro HD & Friends (Super Mario Kart)(SNES)
- Starfox (Japan Rev 1) 21mhz SuperFX (Star Fox)(SNES)
- Starwing (Euro Rev 1) 21mhz SuperFX Speed (Star Fox)(SNES)
- SM64 Lug’s Delightful Dioramas (Super Mario 64)(N64)
- Super Mario 64 Land (Super Mario 64)(N64)
- Starwing (Germany) 21mhz SuperFX (Star Fox)(SNES)
- Git up, Git Out, Git Gud (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- Super Mario Bros : Fourth Quest (Super Mario Bros.)(NES)
- Chozo Bros 3+4 (Mario Bros.)(NES)
- Donkey Kong Racing (Donkey Kong 64)(N64)
- Kid Icarus Randomizer (Kid Icarus)(NES)
- Day In The Life (Super Mario World)(SNES)
- Pokemon Boost Black 2 (Pokémon: Black Version 2)(NDS)
- Takahashi Master’s Adventure Island III (Adventure Island III)(NES)
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - Playable Old Axe Armor Hack (Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow)(NDS)
- RoboCop - Texas Edition (RoboCop)(NES)
- Mega Kart Retro (Super Mario Kart)(SNES)
- Starfox - Wireframe Mode (Star Fox)(SNES)
- Metroid Confrontation_NES (Metroid)(NES)
- Dai-4-ji Super Robot Taisen - Touhou Atrangers (Dai-4-Ji Super Robot Taisen)(SNES)
- Super Mario Kart Featuring Retro HD & CDX (Super Mario Kart)(SNES)
- Castlevania Alternative Version (Castlevania)(NES)
- The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle Two: The Third One (The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle II)(GB)
- Super Mario Bros. 3 - Ridley X Hack 7 (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- Pokémon Frontier Adventures (Pokémon: Emerald Version)(GBA)
- Super Mario Bros. Cruise (Super Mario Bros.)(NES)
- Alleyway DX (Alleyway)(GB)
- The Arobam Adventures (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- Super Mario Bros. 3 - Ridley X Hack Special (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- Super HitCombo Kart- Snowland Version 2.0 (Super Mario Kart)(SNES)
- SMW Quest For Gaming (Super Mario World)(SNES)
- Whitesmoke’s Training Wheels (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- Gadien’s Spring Cleaning (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- Hack SMB3 (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- Plantations No More (LEGO Battles)(NDS)
- More Fair Outdoor Sections (Metal Gear)(NES)
- Mario kart 64 Randomized (Mario Kart 64)(N64)
- Super Mario Kart - Improved Sound Samples (Super Mario Kart)(SNES)
- Breath of Fire IV: Working Identify Ability Hack (Breath of Fire IV)(PSX)
- Kirby’s Avalanche - Rewritten (Kirby’s Avalanche)(SNES)
- EarthBouns 2 (Mother 3)(GBA)
- Golden Axe III Redux (Golden Axe III)(GEN)
- Final Fantasy IV: Daughter of Darkness and Light (Final Fantasy II)(SNES)
- Pac-Man Arcade (Pac-Man)(NES)
- Bloody Roar II (USA) - (Half) Undub Patch (Bloody Roar 2: Bringer of the New Age)(PSX)
- Mini Hams no Pipeline Daisakusen (Gorby no Pipeline Daisakusen)(NES)
- Freeing Marty the Thwomp in Mario Kart 64 (Mario Kart 64)(N64)
- The Ooze Redux (The Ooze)(GEN)
- Parodius Da! (Japan) FastROM (Parodius Da! - Shinwa kara Owarai e (SNES))(SNES)
- SMB3 Ridley X Hack XMAS (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- VRC7-Man (Bomberman)(NES)
- Tetris - Beginner (Tetris)(NES)
- Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 4 (Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 4)(GC)
- Zelda ALttP - Kakariko Shortcut (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)(SNES)
- Force Pazuzu Floor Six (Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest)(SNES)
- Enhansa Edition (Chrono Trigger)(SNES)
- Super Mario Advance - SNES Color Restoration (Super Mario Advance)(GBA)
- Starfox FASTROM 21mhz SuperFX (Star Fox)(SNES)
- Golden Axe Hard Edition (Golden Axe)(GEN)
- Mortal Kombat Arcade Edition (Mortal Kombat)(GEN)
- Super Game Boy 2: Vaporwave Edition (Super Game Boy 2)(SNES)
- Crystalis QOL & ungrind (Crystalis)(NES)
- Rhyme Rider Kerorican - The Digimon Rhythm Collection Part 1 (Rhyme Rider Kerorican)(WS)
- Bloody Roar 3 (USA) - Undub Patch (Bloody Roar 3)(PS2)
- Ms. Pac-Man to Pac-Man (Ms. Pac-Man (Namco))(NES)
- Bloody Roar 2 (PAL) - Undub Patch (Bloody Roar 2: Bringer of the New Age)(PSX)
- Spider-Man VS Kingpin DX (Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin)(GEN)
- Breath of Fire II - Nina’s Sensible Spells (Breath of Fire II)(SNES)
- SRW2 - 30th Anniversary Patch (Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen)(NES)
