Super Metroid Phazon Hack 0.3
Hack of Super Metroid
Super Metroid Phazon Hack 0.3
Hack of Super Metroid
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||28 December 2011|
|Last Modified||31 October 2015|
Super Metroid Phazon Hack 0.3 is a full rehack of SM Phazon hack. this hack has new rooms, items, enemies, and new graphics. The difficulty level is easier then most SM hacks.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Super Metroid (Japan, USA) (En,Ja).smc
- CRC32: D63ED5F8
- MD5: 21F3E98DF4780EE1C667B84E57D88675
- SHA-1: DA957F0D63D14CB441D215462904C4FA8519C613
- SHA-256: 12B77C4BC9C1832CEE8881244659065EE1D84C70C3D29E6EAF92E6798CC2CA72
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Can't wait for 1.0!Reviewed By: gdoddmeta3608 on 10 Jan 2012
Super Metroid: Phazon is the most enjoyable SM hack I have played so far, and it hasn’t even finished development yet. It stands by the formula of the original, with emphasis on exploration and immersion into the atmosphere (I was ‘immersed’ for close to 12 hours in the span of a few days). Still, there are a handful of nasty bugs and mistakes that will need to be corrected in future generations.
- SM: Phazon is given more of a technological feel to contrast the organic vibe set by the original SM, and it is executed almost perfectly. All of the sprites, backgrounds, gfx, etc are stunning.. Everything graphically has been reworked; enemies (most of which now take on a robotic appearance), beams (now in the style of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, complete with Dark Beam, Light Beam, and so on..), hatches and elevators, Samus’s phazon suits (these suits look VERY nice. Picture the Dark Samus suit from the Prime series with slight color variations of red, blue, purple… Very nicely done).
- All new areas with music tracks rearranged to suit them accordingly. The icy cavernous region, Omion Drift, plays just right to the theme of Maridia. What used to be the Tourian theme is given over to the dangerous Phazon Mine (more on this later), which is very much SM: Phazon’s take on the ‘Metroid Prime’ Phazon Mine. And the music that played in SM’s debriefing is now used for Tetrafuse, the embodiment of SM:P’s technologically savvy graphic direction, spanning across two giant militaristic bases.
- SM:P is very close to the original SM in difficulty.. It will NOT induce a hard-type headache. I was very pleased with this aspect having just finished the ’save state fest’ that is Super Metroid: Redesign. You won’t have to use states in this hack; the developers have provided us with a liberal amount of save stations.
- Gameplay flows very nicely, from acquired item/ability, to regional boss, to next area, and so on. All gameplay mechanics are retained from the original SM, with a few new ones added in: it can become addicting very fast..
- Bugs/Permastucks all over the place (as is to be expected with a 0.3 version). The final battle is especially broken; if you don’t get stuck in a wall from the outset, you can skip the fight entirely by taking the blue hatch on the left side. There are other problems with hatches throughout the game as well, and I’m not entirely sure if this is due to glitch or neglected programming, but there are some VERY odd choices in terms of which doors are initially locked, which doors stay locked, which doors unlock and when they unlock, etc…
- There is a greater sense of non linearity when it comes to the bosses. I can be LOADED with energy and missile tanks by the time I fight a boss that was intended for earlier confrontation, and so most of them were pushovers. The Kraid battle was notably anti-climactic (not to mention the 3+ bosses who are no shows in this hack).
- The most aesthetically pleasing and artistically driven section of SM:P, the lower Phazon Mine (the part with the Brinstar theme, which works wonders, by the way, when used in a later stage of the game), was over way too quickly; it really could be for SM:P what the crashed spaceship section was for Prime 1, or what Maridia was for the original SM… I really hope this part is built upon in future generations.
- A few minor complaints: The A.I. for the ’space pirate’ enemies is very bad. Sometimes they won’t even attack you even if you’re standing directly in front of them. AND they have absurd amounts of HP (other enemies have an excessive amount of HP as well). Also, no use is made out of the grappling beam other than opening a new type of hatch (which looks very much like the normal ‘blue’ hatch, causing me a bit of confusion early on). Surely more could have been made of the quintessential Metroid gadget, the Grappling Beam.. Lastly, the ‘new’ energy recharge stations are completely unnecessary (now, instead of going up to a station and recharging in a matter of 3 seconds, Samus has to stand in a ‘recharge zone’ for as long as 30 seconds to a minute). I found myself holding the turbo button when I needed to recharge.
- My biggest complaint with Super Metroid: Phazon is that there is no feasible storyline. You’re not even given a briefing as to what you’re supposed to be doing.. The game just starts with Dark Samus standing in the wreckage of what looks like a space pod. She’s been sent to this planet for some reason, too bad we don’t know what it is… I say this is my biggest complaint because it has nothing to do with bugs or glitches; it was a conscious decision by the creator NOT to include a storyline, and so there is probably no reason to believe there will ever be one in later generations.. Oh well..
- The new ‘Draygon’ design. Check it out if you don’t believe me!
Despite all of these negatives, I had tons of fun playing this romhack, and I would certainly recommend it to any fan of the Metroid series. Hopefully I can even be of some assistance to the creators if they happen to stumble upon my review.
Recommended - Yes
|Being bad never felt so good!||jm102887||24 May 2020||0.3||Yes|
|Impressive Hack||McDenDen||04 Dec 2016||0.3||Yes|
|Must-Play||bobblunderton||30 May 2016||0.3||Yes|
|Can't wait for 1.0!||gdoddmeta3608||10 Jan 2012||N/A||Yes|
|Just Plain Wow||MetroidMst||04 Jan 2012||N/A||Yes|