Hack of DOOM
Hack of DOOM
|Released By||D32XR Team|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Shooter|
|Hack Release Date||16 November 2021|
|Last Modified||17 November 2021|
This patch completely replaces the original engine, adding performance improvements and new features, as well as missing levels from the Jaguar port.
- Multi-region, supports both PAL and NTSC.
- Smoother yet faithful gameplay.
- Splitscreen coop and deathmatch modes.
- New title screen that resembles the Saturn and PlayStation versions.
- Rendering has been spread across both SH2 processors for better speed.
- User input is processed at 30FPS, while game logic runs at 15FPS.
- Low (two pixel modes) 128×144, 128×160, 160×180 and high detail 224×128, 252×144 video modes.
- FM Synth soundtrack courtesy of Spoony Bard
- Selecting between no music, VGM FM music, or playing music from attached Sega CD (requires Sega CD in addition to 32X).
- Stereo panning for game sounds.
- Save ram support - keeps track of finished levels, health, armor, weapons and ammo - eight save slots as well as an auto-save at the end of each level.
- Includes levels that were omitted from the original release.
- Restores sprite directions from the Jaguar version as well as in-fighting between monsters.
- Level fixes courtesy of Wavy.
- Spectres look the way they did in the original PC version.
- Jaguar Doom HUD assets.
- Three drawing modes: the regular sector based lighting (although it’s better than the original Doom 32X in that sprites also use this lighting, no more 100% bright sprites!), “potato” mode which doesn’t texture floors or ceilings for slightly better speed, or the original Doom fading light rendering (which is just a smidgen slower and looks a little muddy given the fifteen bit palette of the 32X).
- ‘Always run’ option.
- Support for three-button and six-button pads, as well as the Sega mouse. You can choose how to map the primary three buttons in the menu.
- Verified as working on Kega Fusion 3.64, a Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD + launch 32X, a CDX + 32X, with a NeoFlash NeoMyth MD and the V1 Mega EverDrive, and also with Mega EverDrive Pro.
Changes in v1.4:
- Added splitscreen coop and deathmatch modes.
- Fixed sounds effects being in mono on real hardware.
- Memory and CPU optimizations.
- Changed 240p PAL mode to use letter-boxing instead of vertical stretching.
- Pressing START button during the finale screen restarts the game now.
Changes in v1.3:
- New status bar graphics, that more closely match the PC original, by Wavy.
- New “PAL Aspect ratio” option, which increases vertical screen resolution by 16 pixels, allowing the game graphics to be unsquished on PAL.
- Improved UI responsiveness.
- Restored bridge across the lava in MAP22 that had been missing in the Jaguar version of the map.
Changes in v1.2b:
- Fixed strobe lights flickering too fast.
- Tweaked timings for the hold mode of the START button.
Changes in v1.2a:
- Improved compatibility with SRAM saves on older Everdrive models.
Changes in v1.2:
- Smooth 30FPS doors and platforms.
- The DOOM logo now scrolls during introduction sequence like it does in PSX version the game.
- Added XZ strafe mapping to options.
- Menu wasn’t visible in automap mode.
- Improved auditory cues in menus.
- Pressing MODE + START now switches to fist.
- Fixed gibbing animation in HUD.
- Strafing now follows the USE action mapping, instead of being hardcoded to “C”.
- Corrected monster animation speed on finale screen and added shot sounds.
- The “New game” menu now remembers the last selected map until game’s restarted.
Changes in v1.1b:
- Automap scaling isn’t reset on loading a save state anymore.
- Fixed an occasional Z_Free error in map selection menu.
Changes in v1.1a:
- Fixed chainsaw sounds.
Changes in v1.1:
- Added E3M3 “Deep Into the Code” music track.
- Added support for dedicated strafe buttons (Y&Z or C&Z, Y for Use).
- Fixed double damage taken in lava and slime.
- Fixed powerups expiring at double rate.
- The ‘always run’ mode no longer toggles fast turning.
- Lost souls should now bounce off floors and ceilings (vanilla Doom bug).
- Draw map titles in menus.
- Navigation is menus should feel snappier now.
- Removed the framerate option from video settings.
- Programming: Victor Luchits, Joseph Fenton
- Music: Spoony Bard https://www.patreon.com/SpoonyBard
- Level fixes: Wavy
- Additional support: MatteusBeus, TrekkiesUnite118, Barone
- Programming and reverse engineering: James Haley
- Additional code: Samuel Villarreal, Rebecca Heineman
- id Software
- Songbird Productions
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Doom (Europe)
- Database: No-Intro: Genesis (v. 20210226-213851)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 4EC03C2114EBFFBBCD16859583340D4EA4CD8DD5
- File/ROM CRC32: 53734E3A
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
a hack with all the trimmings, astoundingReviewed By: donus87 on 24 Oct 2021
I have the MED Pro, but, I don’t have the 32X, which is why I tried it on the kega fusion emulator. and I must say that it is done really well. my compliments. not only are both episodes restored (shame about episode 3 Inferno, but oh well) but there are many additional features that do not hurt, indeed improve Doom. good, good and again GOOD :D
Version 1.1 Recommended - Yes
|One of the best hack projects ive seen!||scorpion23||16 Nov 2021||1.4||Yes|
|Fantastic job||cireza||07 Nov 2021||1.3||Yes|
|Perfect||José luis||07 Nov 2021||1.3||Yes|
|Amazing work..||2spaz||03 Nov 2021||1.2b||Yes|
|Congratulations||Flaviogames||03 Nov 2021||1.2a||Yes|
|32x DOOM the right way... Finally!||Pyron||27 Oct 2021||1.1b||Yes|
|a hack with all the trimmings, astounding||donus87||24 Oct 2021||1.1||Yes|
|The game that should have been released||HappySpaceInvdr||23 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|Definitive Doom Experience on 32x||DurradonXylles||21 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|An excellent effort and great rework!||lexluthermiester||18 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|A Simply Necessary Patch||Paolo||17 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|