- Bloody Roar 3 (PAL) - Undub Patch (Bloody Roar 3)(PS2)
- Luigi’s Mansion: First-Person Optimized (Luigi’s Mansion)(GC)
- ATP Tour Championship Tennis 2022 (ATP Tour Championship Tennis)(GEN)
- Fixed Beezo and Hoopster Colors (Super Mario Advance)(GBA)
- Knightcrawler’s Zelda II Sprite Pack Vol 1 (Zelda II: The Adventure of Link)(NES)
- Super Mario Advance - Music Pitch Correction (Super Mario Advance)(GBA)
- Castlevania Shattered Memories (Castlevania)(NES)
- Extended Easy Mode (Ninja Cop)(GBA)
- Atari Pitfall for SNES (Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (SNES))(SNES)
- MK 2 Dark Edition MD/GEN - Color Hack (Mortal Kombat 2)(GEN)
- James Pond 3 Password SRAM (James Pond 3: Operation Starfish)(GEN)
- Accelerometer removal patch (Kirby - Tilt ‘n’ Tumble)(GB)
- Simultaneous movement removal patch (Vandal Hearts II)(PSX)
- Pinocchio 32X Special Edition (Disney’s Pinocchio)(32X)
- Gemma on the Title Screen (LEGO Battles)(NDS)
- Mega Man Star Force 2 Not Quite DX (Mega Man Star Force 2)(NDS)
- Zelda ALttP - Title Skip and Full Hearts (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)(SNES)
- Mega Man - No Score (Mega Man)(NES)
- Fire Emblem - Binding Blade Plus (Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade)(GBA)
- Terminator 2 - Arcade Remix (T2 - The Arcade Game)(SNES)
- trancingdeeper’s FZEdit Track Compilation (F-Zero)(SNES)
- Fire Emblem - Blazing Blade Plus (Fire Emblem)(GBA)
- Fire Emblem - Sacred Stones Plus (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)(GBA)
- ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron Password SRAM (ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron)(GEN)
- JobexiMod - SMB (Super Mario Bros.)(NES)
- Super Koopa Bros (Super Mario Bros.)(NES)
- Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 Rebaked (Dragon Warrior I & II)(GB)
- Mega Man Xtreme 2 - Force GBA Enhanced Mode (Mega Man Xtreme 2)(GB)
- Macross Scrambled Valkyrie Plus SRAM (Choujikuu Yousai Macross - Scrambled Valkyrie)(SNES)
- Breath of Fire II - Double Exp. & Zenny (Breath of Fire II)(SNES)
- Advance Wars Story (Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising)(GBA)
- X-Men Mutant Apocalypse SRAM (X-Men Mutant Apocalypse)(SNES)
- FF4- Chocobo OST (Final Fantasy II)(SNES)
- Right Click Patch (Mario Paint)(SNES)
- Centipede (USA) Highscore Save Patch (Centipede (USA))(GB)
- Random Battle Songs (Final Fantasy III)(SNES)
- Haxor’s Grocery Run (Super Mario Bros. 3)(NES)
- Debilitator Reset (Final Fantasy III)(SNES)
- Super Luigi Bros. (Super Mario Bros.)(NES)
- Adventures of Batman & Robin (FastROM) (The Adventures of Batman & Robin)(SNES)
- Antifreeze Hack (Final Fantasy III)(SNES)
- Demolition Man SRAM (Demolition Man)(GEN)
- Minor Color Fixes For SFPW2 (Super Fire Pro Wrestling 2)(SNES)
- Minor Color Fixes For SFPW3 (Super Fire Pro Wrestling III - Easy Type)(SNES)
- Pokémon Emerald Plus & Double Plus (Pokémon: Emerald Version)(GBA)
- Pokemon Red Defined (Pokémon: Red Version)(GB)
- DEcap Attack SRAM (Decap Attack)(GEN)
- SoulSilver Rebalanced (Pokémon SoulSilver)(NDS)
Advance Wars Story
18 January 2022 6:56AM EST - Update by PlatinumSkink
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising is the sequel to Advance Wars, both for Game Boy Advance. They take place in the world where war is fun and lightweight, where dimwitted kids can be fearsome battlefield commanders and the COs (commanding officers) are as varied as they are amusing. The battle itself takes place through turn-based tactics, where one commands their entire army before the other, seeking to capture properties to gain the funds to produce stronger units than the opponent. It features a campaign mode, which contains the bulk of the character interactions and story in the game…
PlatinumSkink had a story in mind. It would serve as a sequel-story to Advance Wars 2, which tied up a couple loose ends and ultimately would give a better sense of closure than the current ending did, he hoped. However, there was something thoroughly unsatisfying about just writing a fanfic and publishing it on some fanfiction website where it’d likely not be read a lot. No, instead, he decided he’d go the distance. He’d actually hack Advance Wars 2 so that he could tell his Advance Wars Story in the purest way possible; through the game itself!
