Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star III: Toki no Keishousha
|Patching Information||BIN Format (GEN)|
|Game Date||20 April 1990|
|Release Date||10 October 2021|
|Last Modified||10 October 2021|
Phantasy Star III is the third entry of its classic RPG series. However, because of its medieval setting and its removal from the Algol solar system, there are many fans who consider it a black sheep.
This game suffers from rushed development, but it still has its merits. It has a generational system that was unique for its time and features several self-contained worlds that each have a different theme.
Important bugfix in V1.1: fixed the glitch/crash while selling items. It occurred on various emulators except Kega Fusion.
This is a project to re-localize all classic Phantasy Star games to Brazilian Portuguese. The intention is to bring to Portuguese speakers these games with a better translation, accentuation, consistency and standardization for names used in all four games, bugs corrections and some improvements.
- This work was made using the lory1990’s disassembler, so it carries a lot of bugs corrections. (credits: lory1990)
- We rewrote all game text! Now, the base text script was entirely based on the great translation from Japanese to English by Rebecca Capowsky.
- Characters now can walk faster by default (V1.1) (credits: lory1990)
- Palette color correction for lots of characters and certain cities (credits: Peaches)
- Aerone/Pilota armor shoplist correction to suit Nial/Lein’s generation, and, some chest finding at the last dungeon has been corrected (credits: Peaches)
- Warrior Kara evolutes better (credits: Peaches)
- New character sprites for Adan/Fuin, Crys/Noin and Siren.
- Fontwork from start screen edited and translated. Used Aridia tool made by Hughes Johnson.
- New fontwork for game texts.
- Technique list was corrected to follow the same pattern used in other Phantasy Star games (credits: Anime_World)
There is a total of 4 patches that groups the sub-versions bellow:
- A - two versions regarding the text script:
A1 - Original version: uses the names from Japanese release (even the cities). It has two exceptions: “Dark Phallus” was nasty, so “Dark Force” was chosen instead; and, Searren is called Wren here too.
A2 - Classic version: uses the names from American release, except that now Dark Force is called Dark Falz.
- B - two versions regarding the use of parallax effect in battles:
B1 - Parallax on: all the upper and ground battle scenarios now keeps moving, just like the Japanese game release;
B2 - Parallax off: just the upper battle scenarios moves and only when shows clouds and stars; just like the American game release..
So, here are the 4 BPS patches: orig+on, orig+off, class+on and class+off. The player must pick JUST ONE of them to apply in this rom: “Phantasy Star III - Generations of Doom (USA, Europe).md” - MD5=82c7bc027685cc8fc6c9e077beb1a75a Floating IPS is recommended for this task ( http://www.romhacking.net/download/utilities/1040/ ) More details about this relocalization can be found in the READ-ME file inside the zip package (written in Brazilian Portuguese)
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Phantasy Star III - Generations of Doom (USA, Europe, Korea)
- Database: No-Intro: Genesis (v. 20210226-213851)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 59D4914E652672FD1E453C76B8250D17E8CA154E
- File/ROM CRC32: C6B42B0F
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Mad-Dentist||Translation||Code, translation, graphic edit|
|Mad Nurse||Translation||Text translation|
|lory1990||Original Hacking||Disassembler and hard-coding|
|Peaches||Graphics||Palette color correction and hard-coding|
|Rebecca Capowski||Original Translation||Translation from original Japanese to English|