SD Snatcher (MSX2)
Super Deformed Snatcher
|Released By||Project Melancholia|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Game Date||27 April 1990|
|Patch Version||0.9.2 demo|
|Release Date||02 Jan 2014|
|Last Modified||21 May 2017|
If you’ve always thought that SD Snatcher was just a remake of Snatcher with cutesy characters, you’re wrong. Well okay, SD Snatcher IS a remake of Snatcher with cutesy characters, but there’s a lot more to it than that. The battle system has been completely changed to more of an RPG interface, and you can use different weapons that inflict more damage, and you even level up! It’s super total crazy, is what it is! And it’s really amazingly fun, too! The graphics are really nice, and the music, while not impressive (though I didn’t get far), is done really well with the special SCC sound cartridge that’s included in the game. A definite must-play game for any MSX user that, um, speaks Japanese.
This is new English translation of the highly renowned MSX2 role playing game SD Snatcher, released by Konami in 1990. As most of you probably know, this game had already been translated by a group of fan translators called Oasis relatively shortly after its release. This was not only the first translation Oasis ever did, but also the first fan translation ever of a videogame. No reverse engineering of any kind was conducted - they just replaced the original Japanese texts with English ones using a hex editor. Furthermore, their knowledge of Japanese was sufficient to make the translation they delivered, but, as they also admitted themselves, it was very far from perfect.
So, in short, Project Melancholia was started by a team that felt that this great game deserved a worthy translation. And that exact same team felt they would be capable to deliver it. You can read all about the background of the team and why we decided to translate SD Snatcher once again by going to the project website at http://www.project-melancholia.org/. If you want to know where we’re standing now, please read the progress report.
This patch is a demo only. The full translation patch is available for purchase at http://www.project-melancholia.org/order.html.
- Authentic translation from Japanese to English. No limitations due to space or any other technical reasons.
- A new proportional font, making use of both uppercase and lowercase characters.
- Text printing speed adjusted to English readers. Fitting use of pauses in printing and of printing speed.
- User name can now be up to seven characters (the name Gillian did not fit in the original six characters).
- Smoother animations on any turbo mode enabled MSX computer (MSX Turbo R, for example).
- System requirements remain the same: MSX2 with 64kB RAM.
- Distribution as IPS patch, so without violating any third party copyrights.
ROM / ISO Information:
- ZZZ-UNK-SD SNATCHER JAPANESE FOR SCC+[DISK 1].dsk
- CRC32: 74DF1878
- MD5: EC0BE7766B5DA5A1848D7B5A7D4FD6AE
- SHA-1: 4CEF12AE13334ED4F3F890311B641C1AD2BDC408
- SHA-256: AC1610AE782B706554A6D7034D49FEB1B7451C41B3A42DFEACC69075777140E3