This is Advance Wars Story. It tells an original sequel story to Advance Wars 2 and assumes familiarity with the gameplay. 34 missions have been designed and created to serve as a new campaign. Some new units have been added, numerous units have been altered, numerous COs have been balanced. A new story is told.
The skills to produce this project were obtained from the Wars World News Forums, where the best Advance Wars 2 hackers in the world can be found. Without them, this production would not have been possible. The relevant link leads to the release page on that site. However, it was also deemed fit to share this production with the great romhacking database that is romhacking.net.
Now, while PlatinumSkink maybe sees himself as a decent enough storyteller, he might potentially not be as good a game designer. He hopes that after people play his hack they could tell him what could be done to improve it, and after several editions perhaps this hack could be made even greater!
Good continued luck, fellow commanders!
Luigi's Mansion - First-Person Hack Updated to v1.1
17 January 2022 7:48AM EST - Update by Sky Bluigi
Luigi’s Mansion: First-Person Optimized, which released at the tail-end of 2021, has just recently been updated with a little more content, on top of some polish and bug-fixes!
This hack now features the following:
- The option to not only roam the Lab freely, but also walk to the adjacent rooms and go up to the mansion on foot. (Though the Portrificationizer Room is off-limits.)
- Added dialogue to E. Gadd’s training tips, to help players adjust to the first-person viewpoint.
- Increased difficulty, due to stronger enemy attacks, and a more unforgiving Hidden Mansion, where heart pickups can’t be found in furniture, among other things.
- An additional control option for people who struggle keeping the flashlight off during combat.
(More details are on the project page!)
If the initial version of FPO didn’t have enough meat to it (or was just too hard to get into), hopefully this new update will make up for that, at least somewhat. The intention with this hack isn’t to change Luigi’s Mansion up TOO much, besides switching the camera mode and optimizing various things to work with the new perspective. But for people wanting a little more spice when replaying this GameCube launch title, this modification should now hopefully satisfy! :)
Dai-4-ji Super Robot Taisen - Character and Robot Hacks
12 January 2022 10:56AM EST - Update by kikeroga
“Dai-4-ji Super Robot Taisen” is the last Super Robot Taisen of the SNES era, released on Mar-17, 1995.
- Mobile Suit Gundam
- Holy Warrior Dunbine
- Heavy fighter L-Gaim
- Mazinger Z
- UFO Robo Grendizer
- Getter Robo
- Combattler V - Super Electromagnetic Robot
- Fighting General Deimos
- Brave Raideen
- Zambot 3 - Invincible Super Robot
- Daitarn 3 - Invincible Steel Man
- GoShogun - Sengoku Majin
- Dancouga - Super Beast Machine God
- Banpresto Originals
The game features the ability to select an original protagonist to be the player’s alter ego. In this patch, these protagonists and the first robots they ride have been changed to the following characters.
- Ben Raycock from THE☆ANIMAGE, and robots such as GASPAL and SOMURO.
- Ender Wiggin from Ender’s Game.
- Rish Griswell from Super Robot Wars 64.
- Reimu and Marisa from Touhou Project.
- Popopo, Meta Knight, and the Queen of Ripple Star from Kirby series…
- Changed the Guntank to GM Camouf.
This patch will improve the graphics of the pilots and robots in the game, and make you feel like playing this game again. The GM Camouf in particular is very flavorful. If you strengthen it with modification and equipment parts, and Amuro boards it, it will somehow be able to play an active role until the middle of the story.
Also included a patch to change only graphics. (It will probably be applicable to the future translation editions as well.)
"Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen" for NES celebrated its 30th anniversary!
05 January 2022 1:08AM EST - Update by kikeroga
Dec-29, 1991 was the day that “Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen” for the NES was released.
This title has created fascinating elements that form the basis of the series, such as pilots and story crossovers, and is a title that has been enjoyed by all generations, and can be called the origin of the Super Robot series.
Appearance anime series:
- Mobile Suit Gundam
- Mazinger Z
- Getter Robo
- UFO Robo Grendizer
- Masou Kishin Cybuster (Game Original)
This patch will improve the graphics of the pilots and robots in the game, and make you feel like playing this game again.
It can be combined with the following translation patches.
Super Robot fans all over the world, Let’s remember the excitement of 30 years ago!
Star Fox - Wireframe Mode Released!
04 January 2022 12:21AM EST - Update by kandowontu
Star Fox has been given another way to enjoy its beautiful shapes and environments - Wireframe Mode!
Given the same treatment as Star Fox 2, it was time for the OG Star Fox to go faceless.
Experience the fun with see-through wireframe meshes, as every 3+ point face has been converted into multiple 2 point edges!
There are 3 patch flavors - Standard, 21MHZ SuperFX, or 21MHZ SuperFX/FASTROM.