A Week of Garfield Upgrade released!
12 April 2022 10:52AM EST - Update by pangenttech
A week of adventure with the world’s favorite comic strip cat!
A Week Of Garfield is somewhat infamous as a poor-quality licensed NES game. It is not quite as bad as its reputation, but it’s very flawed and unforgiving.
This hack greatly improves the character graphics for Garfield, and alters other character and item graphics, along with other improvements and corrections.
This hack features:
* Overhauled graphics, especially Garfield and the UI. * Start with full health. * Level select. Press Select at the title screen to skip stages, then press Start. * New font in the style of “Search for Pooky” for the Game Boy Advance. * All text converted to ASCII format. * Graphical bugs fixed, like how the lasagna powerup is rendered. * Palette bugs fixed, like the incorrect palette of the Mice on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Garfield is a one of a kind cat. He loves lasagna and coffee. He hates Mondays. When his friend Odie the dog disappears suddenly, Garfield goes on a week-long adventure to find Odie. It won’t be easy. Garfield will be attacked by mice, birds, spiders, frogs, worms, flies, fish, baseballs and more. Checking in with his owner, cartoonist Jon Arbuckle, Garfield must reach the end of each level and find the key before time runs out. Milk, lasagna and coffee will keep him going. He can kick enemies. He can also throw bones, burgers and cheese. But watch out! He’ll need to defeat the dangerous alley cats who stand in his way. It’s going to be a difficult journey. Can you handle it? Look out, Monday, here comes Garfield, in his first adventure for your Nintendo Entertainment System.
"MOTHER 4" is finally here...? Uh-oh!
02 April 2022 9:11PM EST - Update by Polinym
It’s that time of year again. Which time? The first of a certain month, which means that it’s time for THAT kind of EarthBound hack.
Given the issues of timing and wanting to avoid sounding like a pretentious wackjob with a stick up his rear to those who haven’t played Persona 5 Royal like last year’s disaster, this year the creator of this hack has decided not to use any deception in marketing.
“MOTHER 4″ was designed as a sequel to the SNES RPG EarthBound. The goal was to create “the worst EarthBound hack ever made”. Of course, it wouldn’t be fun to just make the hack “lol unbeatable!”. Thus, “MOTHER 4″ is a troll hack, which will trick the player at each and every turn, much like a Mario Maker troll level. Trust nothing. “MOTHER 4″ rewards players who are clever, but those who play just as mindless as the hack itself will struggle. Extremely skilled players could beat the hack in just a few minutes.
And the plot? The hack’s writing is on par with Fire Emblem Awakening. Giygas is back! Why? How? Who knows. Nest’s bicycle gets stolen, and he must get his friends to go stop the alien again.
“MOTHER 4″ also includes the “Adaptive Troll Difficulty” feature, which causes random mechanics to cease functioning if the game is played for a long period of time. Use Nest’s “Calling Fone” to save the game anytime, anywhere and avoid the troll!
When does the madness end? When you get a hug, you know you’ve reached the game’s end.
As per usual, a trailer for the hack can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PZkWiKCJFU
Ys III Rebalanced Released for Genesis
25 March 2022 8:12PM EST - Update by mentil
Once again, Mentil has released a balance hack for a late-80s ARPG. When will the madness end?! (Psst, at least three more games are on the docket.) This hack was made in ten days, incidentally.
As the final port (in its era) of a 1989 game, the Genesis version is oft considered the superior version… aside from its notoriously unfair difficulty and poor translation. This hack aims to rectify the former.
Primary balance changes:
- The player getting hit now grants 25 invincibility frames rather than 10; each mistake is now less likely to get you hit more than once.
- Enemies now grant 6x the gold and XP in the early game; once reaching an area where you should be about halfway to the level cap, this drops to 2x. One should reach the recommended level for each area by the time one arrives, with almost no grinding required, if one slays every monster in one’s path.
- Many enemies and bosses have had their damage output reduced to more-reasonable levels, with boss adjustments undergoing greater playtesting. The final boss got particular attention and should be far less frustrating to fight.
- Each enemy defeated now grants 3 ring points instead of 1, making rings more useful without frequent recharges in town.
If you have a disdain for Engrish, try this with the compatible hack Ys III Renewal by Plombo, which also includes some graphical improvements.
Let's Kill Iggy isn't bad any more
24 March 2022 6:06PM EST - Update by capnkatie
Let’s Kill Iggy was a messy, slightly buggy hack of Super Mario 1 that was rushed out at the end of 2018. While it was a bit of a mess, it definitely had the potential to be something a lot better- so the author spent 3 years procrastinating before she sat down and spent a day fixing various bugs, replacing graphics and overhauling the atrocious level design. Now a good version finally exists! Enjoy.
This hack edits essentially everything in the game (for better or worse), and contains 20 levels of varying difficulty, while requiring a skill level only a little above average to complete. It contains many fresh, slightly weird and sometimes mean tricks plus some almost inventive uses of the game’s mechanics… plus it has Boos, a Ghost House level, note blocks, new jumping physics, Mario 3-inspired level design and a trailer (linked below)… why not give it a go?
New Hacks Added to the Database
21 March 2022 4:19PM EST - Update by RHDNBot
This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net’s RHDNBot.
The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):
- Castlevania III - The illusion (Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse)(NES)
- Doctor Hauzer Custom Music Edition (Doctor Hauzer)(3DO)
- Complete Silence status fix (Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest)(SNES)
- Castlevania Undead Serious Redemption (Castlevania)(NES)
- Junkoid (Metroid)(NES)
- Ocarina of Time - Gold Quest (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)(N64)
- Super Mario World: The Lost Adventure - Episode I REMASTERED (Super Mario World)(SNES)
- The 11th Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest: Collaboration Hack (Super Mario World)(SNES)
- Journey To The West - A Super Mario Bros Hack (Super Mario Bros.)(NES)
- MW III Logo Revamp (Wonder Boy in Monster World)(GEN)
- Lee Carvallo’s Putting Challenge (Lee Trevino’s Fighting Golf)(NES)
- Super Mario RPG: Armageddon (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)(SNES)
- Super Robot Wars Compact - Easier Hack (Super Robot Wars Compact for WonderSwanColor)(WS)
- Sonic 3D Blast Easy Mode (Sonic 3D Blast)(GEN)
- Super Popeye (Popeye)(NES)
- Summon Night: Swordcraft Story Extreme Mode (Summon Night Swordcraft Story)(GBA)
- 3 Eyes Boy 3HP&2HP hardmode (Mitsume ga Tooru)(NES)
- New York Nyankies 1HP 9lives (Rockin’ Kats)(NES)
- Taz In Escape from Mars SRAM (Taz in Escape from Mars)(GEN)
- Prince of Persia FastROM (Prince of Persia)(SNES)
- Fire Emblem: Bern 776 (Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade)(GBA)
- Kiki (Ice Climber)(NES)
- Mega Man 4: Helmetless (Mega Man 4)(NES)
- Ninja_Cat_2HP_1HP_nocontinue_HARDMODE (Kyattou Ninden Teyandee)(NES)
- Quest64 Hard Mode (Quest 64)(N64)
- Mega Man 5: Helmetless (Mega Man 5)(NES)
- Mega Man 6: Helmetless (Mega Man 6)(NES)
- Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen G Hack (Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen G)(GB)
- Megaman 7 SRAM hack (Mega Man 7)(SNES)
- Castlevania Aria of Sorrow Kaizo (Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow)(GBA)
- Super Robot Wars Compact 2-1 Easier Hack (Super Robot Taisen Compact 2 dai 1-bu: Chijo gekido-hen)(WS)
- Bomberman: 35th Anniversary Edition (Bomberman)(NES)
- Super Robot Wars Compact 3 Easier Hack (Super Robot Taisen Compact 3)(WS)
- Mega Man 1 Helmetless (Mega Man)(NES)
- Mega Man 2 Helmetless (Mega Man 2)(NES)
- The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse FastROM (The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse)(SNES)
- Waterworld (Better Controls) (Waterworld (Europe) (Proto))(GEN)
- Mega Man 3 Helmetless (Mega Man 3)(NES)
- Improved Controls (MIJET) (Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole)(GEN)
- Tetris 2 - More Battle Rounds (Tetris 2)(NES)
- Alundra Enemy Stat Restoration (Alundra)(PSX)
- Final Fantasy Tactics: Doublecast Red Mage (Final Fantasy Tactics)(PSX)
- Shadowrun mouse support (Shadowrun)(SNES)
- Donkey Kong: Anniversary Collection (Donkey Kong)(NES)
- Skidding Sound (Super Mario Bros.)(NES)
- Snoopy’s Magic Show DX (Snoopy’s Magic Show)(GB)
- Yoshi’s Safari (Joypad Version) (Yoshi’s Safari)(SNES)
- Dead party members gain EXP (Secret of Mana)(SNES)
- Dawn of Sorrow - Extra Items (Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow)(NDS)
- SRW3 Milder (Dai-3-Ji Super Robot Taisen)(SNES)
- HP & MP Overhaul (Secret of Mana)(SNES)
- Getsu Fuuma Den EasyType (Getsu Fuuma Den)(NES)
- Castlevania [Death Tally] (Castlevania)(NES)
- Final Fight 2 Readjusted (Final Fight 2)(SNES)
- Scooby Doo Mystery Password SRAM (Scooby-Doo Mystery)(GEN)
- Final Fight 3 SRAM (Final Fight 3)(SNES)
- No Flashing (Time Lord)(NES)
- Splatterhouse 2 - Score Bonus (Splatterhouse 2)(GEN)
- GUN-DEC 4HP hardmode (translated) (Vice: Project Doom)(NES)
- Ninja Gaiden - Death Counter (Ninja Gaiden)(NES)
- Super Mario Bros. Stored Item (Super Mario Bros.)(NES)
Manall's FF1 v2.1 Update
16 March 2022 1:12PM EST - Update by Manall
2.1 is the largest update since 2020. Included among the changes are several player-friendly upgrades to the documentation, monster and item tuning, an additional mystery box reward, and notably, a higher bonus to Thief starting luck. The maps which come with the mod have also been updated.
Also worth mentioning: this version corrects the oversight with the monster density patch from v2.04 - that patch is once again disabled by default as it was in previous versions.
Several entries in the patch notes are also a direct result of feedback from the players. ♥
Getsu Fuuma Den EasyType Hack Released
16 March 2022 11:53AM EST - Update by mentil
Do these screenshots resemble you attempting to play Getsu Fuuma Den? Never fear, Mentil is here, continuing his rampage against late-80s ARPGs with an EasyType hack to help tame its notorious difficulty level.
This Famicom game was (until, coincidentally, shortly before this hack’s release) only released in Japan, one of the best-known Konami games for the system to not leave the country.
How was it made easier?
- Upon returning to the overworld, all health is restored.
- Upon losing all lives and continuing the game, money is no longer halved.
- XP awards are doubled for all enemies. You should now reach max sword level shortly before you could potentially obtain a more-powerful weapon.
- For convenience, the purchasable sword will now be active at all times once obtained, with no need to equip it; it won’t become deactivated, either.
This hack is compatible with multiple versions/translations of the game as well. Enjoy, and happy demon slaying!
Super Mario RPG: Armageddon finally available!
14 March 2022 8:18AM EST - Update by Doomsday31415
If you’ve never heard of Super Mario RPG: Armageddon, you’ve been missing out!
This hack adds dozens of new bosses, tons of new mechanics, rebalanced/reimagined fights, and a bunch of other surprises. It’s easily the most ambitious and fleshed out SMRPG hack there is, and it’s finally available on ROMhacking.net!
It’s got Luigi. It’s got Pokémon. It’s got Rosalina. It’s got Final Fantasy Bosses. It’s got so much more. All ready and waiting for you.
I’d tell you more, but that would ruin the surprise. Go play it for yourself!
Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge released for NES
13 March 2022 12:24AM EST - Update by tygerbug
Welcome to Lee Carvallo’s Putting Challenge. Join golf legend Carvallo, and his rivals Gracie Driver, Big Raining and Miracle Monroe, for the ultimate golfing challenge on your Nintendo Entertainment System!
Lee Carvallo personally gives you advice on each course. Select your golf club, and guide your swing. Play for the title across thirty-six unique courses in the United States and Japan!
Fans of The Simpsons may remember the fully-voiced CD-ROM version released Christmas 1995, which Bart was disappointed to get instead of the violent fighting game Bonestorm.
This was a parody of “Lee Trevino’s Fighting Golf” by SNK, for NES, arcades, C64 and Tiger Handheld. This was a precursor to SNK’s popular Neo Turf Masters, and stars top golfer Lee Trevino as “Super Mex.” The 1988 NES game offers more complexity, challenge control than the original Golf on NES.
Hacking it into its Simpsons counterpart seemed obvious. That was also easier said than done, since the game’s graphics are coded strangely.
There’s a new title screen and font, and new names for the characters. Rani Baker (@destroyed4com4t) did the hacking while Garrett Gilchrist (@TygerbugGarrett) designed graphics and packaging art.
Would you like to play again?
Here is Robocop: Texas Edition, or in other words, the best Robocop videogame you can play on a NES
12 March 2022 11:07AM EST - Update by CryinOnion
3 months have passed since the release of this hack. And strangely enough, it has gone relatively unnoticed. And it is important to emphasize “strangely” because it is a masterpiece.
The concept is simple: Bring the experience of playing Robocop on Nintendo NES as close as possible to its Arcade counterpart. The result? A notable graphical improvement in sprites, backgrounds and everything related to the intro and cutscenes. Practically nothing is preserved from the original title, and that’s a good thing.
A notable improvement has also been made in the playable area by removing the battery bar (which decreases as time passes). This doesn’t really change the difficulty of the game, but it makes it less frustrating by not feeling the constant time pressure.
You can take a look at the associated link or simply download it and let SomeOldGuy’s work speak for itself.